Unpopular opinion: GGG should put their foot down regarding "QoL" and convenience (e.g. loot filter)

Even when i do play with people in SA its typically either people from my friends list or my guild so theres really no loot tension even if we were FFA... When shit drops everyone just makes sure they pickup all we can and then when its all done if there were some Uniques found they go to whoever wants them!
Same with maps if i host and have tons of maps drop ill give some of them out to the others after a few runs since i get them all anyway!

Being polite and fair and not greedy works pretty well if you are playing with the right people!
Most people i play with we all kinda try to help one another out especially if we are running a new build and something drops that will work for it!

And because you help others most times they will return the favor when you need it!

But as i said i play with friends and guild mates so i dont do the public thing pretty much at all except for trading!
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Last edited by Demonoz on May 7, 2015, 4:31:09 PM
if the missing permanent allocation did something right it was forcing player interactions, for the good or the bad :)
i really miss the competition about loot but also see that it eventually prevented many players from playing in public parties because they stood no chance against fast players drop wise.

regarding item filters:
there are alot of players (starters or casual players) who can't be bothered to use scripts at all because they feel uncomfortable trusting other player's scripting abilities and they are too lazy or incapable to do it themselves.

for these type of players it's a lose/lose situation, the introduction of game filters means a huge increase of complexity which maybe is too much for them to cope with.

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
a (probably unpopular) solution for the item filters giving too much of an advantage to players who use them is to remove their ability to hide items.

there is the ability to increase/decrease the size of item labels of certain item types which should be enough to reduce the worst of screen clutter.

if it's not enough the implementation of the rule for every monster to not drop more than 20 items max should work as well.

removing the ability of filter scripts to hide items is also removing the possibility of scripts to horribly fail at showing certain items which may be noticed too late and result in deepest dissapointments.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on May 7, 2015, 5:08:50 PM
"
Pathological wrote:
"
rrtson wrote:
"
NeroNoah wrote:
Using the slippery slope fallacy is not going to give you many supporters.

One example I forgot to mention was the loot allocation, which demonstrably highlights my concern. In Open Beta, there was short allocation, then now we have permanent allocation. Caving into demands for convenience is in fact a very slippery slope. It's not a fallacy at all.

Yes.. a singular instance of a two step of OPTIONS is clearly a slippery slope.

"Caving" to what their users WANT is a good thing, especially if it fits within the game. There is nothing wrong with anything that you have mentioned.

PoE players regularly demonstrate that they don't know what makes a good hack n Slash. If GGG would cave in to what their users want the game would be an even easier WoW and the people who demanded the changes would stop playing.

"
Ventor wrote:
GGG has lost their resolve with the community with this decision. They'll regret this decision down the line.

This, thank you.
Last edited by Destructor666 on May 7, 2015, 5:43:42 PM
"
In the real early days the game was pure FFA and nothing was allocated whatsoever – Just like in Daiblo2. What did you do then? Do you realize the whole concept here was that you were EXPECTED to be competing with your fellow party members for loot? (ask the devs, they all played diablo2 and they were all ninja looters)

This did many things – it created a harsh environment where players needed to work together but at the same time either fight for loot, or make some friends and share loot. If someone was not contributing to the group and just started following behind he or she would not get any loot, and rightly so, they should not if they were not helping fight.

With ‘loot tension’, the player needs to pay close attention to what monsters drop while they are in the middle of fighting. Sometimes you had to change your positioning and put yourself in danger in order to make sure you got your fair share of loot – it added stress, it challenged your attention span, and it was much more exciting. But yes, it was also unfair. – but only if the player joined public games, you still had the option of soloing or just playing with friends and joining public games after you were more skilled.

Some people got really good at looting quickly, and others formed groups and pooled items, and some just played solo to avoid either situation. Some of us, REALLY enjoyed all three of those environments. There was at least some variety in how you approached the game. Now ‘how you play’ is about the same no matter if you’re with friends, strangers or solo with PA looting being the only option used.

Some of my very best PoE experiences where when I was in full group and everyone was competing for loot at the start – but after a while, after saving each others hides several times, without saying a word, people started sharing and leaving good items that dident fall for them. I’m talking about good unique, alchs and exalted orbs just sitting there after the timer expired while everyone waited for the owner to get it without contest. Nobody will ever see this happen anymore – someone checked a box for PA loot, so nobody has the ability to show you they are a nice person or a respectable player, we assume everyone is greedy so we have to prevent them from stealing. This amounts to a loss of player freedom, and every time that happens the game loses something.

I find your comments to the OP insulting and utterly ignorant.

Absolutely this ^

"Loot tension" was the term that I couldn't quit put my finger on. Loot filters (and to a greater extent, Perm Alloc) has all but destroyed any semblance of loot tension in PoE. Many here forget that GGG created PoE because they liked D2 so much. One of the defining aspects of partying in D2 was fighting over the delicious loot. Some may find that playstyle distateful, but for others like myself, loot tension was as much a part of the game as killing monsters were.
✮ in-game @FTMFW
✮ twitch.tv/RRTSON
✮ [Shop] http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/909223
✮ [Build of the Week] http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1034503
Last edited by rrtson on May 7, 2015, 6:27:23 PM
"
Even some of the harshest critics of FFA/SA looting stated publicly that they never wanted to ‘ruin’ the strong FFA scene that PoE had, they just wanted a place to play casually some of the time.

Well, apart from playing with friends i fear this will never truly come back. The first people who crossed over from D3 to PoE were hardcore players and APRG enthusiasts, nowadays casuals are the overwhelming majority and i fear GGG won't have the time to work on something that might satisfy a few dozen people overall. Actually you're the first person i've seen in a very long time who shed a tear over FFA vs. PA, most people either are very happy with PA, don't care one way or the other or just play FFA with their friends and don't give a bloody damn about what everyone else is doing.

Personally, i always despised that greedy loot ninja behaviour back in the D2LoD days, and quite frankly speaking it's beyond how someone can enjoy that. But then again there are many things in this world i don't find fun and someone else is crazy about, so yeah, whatever suits you. Wouldn't play PoE without PA, though, i'm just too old for that kinda crap.
"
rrtson wrote:
"Loot tension" was the term that I couldn't quit put my finger on. Loot filters (and to a greater extent, Perm Alloc) has all but destroyed any semblance of loot tension in PoE. Many here forget that GGG created PoE because they liked D2 so much. One of the defining aspects of partying in D2 was fighting over the delicious loot. Some may find that playstyle distateful, but for others like myself, loot tension was as much a part of the game as killing monsters were.
Item filters increase loot tension though, how can you say that they destroyed it? If you were not playing on permanent allocation (which I generally dont if I have the choice) then a lot of the time people will see the items they want more clearly, and therefore there could be more competition for those items.
"
Dude, even Diablo 2 got a bunch of patches, and those were all great.

"
Shagsbeard wrote:
The people playing with the Loot filter are in for a big surprise... all those colors and borders and sounds aren't going to make the game better. Their brain already has developed it's own filter and when you change all those colors you're going to piss it off.

It's kind of like the QWERTY keyboard. It was originally designed to slow down typists. But people adapted to it and changing it would only piss them off. People have tried. Here... try this more "logical" keyboard. No! Fuck you! Give me my QWERTY back! Same thing is going to happen with the filters.

Do you have beta access? I adjusted to the loot filter right away, and it works waaay better than my brain was working before the filter existed.

This times 1000. Now that I'm going back to 1.3 for the 1 month league, it's the biggest difference I notice. It's so much nicer doing endgame maps without your entire screen filing up with garbage loot.
I'll put this as plainly as I can, so there are no misunderstandings.

Fuck loot tension.

Signed- long time D2 player
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
"
rrtson wrote:
Yes, I am in fact saying that. It's called reflexes. In nearly every other action game in existence, being the first to spot (and click) means you win over your opponent. In Counterstrike, the first to click and score a headshot wins the face-off. In PoE, if you spot a recipe-item on the ground first, then you get to pick it up.

The counterstrike equivalent of taking loot from someone you're grouping with is turning around and shooting your own team. Just sayin...!

;)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info