Unpopular opinion: GGG should put their foot down regarding "QoL" and convenience (e.g. loot filter)

OP theres also i huge difference between games today and the games you talk about from the past!
One of those is games back then had an end to them! you played and you tried to finish it to the end!
If you could then the games life was pretty much over and if you couldnt a little more practice and patciance and you would eventually but either way in the end.. the game was finished and there was nothing left to see! so then it was on to the next!

Today games like this as well as many other games dont really have an end! even upon finishing the last enemy you still have more things to do! or you can count on later on the devs adding even more challenging content to the game! but the way games are designed today they are made to keep us playing them for more than a week! They are made and changes added as the game ages to keep us playing the game for years to come! So the changes we see in games today is necessary for the framework that games find themselves in today! Its not so much about compromise as it is keeping a game relevant and as many people playing it everyday as possible! Thats why games today are ever changing compaired to the old school console games where the devs only mission was to get as many people to buy the game as possible and then after everyone has played and beat the game thats about it for its life! other than it making its rounds to the players with less wealth to enjoy once the price of the game went down!

To compaire games back then to games today in that respect just doesnt make sense since we are talking about 2 totally different objectives when people are developing games back then and today!
Not to mention the gaming market as well as the people who play them are a completely different thing than they were before! Now you quite a bit more people playing games then they used to back then so you have alot more different types of people you have to keep in mind when createing a game for your target audience! in fact i would go as far as to say now you wouldn't even create a game for just a target audience but rather a game ANYONE can enjoy! Atleast if you want it to be successful anyway!

Thats why today we find developers connecting with their audiance more than ever so they can get an idea of which direction to take the game next to keep it relevant because today a good game isnt based so much on how many copies sold the first day as it how many people continue to play it a year after its release! And we havent even touched the part of just how different the games market is in regards to how games get sold or distributed and the business models of games today!
Like POE for prime example.. its release day it already had people playing it and it was never even sold by the copy instead this games revenue is based on how we contribute to the game as we play it!
So ofcourse GGG has to connect with it players to get an idea of what they want to some extent so they keep their players happy and willing to continue to contribute to the game! And in the end the way games business models are today also keeps revenue coming in for a long time to come rather than just one big chunk at release and then a couple other chunks from the price drops and sales specials!
So the business models of games in general has changed so naturally so has the way they get developed to work with those changes!

As for the loot filter while i like this feature and feel like its going to be a big help to screen clutter.. much like our trade system i still dont understand why GGG insists on outside sites and sources to create these things we need in game when GGG sould be implementing changes like this to to actual game itself so we rely less on outside sources and sites to do these things for us!
But at the same time looks like its working for everyone as well as GGG so i guess it all about that if it isnt broke dont fix it kinda thing! But i still think GGG should work on making the loot fiter much more simple to the point we just have a section in the options menu to setup our filters however we like rather than making them completely from scratch! I mean have you looked at some of these loot filters some of the community has made and shared? I mean pages and pages of lines of code for the filter you know took time to do unless ofcourse they used some tool to simplify it but again why would i need to use another outside tool to use a feature in GGG's game? i dont think i should i think GGG should have the tools there for me to do these things but i guess one step at a time is how GGG is approaching these things which is fine i guess they do have alot of content coming to the game!
There is a fine line between Consideration and Hesitation.
The former is Wisdom, the latter is Fear.
Last edited by Demonoz on Jun 2, 2015, 9:20:23 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info