Cleave

My only problem with this skill is that it does not feel as visceral as some of the other ones. It is called 'Cleave' but when I perform the attack it sounds more like 'Swipe'. Basically a more full and 'gut-wrenching' sound effect could go a long way.

Thanks for the great game :)
The advantage of cleave over ground slam is in its dual wield support and the fun fact that when dual-wielding it doesn't reduce weapon elemental damage compared to normal attack as it does with physical part. Elemental part is actually boosted by 40% in case of hit with both weapons which can be pretty significant if you run elemental-heavy build with lots of auras and added elemental damage supports on cleave and use fast weapons.
Respect your passive skills and they shall respect you in turn.
Last edited by raic000 on Sep 17, 2012, 1:09:11 PM
raic000,

Pointing out a likely bug (at least, it appears that way) as an advantage for cleave doesn't exactly make me want to go out and use it.
"
kadrek91 wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
It has shorter range, but wider spread, making it much better than ground slam when you're surrounded.

Yes, but the fact is that with GS you dont even have to go melee tange to use it, so with a smart playing you will NEVER get surrounded!
You can play with something like a "ranged melee"wtf, we have already full hp archers being more competitive than the more fragile and dps ones, now we want melee marauders with ranged style combat?:\
I think GS should have a "point blank" style effect; it deals more damage the closer the target is, and vice versa.
So people will stop using it as a "ahah!I got 4000 hp and you can't even touch me!" skill

This is the problem with cleave vs groundslam. The privilege of aoe'ing from mid-range with groundslam as opposed to more or less straight up melee with cleave is huuuge. Not only in terms of risk, but in terms of killing speed as well.

I'm a level 73 dual strike/cleave duelist, and this is what I've noticed. Cleave only shines when you have very fast mobs that surround you, like monkeys. But more often than not, you're fighting slow mobs like golems and zombies, where there's 3-5 zombies on the screen, and they are fairly spread apart, so cleave isn't viable at all, because the reach is so low, but with groundslam you can just aoe all of them easily. I have to run around a bit and "round them up" before i can cleave them, or just use dual strike on each one, which often times is faster...

The same applies for archers - with ground slam you can aoe all or most of them, but with cleave you're better off just picking them off 1 by 1 with dual strike.

This, I imagine, is one of the reasons marauders dominate on the ladder - because they can aoe very very easily and constantly kill very large packs of mobs. This is not the case with cleave.

I wanted to point this problem out, because the true melee (cleave) vs ranged melee (ground slam) has already been beaten to death.

I would like to see improvements to cleave. Things like, a built in life leech or life on hit, to compensate for the risk. Maybe an interesting mechanic, like the more mobs you're hitting at once, the more damage you do to each.

I think this would make a lot of duelists happy...
Last edited by Pictionary on Sep 23, 2012, 12:50:54 PM
Minor nitpick: Cleave is not melee range.
Cleave's range is longer than melee range by the same amount that ground slam's range is longer than cleave.
I'd be curious to know if anyone is running Cleave with max possible +AOE increase? I'm planning a witch build that will look like this. And I'm wondering how big my cleave AOE will get:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQMAAM5rSAM5K8wHJsqWB4wTLAh6wpwKqDEdC7z2zgvqr3ManVm0IXnaeiYCROMnr18DMNo5cDLquew1hPLeNtIc6j2hNr0_nl9NQkzWvElHOJxKxdMKSwYla0yv9UNNM76rV2DFvVqo2SFbPAaMW6lBsVzZ3xRdVbLmYLjxCGM6v8hmxzXbZ2J6umfCl6d3ABYJfMAh3pYcZWri9gc99Tm6j_2YbdO9IbtWzcpmY9szIri8gbjmqb8HYvTkamaJLEgPsYq4eo-7lnXIOTABnCM8rNkJHdmcxUTN95J9zefx0F6TeKvwypGQXIfeJZOMWT7vzZ9SmZr5EKW_R5ecyo6YiOcJ6irImb0C48G0B7Szwc6h5oQ13UeLzbu68n6phOJL5K_cDvhfsjPrYAuN2GapJb0pmYCysMcx4uPL_-AiIh_lY9BU_ovirvNf7VaqBTpWgMkz1cJjtpC8R97gpBGAxQ==

My planned build set up will be: Cleave + More Melee Damage + More Melee Damage While Full Life + More AOE

My last supports I'm considering are:
Concentrated Effect (this would multiply Cleave's damage by about 50% but bring it back to be about the same size as it is normally, if a little larger)
Faster Attacks or Mana Leech (not sure which one I'll need more)

This build should potentially give more damage than simply grabbing a lot of +sword damage nodes, because of my support gem set up

(1.3~ are low rank increased physical melee damage/melee damage while on full life; which are both "more damage" which means they are multiplicative with each other and 'more area damage')

1.3*1.3*1.5*1.28 = *3.2448

1.28 comes from my +28% increased damage with swords

And then, when you consider my critical multiplier, and diamond flasks... well, this build could be potentially devastating in PVP.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Sep 25, 2012, 9:33:32 PM
works well with a number of builds. balanced.
I seem to keep missing some mobs that I should be hitting. I read somewhere from a GGG member, that accuracy and crit is rolled ONE TIME for each aoe attack. Which means if I hit one mob, I should hit all of them (unless they block).

But sometimes when I'm fighting mbos that I imagine don't block, monkeys, archers, etc. I cleave and hit 2+ in melee range, they die. But one or more that are in between and mixed in with the other mobs, seem to go unscathed.

Possibly de-sync or lag... but it seems strange that they can go untouched to me.
"
JoesGetNDown wrote:
I seem to keep missing some mobs that I should be hitting. I read somewhere from a GGG member, that accuracy and crit is rolled ONE TIME for each aoe attack. Which means if I hit one mob, I should hit all of them (unless they block).
This is true for crit, not for accuracy.
Ah, okay thanks for the response. I was getting a little upset. But if its designed that way then I have 0 problem with it. I'm used to accuracy working that way in other games anyways, thanks again Mark!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info