Cleave

"
SerBasterd wrote:
Most of the community seems to feel that Ground Slam is far and away the best melee attack in this game

That is definitely a big problem for players unless GGG intends the game to be like this. However, with the whole "build of the week," I think GGG should have more tricks up their sleeves.
HC IGN: OrlandoFlorida / TheRoadBackToOriath
"
ongZ wrote:
Hey, I am playing with my dual wielding duelist atm, and I found 2x claws. I am wondering: Why doesn't they work with cleave? It would make sense from a graphical view, as it would be like scratching 2 claws in the face of the enemies.
Claws are not long enough weapons to actually cleave a person.
"
SerBasterd wrote:
Most of the community seems to feel that Ground Slam is far and away the best melee attack in this game (especially considering that most of the damage you deal in this game will probably be some form of AoE damage). I think Cleave, along with other skills, need to be relatively more competitive.

One of the ways that I think the developers could achieve this is perhaps by increasing the radius of Cleave. I am under the impression that many would like this change.
I believe you're overestimating the number of people who feel this way. Cleave has always been considered a powerful skill as well, and for much for the beta was considered generally superior to ground slam.
From what I've gathered, many people have taken a liking to ground slam from watching Kripp use it, but people are still using and enjoying Cleave, and it's still good at what it does. It has shorter range, but wider spread, making it much better than ground slam when you're surrounded.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
It has shorter range, but wider spread, making it much better than ground slam when you're surrounded.

Yes, but the fact is that with GS you dont even have to go melee tange to use it, so with a smart playing you will NEVER get surrounded!
You can play with something like a "ranged melee"wtf, we have already full hp archers being more competitive than the more fragile and dps ones, now we want melee marauders with ranged style combat?:\
I think GS should have a "point blank" style effect; it deals more damage the closer the target is, and vice versa.
So people will stop using it as a "ahah!I got 4000 hp and you can't even touch me!" skill
Except when I play with cleave on my shadow, I can essentially do the same thing. Sure the "ranged melee" window isn't as wide, but I honestly attack fast enough and hit hard enough that I can somewhat reliably stunlock things that are in the range of my cleave (at least that's what appears to be happening)and I have no passives or supports that should be increasing the AoE of cleave, so, while I'm all for buffing cleave. I don't think it's a good call to basically make it a reskinned Ground Slam.
Perhaps I'm a niche case with my use of cleave.
Why am I wearing a heavy belt if I haven't got any pants?
"
haitu wrote:
"
SerBasterd wrote:
Most of the community seems to feel that Ground Slam is far and away the best melee attack in this game

That is definitely a big problem for players unless GGG intends the game to be like this. However, with the whole "build of the week," I think GGG should have more tricks up their sleeves.

There's also the part where Cleave is the premiere Dual Wield AoE attack. Ele damage nerfs have certainly changed things a lot, but in 9.8 cleave completely outperformed Groundslam in the DPS department.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
ongZ wrote:
Hey, I am playing with my dual wielding duelist atm, and I found 2x claws. I am wondering: Why doesn't they work with cleave? It would make sense from a graphical view, as it would be like scratching 2 claws in the face of the enemies.
Claws are not long enough weapons to actually cleave a person.

Wouldn't such logic also dictate that the Thrusting Swords class of weapons are incapable of cleaving, due to the lack of a sharp edge with which to cut and generally more flexible nature of such swords?

I don't need an actual answer, as I understand that some measure of suspension of disbelief is required in all games. I ask this mostly out of desire for some form of AoE for claws (and daggers) that's more reliable than whirling blades, especially for dual-wielding. And this is a video game, the impossible is more than possible, maybe a person can swing their claw with such force that a shockwave is created to cleave the target.

P.S Try taking a real claw and a thrusting sword and whack them against a dummy then tell me which creates more of a cleaving effect. ^_^
Last edited by Aplier on Aug 30, 2012, 9:16:24 AM
Weapon restrictions don't distinguish between regular and thrusting swords. They're all swords. Otherwise thrusting swords would probably not work with Cleave.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Weapon restrictions don't distinguish between regular and thrusting swords. They're all swords. Otherwise thrusting swords would probably not work with Cleave.

Do you intend to make this distinction later ?
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
No. We do have the capability to have skills distinguish between them, we actively choose not to. The general feeling is that having some things apply to only certain kinds of swords would be confusing, ad many players just think of all of them as 'swords' and don't mentally separate the two groups.
I use cleave as main attack on right click because i like the area of damage better than the one of GS.
Although, the animation is not as accurate as i'd like it to be, because sometimes i hit mobs which are a little away and don't hit mobs which are very close (also it doesn't feel like an accuracy vs evasion thing, but more like a problem real character location and mob location). I don't really know about how to describe it, it just feels a little off.
Anyways, thats a minor thing because when learn how to use it, the problem is gone, and it's a very good skill.
"The harder the game, the better."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info