Unpopular opinion: GGG should put their foot down regarding "QoL" and convenience (e.g. loot filter)

"
morbo wrote:
"
there is a fine line between a QoL change and simply making things easier

Every QoL is making things easier. The real question is if the game difficulty derives or should derive from those (easier) things.

* Is not seeing mobs & your char under a pile of loot tags part of game difficulty? Is that good game design?
* Is having a crappy minimap part of game difficulty?
* Is not being able to toggle graphical options that slow down FPS, part of game difficulty? Should it be?

etc...

In CB you had to manually move every item to vendor window. I guess the game is super easy now, that you can ctrl-click... People confusing polished gameplay with game difficulty. -_-

This is pretty much what i thought about after reading the OP.

maybe GGG should make the gameplay difficult by allowing you to only play at certain graphical settings or removing waypoints from the game because it is becoming too easy to actually play the game? which mainly isn't about looking at loot tags on the ground.
People in PoE is so freaking weird...

Yea screw U GGG making my game look clean and only show up items that I want them to show up WTF? and wtf you are going to fix desync? LoL no desync easy mode should we just go play D3 instead?

Thanks for nothing GGG...
The real hardcore PoE players and the elites sit in town and zoning in and out of their hideouts trading items. Noobs that don't know how to play PoE correctly, kill monsters for items. It's pure fact, it will never change.

Welcome to PoE.
Last edited by Pewzor on May 7, 2015, 7:09:53 AM

Damn, I really should've completed the OP in its entirety before posting. Now, 13 pages later, there seems to be some misunderstanding. I've added the following as an addendum to the OP:

-----------

I should clarify that I'm not trying to lump all QoL features together. There are a ton of things GGG has added post-launch that definitely make the game more enjoyable to play. A recent QoL feature I liked is the stash search function, and another one I'm looking forward to is the "/dnd" command for chat. Make no mistake, there can be sensible QoL features and I support those.

The only purpose of this post is to remind GGG that all QoL are not created equal. Some are more "dangerous" than others and GGG should be mindful of how much (or little) each feature can affect gameplay. For me, the loot filter is toeing the line way too closely, as it's basically the final nail in the coffin of destroying "loot tension", of removing the manual skill needed to visually sift through loot, of knowing exactly what bases to pick up that only an experienced player would know.
✮ in-game @FTMFW
✮ twitch.tv/RRTSON
✮ [Shop] http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/909223
✮ [Build of the Week] http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1034503
Last edited by rrtson on May 7, 2015, 5:01:34 PM
Are you really trying to say spotting loot is a "skill"? Stretching like Mr. Fantastic. If you really enjoy staring at a thousand white items cluttering your screen then don't bother with the loot filter. It sounds to me like you're one of those guys who makes public parties and puts short allocation on because you get off on those rare times of stealing someone else's items. Are you even in the beta? My experience is that the loot filter is a huge quality of life addition and having an item drop in large 44 font size bright orange letters is far more satisfying than the current system.

tl;dr Spotting items on the ground isn't a skill, get over yourself son.
"
MalakezDarnos wrote:
tl;dr Spotting items on the ground isn't a skill, get over yourself son.
now you've really stirred up hornet's nest, sir xD
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
Last edited by silumit on May 7, 2015, 8:33:59 AM
I'm not in favor of the loot filter, but as long as I have the option to use it or not use it, I'm fine with whatever they want to do. Loot clutter can be a problem in larger parties; my witch has been known to complain about "too...much...clutter..." when she should be running for her very life..errr...I mean, wreaking elemental havoc in a focused and destructive manner.

GGG has been known to say "no" to the community: there's a fairly large percentage of players who want floating combat text damage numbers, but GGG has not even hinted at this to my knowledge. I view it the same way: put it on a toggle, and I'm fine with it. I wasn't a big fan of health bars, but since I use skellies an awful lot, it's helpful to be able to tell Friendly Skellies from Enemy Skellies.

I see your point, but as long as it's an option and not a mandate, I'm fine with it.

"Experience is the best teacher,but there's only one seat in his classroom."
Play with honour and show some class - www.theAmazonBasin.com
Zarabeth - Level 89 Ranger
Wicked Wanda - Level 87 Witch
Xarabeth - Level 79 Scion
Spotting loot on the ground CAN be skill.
Back in the days when there's no prema allocation, a player that spots loot faster and ideally playing melee (closer to drop) and with good amount of run speed can ninja loot very effectively. My buddy who's really good at that got so much MORE drops including a now legacy shav's wrappings that wasn't allocated to him and in a full party it was loot explosion everywhere. It's pure skill to ninja for your personal gain.
The real hardcore PoE players and the elites sit in town and zoning in and out of their hideouts trading items. Noobs that don't know how to play PoE correctly, kill monsters for items. It's pure fact, it will never change.

Welcome to PoE.
You know i was kinda priding myself on being able to see my loot without the filter and such and was thinking it was a waste of time... till last night... when i decided to take an awesome Beyond map ive been holding onto and pop Zana's Beyond on it.... about halfway through that run it hit me like a truck....

I REALLY need to learn how to use that damn loot filter! So i guess thats what ill be doing for the better part of my day today... learning and putting together my personal loot filter! \m/

Its one thing when your just running normal maps and such but once you get into places like Atziri and Double Beyond... thats when the loot filter id say really shines!

I still stand behind i dont trust anyone else! I trust me! Thats why ill make my own LF!
If i screw up on it it my fault no one else to blame! I need to learn how to use it myself anyway!
That and i have not seen one yet i like or close enough to what im looking for for me to alter it a little to my liking!

Plus after watching quite a few other running it it seems like you can pretty much do whatever you want with it and customize it how ever you wish! Which is nice but it also seems a little intimidating from the perspective of making one! I probably just need to understand how it works a little better and its probably no where near as complicated as it looks to make!
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Last edited by Demonoz on May 7, 2015, 8:48:26 AM
"
MalakezDarnos wrote:
Are you really trying to say spotting loot is a "skill"?

Yes, I am in fact saying that. It's called reflexes. In nearly every other action game in existence, being the first to spot (and click) means you win over your opponent. In Counterstrike, the first to click and score a headshot wins the face-off. In PoE, if you spot a recipe-item on the ground first, then you get to pick it up.

There's also a secondary aspect to visually filtering loot, which is understanding exactly what item bases/types are worthwhile to pick up. As you play more hours, you learn that certain bases like Harbingers L76+ are probably worth alching, or white Gavels can be chanced for Mjolner. A new player would simply skip over this supposed "junk". Now, if everyone has these items set on filter, the experienced player now has no knowledge advantage over the newbie.
✮ in-game @FTMFW
✮ twitch.tv/RRTSON
✮ [Shop] http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/909223
✮ [Build of the Week] http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1034503
"
Pewzor wrote:
Spotting loot on the ground CAN be skill.

(Don't be offended, i'm pointing it out for the people who're against loot filters for "skill reasons" once again)

Yes, and playing in a way you desync less is a skill aswell, just as searching through your stash tabs (or sorting it in a way so you can spot the stuff you want quicker in the first place) or clicking very fast so you can quality up items quicker.

The question is wether or not an aquired "skill" is something you want players to have and to train. Cheating without getting caught is a skill aswell.

"
Yes, I am in fact saying that. It's called reflexes. In nearly every other action game in existence, being the first to spot (and click) means you win over your opponent. In Counterstrike, the first to click and score a headshot wins the face-off. In PoE, if you spot a recipe-item on the ground first, then you get to pick it up.

There's also a secondary aspect to visually filtering loot, which is understanding exactly what item bases/types are worthwhile to pick up. As you play more hours, you learn that certain bases like Harbingers L76+ are probably worth alching, or white Gavels can be chanced for Mjolner. A new player would simply skip over this supposed "junk". Now, if everyone has these items set on filter, the experienced player now has no knowledge advantage over the newbie.

Yea, it is a skill, but is it a skill you consider fun or want players to have a in a game? It really seems like your mindset is awfully off.
Last edited by ahcos on May 7, 2015, 8:56:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info