The forums aren't fun anymore

Oh c'mon mate there's tons. Just that some things don't really have a place on a videogame forum, no matter how mature that game is.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"
Xavderion wrote:

Yeah this forum is slowly becoming like NeoGAF. NeoGAF went to shit once it got some tumblr-tier mods (this is not a jab at Bex btw she's doing a great job). A couple of days ago there was a thread about some hot dog seller in New York who was scamming tourists by selling them hot dogs for 30(!) dollars. Some people pointed out that those tourists were dumbasses and they got instabanned from the forum for 'victim blaming'. I'll never visit that forum ever again lol.

wow, lets hope the moderation never becomes this terrible.
I believe Bex is indeed trying to improve it. but im still a bit concerned
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on May 25, 2015, 10:32:26 PM
"
TheWretch wrote:
Oh c'mon mate there's tons. Just that some things don't really have a place on a videogame forum, no matter how mature that game is.

well, while I didnt see them, I dont mean to imply that by you not linking to them means they dont exist. That would be a fallacy. But well, lets make an experiment, why dont you try to say a few jokes and see what's acceptable and whats not? it needs to be dark humour ofc :p
Oblivious
I'm not a funny person, I cant just make up jokes off the top of my head :p I can say i've personally posted all kinds of weird, gross or downright wtf stuff before. There's not much GGG don't tolerate if its within reason of the given context.

I feel people are maybe a tad defensive which is an understandable reaction when changes are coming but I'm sure it will be for the best. So far so good.

Last edited by TheWretch on May 26, 2015, 12:30:19 AM
"
TheWretch wrote:
I'm not a funny person, I cant just make off jokes off the top of my head :p I can say i've personally posted all kinds of weird, gross or downright wtf stuff before. There's not much GGG don't tolerate if its within reason of the given context.

I feel people are maybe a tad defensive which is an understandable reaction when changes are coming but I'm sure it will be for the best. So far so good.

I posted a Hitler gif the other day and got 24 hour probation for it. It was Hitler looking sad/distressed with the caption 'what has the world come to?'. 100% harmless shit but it got deleted and I got banned. I wouldn't even call it dark humor I guess for real dark humor I'd get a 30 day ban..
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
And from the ashes, a NEW forum shall arise!

Spoiler
which may or may not contain fishing references...
"
Bex_GGG wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I feel the "illegal drugs" issue is one of the biggest new changes. In some parts of the US marijuana use is outright legal... and in the rest of the US, it's kind of a joke, likely to be legalized in the next few decades. But in NZ it is illegal and mods will now put a quick end to it. Unfortunately this makes certain "harmless" American pop culture references (notably Snoop and Jay from the Kevin Smith movies) ridiculously unquotable in these forums.

I've been looking into this and discussing it with the team to get opinions. I agree it's counter intuitive to having a mature forum to ban these kinds of statements.

In terms of illegal drug references - we're going to update the rule:

Illegal Content - Content that advocates, glorifies or promotes illegal activity. Discussion of how to commit illegal activities, discussion of the use or acquisition of illegal substances, or posts that violate a law in and of themselves. This applies to illegal in-game activity and the posting or promotion of pirated software or other copyright infringement.

Don’t post any content that advocates or makes light of sexual abuse, sexual assault, any other illegal sexual acts, illegal drugs, violence, self harm and suicide.

To:
Illegal content - Players should not post content that includes information of how to use or acquire illegal substances (in-game and real-world).

Don’t post any content that advocates or makes light of sexual abuse, sexual assault, any other illegal sexual acts, violence, self harm and suicide.

I would also like to alter the terms around non-constructive posting but we're still thinking of the best way to do this. Before I make the above change official, I'm keen to get your feedback on it. Let me know what you think.
That's more like it. :)

Two more things to ponder:
1. something along the lines of "I think Kevorkian may have been right" might be illegal under those rules. I mean, we definitely want to moderate the hell out of "just kill urself kthx" asshattery, but as written the rule forbids philosophical discussion of whether one can have legitimate authority to end their own life or engage in physical masochism.
2. what sex acts are illegal and/or too graphic for the purposes of this rule? For example, if I really like a set of patch notes and post an animated gif from a certain Lonely Island music video, would that get moderated? And if that's not too graphic, then what is? What is illegal regardless? Etc
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 25, 2015, 11:02:50 PM
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
TheWretch wrote:
I'm not a funny person, I cant just make off jokes off the top of my head :p I can say i've personally posted all kinds of weird, gross or downright wtf stuff before. There's not much GGG don't tolerate if its within reason of the given context.

I posted a Hitler gif the other day and got 24 hour probation for it. It was Hitler looking sad/distressed with the caption 'what has the world come to?'. 100% harmless shit but it got deleted and I got banned. I wouldn't even call it dark humor I guess for real dark humor I'd get a 30 day ban..

That's not dark humor, that's an incredibly charged image that may seem trite and humor-worthy to you personally but still carries a lot of hurt for a lot of people. You knew posting it wasn't really cool. I get what you're saying, it is essentially harmless but just try to see it from the broader perspective. Would you want an image of Hitler on your company's forums? Give n' take man
"
TheWretch wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
TheWretch wrote:

That's not dark humor, that's an incredibly charged image that may seem trite and humor-worthy to you personally but still carries a lot of hurt for a lot of people. You knew posting it wasn't really cool. I get what you're saying, it is essentially harmless but just try to see it from the broader perspective. Would you want an image of Hitler on your company's forums? Give n' take man

If people get offended by the mere image of Hitler then see my signature. Your other point I can follow but then GGG needs to take a completely different approach to all of this. I thought they wanted to make a 'real' forum.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
I agree with your sig but things like Hitler or 9/11 for example would be exceptions to that for me. If you had maybe say a relative that suffered in one of said tragedies and decided to cope with humor, that would be more socially acceptable. To make light of atrocities one has no personal link to in the name of humor is just in poor taste, I think.

We all have our opinions on what's funny but just try to empathize with the people that suffered a bit, its not our place to use these images in general. I get your point and i'm not trying to sound holier than thou about this. I laugh when Hitler's on South Park for example. I dunno I kind of expect that there. Not on a game forum, its not really the place for it?

Laughing about some of this stuff is alright but let's not help normalize it to the point where it becomes crass and the awful history is trivialized.

As for the "real" forums, what do you mean by that?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info