Are you finding Divination cards useful or fun?

The intended design goal of giving players a way to farm to specific items have failed, and it's obvious that it's because the economy was prioritised.

The solution could be relatively simply. Significantly increase the drop rate of divination cards for gear of all kind and make it so that whatever equipment you obtain from those cards is soulbound (cannot trade it).
Last edited by Khargan on Aug 3, 2015, 3:56:03 AM
"
Khargan wrote:
The intended design goal of giving players a way to farm to specific items have failed, and it's obvious that it's because the economy was prioritised.

The solution could be relatively simply. Significantly increase the drop rate of divination cards for gear of all kind and make it so that whatever equipment you obtain from those cards is soulbound (cannot trade it).

I think this is a good idea, but unfortunately I never see GGG actually implementing something like this. And it seems like such an obvious solution that I'm sure it was brought up in a meeting and was rejected.
Dynamic Environment - Day/Night, Rain/Lightning - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/110100

GGG's design philosophy in three words:
Quantity over Quality.
"
TigerSpook wrote:
I am wondering about the experiences the players having with Divination cards. I've only turned in a set or two, and nothing of consequence.

I like the idea. They sure seem rare, though not as rare as Chaos orbs. But then again, we generally need so many Divination cards...

So far, I like them. I think they add.

I'd be curious to read other opinions or hear anecdotes of successes or failures with them.

In my experience, they are fucking useless.
I like the general economic effect of some div cards, i.e. making Tabula, BoR, Mjolner and Voll's Devotion more accessible. It provides some balance to the current atrocious drop rates.

From a purely individual standpoint, if we disregard poe.trade effects, the answers to the OP's question are: no, and no.

The cards which are good and interesting hardly ever drop, and the ones who drop are boring and/or useless.

The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
I find them a very nice addition...

When I find one, it generates a bit of excitement when I look at what it is, especially if it is one I haven't seen before. When I complete a set, it generates a sense of accomplishment.

The main problem many people seem to have is that their expectations for them were (very) wrong. How on earth people deceived themselves into believing that they'd now be able to get uber items with a little bit of farming is beyond me.

To expect GGG to screw up the economy by making drops of cards plentiful was self-delusion (at best)...

Comparing drop frequency to how fast you can farm currency to buy from the market is not relevant. If you buy item X from the market, no new item X is added to the game economy, but if you get one from cards, it is!
The correct comparison when evaluating if you can use cards to 'farm' for an item is the comparative drop factor for that item. Given that, it will on average be faster to farm for example a 'Pledge of Hands' in the docks, than it would be to hope for it to drop naturally. The cards thus does fulfil the promised function.

The flaw is in players expectation that this acquisition would be hugely easier.
Last edited by Cyzax on Aug 3, 2015, 7:35:27 AM
The negative feelings of the community would be drastically reduced, if GGG make a very slight change. Increase the drop-rate, but also increase the required stack to get the reward (i.e. 50-100 stack), even if that doesn't change the overall time needed to get the reward.
It's just too demotivating to make 20 runs on a zone without a single card drop.
I think part of the problem is having unrealistic expectations, seems to be when people saw there was an exalted orb one for example all they would need to do is find out what zone it dropped and thirty minutes later they'd be knee deep in exalted orbs.

I like the idea that if I wanted say a 6L Astral Plate but couldn't quite afford it I could go and farm a couple of cards and buy the rest. Although could well be wrong I don't remember a statement saying they were put in to help self found players, is that a conclusion people just jumped to?
"
TigerSpook wrote:
Are you finding Divination cards useful or fun?

Yes, I like them they are a nice addition to this game.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/913599 <--- mirror Thread
I am quite enjoying the divination cards as a ooooooo shiny kind of thing, I don't farm for them I just collect them as they drop.

It would be great if they had custom art though kinda hard to work through them when they all look the same.
"
Ire_of_Desire wrote:
The negative feelings of the community would be drastically reduced, if GGG make a very slight change. Increase the drop-rate, but also increase the required stack to get the reward (i.e. 50-100 stack), even if that doesn't change the overall time needed to get the reward.
It's just too demotivating to make 20 runs on a zone without a single card drop.

This...
And the soulbound thing.

A feeling of progress is all we need.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info