We all trash talked D3, but is there any feature that D3 does better than PoE?

Endgame content and performance.
D3 = Hack N Slash, Arcade Game that is trying to grow up to be an ARPG so people will love it.
POE = Trade Simulator, Slot Machine that has an entire world created so you can test gear you trade for.

D3 = "If we give them loot, they will come."
PoE = "If we give them loot, they will leave."

D3 = Completely geared out in 2 weeks of game play.
PoE = Completely geared out in 2 weeks of trading, market-flipping, and poe.trade sniping.

D3 = Crit or GTFO.
PoE = Life or GTFO.

D3 = Infinite paragon levels, with consistent forward progression, so players believe in the illusion that they are getting stronger.
POE = Finite levels, with 2-steps-forward-1-step-back progression, that is gated by RNG so players believe in the illusion that they are getting stronger.

D3 = Players play the game and wish they could trade.
PoE = Players trade and wish they could play the game.

Last edited by Prizy on Aug 14, 2015, 12:35:12 PM
"
i8037 wrote:
Endgame content and performance.

Performance, maybe although with lockstep, I think PoE is at least rapidly closing the gap there. Gotta disagree on endgame though. Sure D3's endgame is theoretically endless, but in reality, you're just running the same few maps over and over again with progressively larger numbers. Aside from the bigger numbers, nothing actually changes beyond a certain point and it's possible to reach that point in D3 WAY too quickly in my opinion. You can start from nothing and have a character fully equipped in your endgame gear set within a week or two. After that, it's endlessly grinding until you can get a new version of the same item you already have, but with 10 more str so you can move up to one level higher greater rifts. With PoE, maybe the top 1% or so of players will hit that point in a couple weeks as well, but the VAST majority won't...and may not hit that point at all within a league.

And with PoE, at least you can roll different mods on all of the maps which actually DO sometimes change how you have to play them. You can try a much wider variety of builds and actually need to invest some time into leveling them instead of just swapping out a couple pieces of gear(most of the items will be the same for all builds on a class anyway), instantly respeccing, and running right back out there 2 minutes later, only to get bored with that build as well a couple days later.

What D3 DOES do well is this: It's a great game if you just want to run out and slaughter a bunch of demons and not have to think too much about it. If you just want to have an insanely overpowered character. In short, it's great for the average casual player.

And maybe it's better for the ultra-min/maxers as well who want to be able to see just how far they CAN push their characters and never hit some hard limit where they can't progress further.

But I'd say PoE is vastly superior for just about anyone in between those two extremes.
"
D3 = Hack N Slash, Arcade Game that is trying to grow up to be an ARPG so people will love it.
POE = Trade Simulator, Slot Machine that has an entire world created so you can test gear you trade for.

PoE = Completely geared out in 2 weeks of trading, market-flipping, and poe.trade sniping.

D3 = Crit or GTFO.
PoE = Life or GTFO.

D3 = Infinite paragon levels, with consistent forward progression, so players believe in the illusion that they are getting stronger.
POE = Finite levels, with 2-steps-forward-1-step-back progression, that is gated by RNG so players believe in the illusion that they are getting stronger.

D3 = Players wish they could trade
PoE = Players wish there was a better way to trade OR some wish they didn't have to trade at all

LOL, this is priceless. :)

Kudos, Prisus, you've nailed it!
"
Ceri wrote:
"

D3 = Crit or GTFO.
PoE = Life or GTFO.

D3 = Players wish they could trade
PoE = Players wish there was a better way to trade OR some wish they didn't have to trade at all

LOL, this is priceless. :)

Kudos, Prisus, you've nailed it!

lol edited my last one to be clearer...

but yeah...it's pretty much the truth of it.
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Endgame is 100x better but so is starring at the wall or watching grass grow. network code.

^ This! Sad but true.
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
"

D3 = Crit or GTFO.
PoE = Life or GTFO.

You win.
"
"

D3 = Crit or GTFO.
PoE = Life or GTFO.

You win.

+1
Timezone: PST (California)
I never trashed it. Its in a good place right now and I even loved it at launch, crazy huh? But The Awakening eats up all of my playtime, it's just so, so fuckin' good.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"

I never played D games cause all u do is click movable objects to death

I play PoE cause of the graphics, animations and the passive tree,
and mostly the atmosphere ...

if u start trading outside of the game, just stop playin and look for something more interesting ... harsh but true

What is the Matrix? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XDNGBTsi5U

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info