Path of Exile seems to perform poorly on ATI/AMD cards?

"
Henry_GGG wrote:
"
Duckz wrote:
If upgrading your vid card is really one of the only options do you guys at ggg have any recommendations? My 6670 is unbearable in parties and when I watch some streamer play it gets frustrating seeing the insane fps they're getting. I don't mind upgrading if it means being able to play in parties again but I wanna make sure I'm buying a vid card that's going to work ok.

Hey there,

The problem is that we can't really say 'go out and buy this graphics card and you'll get stable 60fps no matter what', as there could be other factors that are contributing to the problem.

If you make a new thread and post up a DxDiag report we can take a look at your full system spec's and offer you advice/suggestions on how to improve things, if possible.

Thanks. Ill do just that when I get a chance.
Since im also having issues with FPS i guess i will contribute to this thread. Right now i have a Sapphire 7970 (running beta drivers at the moment and OCed to 1050/1500/stock volts) and the issue im running in with is dropping to 1 FPS every so often even though im always at a constant 60 FPS. I usually only experience this when i first load a new spell effect. but it does sometimes drop still even when i have everything loaded.

Im not really sure what to do to fix it, right now i have downclocked my GPU to see if that did anything and it did work a little with the frequency of the FPS dips. I have also run the game as admin but i dont see much difference in that.

if anyone comes up with a "ghetto" way to temporarily fix (or atleast fixed it for you) please speak up!
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
"
Sawm wrote:
"
CheapShot wrote:
Has GGG officially acknowledged his issue? I have the same problems with a 6770m.

Hopefully soon we will have Response regarding a fix. even in party's of 2-3 I can get severe FPS drops. If I could make the game look like total shit to play without fps drops...I would.

They have acknowledged that people are having problems, the problem is that they can't reproduce the problem with multiple hardware configurations.

And it's not so much the GFX card or driver problem but how the game loads things (skills,textures,effects) which causes a small pause that shows on the fps counter which only gets worse in a group, things like ice shot and discharge are pretty bad for it

They NEED a setting HELL they can hide it in the config if they so much as care so much about how there game looks. but they NEED a setting that lets us remove or at least lower the max amount of particles that can be loaded at a time. obviously my 250$ graphic card has no issues with other games particles i have tested multiple games and even tested using benchmarks on very high settings getting quite nice results. GGG you KNOW people with amd are quitting because of the lag. you know it. if you dont you are not paying attention to the right people. the right posts. i cant believe GGG has yet to release a patch with this option yet...yet they add support to twitch.tv so your losing players to fps ishues because your particle system if going to shit on random graphic cards, good ones. hell some people with the best cards out reported ishues... its your game take care of it and its players. hackers made particle limiter/remover in few weeks on there spare time and people with this issue who did not mind getting banned(i guess? i am not getting banned to play a game the way it should play.) used it and claimed it fixed there issues. So where is the setting in the config? why isint this a thing? im not lying or making this up. my friends list if full. and about 60 of those were people who had amd and said laged and ended up quitting because various reasons but most of the ones i had a chance to talk to before they left complained about the game not supporting there graphic card. few come back ones in a while make a char solo. then leave again because of lag. its sad. to see that the games losing people just because you wont add a simple limit to something that has always been a ishue. Your making a wonderful game but ignoring all the real problems.

#1 thing you need. is to keep your players. not only the ones who so happen to have the "right" graphic card. you KNOW the ishue comes from the particles. Do something. i dont want to be another statistic you dont care about :(.

-with love. Sawm.
hit me up @sarrow lets have fun :D
"
Sawm wrote:
They NEED a setting HELL they can hide it in the config if they so much as care so much about how there game looks. but they NEED a setting that lets us remove or at least lower the max amount of particles that can be loaded at a time. obviously my 250$ graphic card has no issues with other games particles i have tested multiple games and even tested using benchmarks on very high settings getting quite nice results. GGG you KNOW people with amd are quitting because of the lag. you know it. if you dont you are not paying attention to the right people. the right posts. i cant believe GGG has yet to release a patch with this option yet...yet they add support to twitch.tv so your losing players to fps ishues because your particle system if going to shit on random graphic cards, good ones. hell some people with the best cards out reported ishues... its your game take care of it and its players. hackers made particle limiter/remover in few weeks on there spare time and people with this issue who did not mind getting banned(i guess? i am not getting banned to play a game the way it should play.) used it and claimed it fixed there issues. So where is the setting in the config? why isint this a thing? im not lying or making this up. my friends list if full. and about 60 of those were people who had amd and said laged and ended up quitting because various reasons but most of the ones i had a chance to talk to before they left complained about the game not supporting there graphic card. few come back ones in a while make a char solo. then leave again because of lag. its sad. to see that the games losing people just because you wont add a simple limit to something that has always been a ishue. Your making a wonderful game but ignoring all the real problems.

#1 thing you need. is to keep your players. not only the ones who so happen to have the "right" graphic card. you KNOW the ishue comes from the particles. Do something. i dont want to be another statistic you dont care about :(.

-with love. Sawm.

They should add a slider or an option to control the particle effects, but tbh i don't think it will solve the problems you or i have, it would only really help those on older graphics to run the game more smoothly than they do.
They have hired another programer to help with the graphics(the last i heard about a month or so ago) so it's not getting ignored it's just taking time because they are not a big company with oodles of money to throw at the problem and make it go away...i would expect some sort of fix before the game goes live in October but it still might not fix all the fps spikes.

As for twitch...not something i would have added personally but it must have been fairly quick and easy to add.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Jul 19, 2013, 1:01:44 PM
I have a AMD 7950 OC card and having FPS issues like everyone else. However I found doing the following steps helped significantly:

1. Window screen
2. turn off: vsync and post processing
3. Run MSI afterburner and run a FPS limit of 53. (or whatever one you use)
4. While playing in game, Hide Global and Trade chat
5. reduce quality of shadows/no shadows (I don't this b/c i like the shadows)

I run 53 FPS as it caps from 0 to 57 fps when I press F1. Prevents it from screen tearing. Anyways, its not magic and you will experience some fps bottlenecks running maps with a party but, instead of 2 fps i'm dropping to about 20 fps when it starts and then rarely go below 40. Seems like the initial start, my graphics card is running at 10% and realizes to get off it's ass and start working. (anyone know if you can turn off energy saver?) Perhaps if AMD find tunes their driver for POE this may be resolved :p
"
Vince85 wrote:
I have a AMD 7950 OC card and having FPS issues like everyone else. However I found doing the following steps helped significantly:

1. Window screen
2. turn off: vsync and post processing
3. Run MSI afterburner and run a FPS limit of 53. (or whatever one you use)
4. While playing in game, Hide Global and Trade chat
5. reduce quality of shadows/no shadows (I don't this b/c i like the shadows)

I run 53 FPS as it caps from 0 to 57 fps when I press F1. Prevents it from screen tearing. Anyways, its not magic and you will experience some fps bottlenecks running maps with a party but, instead of 2 fps i'm dropping to about 20 fps when it starts and then rarely go below 40. Seems like the initial start, my graphics card is running at 10% and realizes to get off it's ass and start working. (anyone know if you can turn off energy saver?) Perhaps if AMD find tunes their driver for POE this may be resolved :p

Did you test if running in a Windowed (Fullscreen) mode has the same effect as just Windowed? Also, when you set it to Windowed, did you set it to your normal screen res (say 1920x1080) or something lower?
From my experience, resolution has no effect on the slow down. I can't explain why, but my system ran better in windowed mode than in fullscreen. I'm also running catalyst 13.6 beta 2 with latest CAP profile.
"
Vince85 wrote:
(anyone know if you can turn off energy saver?)

You can force the card to run at maximum speed all the time by enabling overdrive, creating a new profile and then changing the profil file which includes a hidden value for idle clock.
I posted a guide what to do in one of the threads here, but it didn't help sadly. If you want to try it nevertheless, u can search the thread or hit me with a PM.
IGN: Darkrox (not my main, just for easy contact)
~ Yes i'm the Darkrox from Runes of Magic - World's #1 Guild Pravum 2009 - 2011 ~
Last edited by Darkrox on Jul 21, 2013, 3:41:56 AM
i have a 280x his turbo and i have upgraded from a gtx 560 on the 560 i played the game max and would always have around 100 frames idle would get frame studder but maybe only once in a while now i can't even cap 70fps if i try to make any changes to the video settings at all i get a 3d reference zero count error crash and the game is just not playable for me now :/ p.s i should try to repair the game?
I just replaced my ATI 6850 due to a defect, using my old Nvidia 8800 GTS 640MB and its running way better than on the 6850. How dafuq is a 8y old card faster in this game than actual stuff? :D
ign: AdmiralThrawnx (Ons), Diavolixxx/Leavemealoneplx (HC)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info