Unpopular opinion: GGG should put their foot down regarding "QoL" and convenience (e.g. loot filter)

Damn guyz. Chill out a bit eh?

Now, for my 2 cents, I'd have to say I've never been a big fan of tutorials in the way they are being introduced in modern games. I liked how it was more subtle in the past. Remember in the old days of Super Mario, where it introduced game elements in a way that you can learn what you are supposed to know?
You start at the left and go right. If you run into enemies, you die. There is a button to jump. You can jump over enemies. Some enemies you can land on and kill. It progressed from there in a thoughtful and subtle way. There is a Youtube video by a guy with the username Egoraptor who compared the modern style of tutorial to how Megaman accomplished the task of teaching players.

These days ( and especially on the PC with keyboards with a boat load of bindings ) it is much more difficult to accomplish this task. I came in with a knowledge of ARPG games, so I had a good idea of how to pick up the initial stuff, and learn the rest as I went. I wonder what it would be like for someone who never grew up with ARPG games?

All of that being said, there is a BIG difference between dumbing down the game, and making it as streamlined and elegant as possible. After all, it isn't a competition to make the interface and the game as obtuse as possible. GGG are trying to make the game as welcoming and non threatening to new players as possible. I know no one is saying the game should be made as complicated and convoluted as possible, but it is something to keep in mind. GGG need to balance those who will say ' yayaya I get it already ' with those who get frustrated and end up being forced to go looking for answers in the forum and the public chat.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
"
vector292 wrote:
This, grepmans post has a [Removed By Support] sound to it.
[Removed By Support]? That would mean I would actually be born in late 90s and have no idea of earlier games or systems. I guess the good thing about that would be I wouldn't remember Windows ME.

But bonestly it wouldn't be a good trade-off. I wouldn't know what a cd player or Walkman are *shudders* I would keep my entire music collection in palm of my hand and wouldn't know what it's like to have your favorite album be all scratched out or your tape chewn.and I'd have add skipping through millions songs on my phone or Spotify. Nah that ain't for me.
i... honestly dont understand op. atleast not entirely.

whats the point of this post? to say that lootfilter make the game too easy? wat?

quality of life =/= difficulty they have nothing to do with each other.

"
For me, the loot filter is toeing the line way too closely, as it's basically the final nail in the coffin of destroying "loot tension", of removing the manual skill needed to visually sift through loot, of knowing exactly what bases to pick up that only an experienced player would know.

"only an experienced player whould know" i especially like that part.
do you really feel so entiteld to say that you are a better player because you know what items to pick up? just google it and you know it after watching 1 youtube video. its literally the same as downloading someone elses lootfilter.

additionally: someone who isnt googling "path exile what items to pick up" is probably not going to use someone elses lootfilter either.

having a million itemdrops per second and slowing down the pace of the game for no reason atall.
there are hundrets over hundrets of threads on the Diablo 3 forum about changes that shouldve been made to the trashloot piles in vanilla and ultimately they were made because looking for loot removes action oriented gameplay in exchange for a puzzle game. the only point in the game where you should take your time and get things done slowly is when you're working on your charakter in town/hideout w/e.

Spoiler
In particular, I feel the recent loot filter is a scary step in the "more convenience is better!" mentality.

i think you should play some Bejeweled while mapping to get that puzzlegame feeling back.
"
grepman wrote:
please don't tell me what to say. I'm just as entitled to my opinion as you are.

Im a believer in FUBU in pc games. Not the clothing line but the acronym. For us by us. I'm a programmer myself. And today's games are mostly for console audience and trying to encompass as wide range of shit as possible. Poe isn't casual really, yet they still trying to cater to casuals more by making bunch of pop-up helpers and what not in the city, I saw that.

Ive played hundreds of games in the 90s, many of them pirated due to circumstances , where I'd have no manual no tutorial and no Internet. and sometimes I'd have to write my own assembler hook to even run the game on my systems. And it was fucking awesome. Nowadays any information is one second away with Google and ppl are still complaining.

Games were the best for me when they didn't explain shit. I'm not the person who likes customer support bullshit, I'm the person who likes content first and doesn't give a shit about support. You give me a product and ill find out how it works one way or the other.
Note that I don't impose my opinion on you. Note that I don't tell you 'fuck you' if you don't agree with my opinion. My opinion is probably not that common. What I take an issue is you generalizing from particulars and telling me 'fuck you'.

Ye, ye, i get it. "Muh freedom", right? No matter how silly the subject...

See, i don't really care one way or the other, all i wanted to do is to point you towards the fact that your superhardcore assembler-creating-before-playing style isn't really fit for a game that caters towards more than just ~5 pale nerds in their respective cave. Don't get me wrong, i'm one of those pale nerds myself, so i couldn't mean that as an insult even if i wanted to.

Now, i could go on about how important it is to get more players interested in real quality games blablabla. You don't care, so whatever. I just think it's pretty sad that you don't want to share one of the greatest games of all times with as many people as possible, even if that means making it a little bit more accessible or, god forbid, maybe even a little bit easier, at least for the first 70 levels.
"
ahcos wrote:
"
grepman wrote:
please don't tell me what to say. I'm just as entitled to my opinion as you are.

Im a believer in FUBU in pc games. Not the clothing line but the acronym. For us by us. I'm a programmer myself. And today's games are mostly for console audience and trying to encompass as wide range of shit as possible. Poe isn't casual really, yet they still trying to cater to casuals more by making bunch of pop-up helpers and what not in the city, I saw that.

Ive played hundreds of games in the 90s, many of them pirated due to circumstances , where I'd have no manual no tutorial and no Internet. and sometimes I'd have to write my own assembler hook to even run the game on my systems. And it was fucking awesome. Nowadays any information is one second away with Google and ppl are still complaining.

Games were the best for me when they didn't explain shit. I'm not the person who likes customer support bullshit, I'm the person who likes content first and doesn't give a shit about support. You give me a product and ill find out how it works one way or the other.
Note that I don't impose my opinion on you. Note that I don't tell you 'fuck you' if you don't agree with my opinion. My opinion is probably not that common. What I take an issue is you generalizing from particulars and telling me 'fuck you'.

Ye, ye, i get it. "Muh freedom", right? No matter how silly the subject...

the subject isnt silly, and this has nothing to do with freedom, and all about simple respect for others opinions when having a discussion.

you effectively told anyone who thinks the 90s games were good and todays games are streamlined smooth personality-less, dull, but polished smooth as a babys cheek piles of shit, 'fuck you'.

now in real life if someone tells me 'fuck you', I have fists and other things to settle this, but I have to go with words on the internet. I can distinguish a 'troll' fuck you from a genuine one too.

"
all i wanted to do is to point you towards the fact that your superhardcore assembler-creating-before-playing style isn't really fit for a game that caters towards more than just ~5 pale nerds in their respective cave.

first of all, there is no 'fact' - its something you make up based on your opinion. second of all, I am not a pale nerd. if you are, thats great, can you speak for yourself only ? why are you keeping on generalizing shit ?

"
I just think it's pretty sad that you don't want to share one of the greatest games of all times with as many people as possible, even if that means making it a little bit more accessible or, god forbid, maybe even a little bit easier, at least for the first 70 levels.

any time a game/movie/book/tv series/whatever the fuck you want is widening its customer base, it becomes more dumbed down to become more accessible. there are VERY few exceptions to this general rule. to dumb down to double dollars (and thus, customer base) is to compromise integrity of the game for accessibility. its the worst thing you can do. I dont play multiplayer in games, so I dont see any reason to do it from the non-monetary side of things, sorry. I fully understand why companies do it though- the least common denominator rule, so I dont blame customers- I blame consumers who want shit handed to them on silver platter and with minimum time spent.

and no, I dont want to share a game with more people who consider it too hard and will cause the company to make the game easier, fuck no.

if people want to play this game, they gotta get to the games level, not the other way around. if its too complicated or confusing for you, dont play the game. its as easy as that. if james joyce or herman melville writing is too complex, its best to stick to harry potter, not to rewrite a 'for dummies' translation of moby dick or ulysses. I dont want a 'for dummies' version of poe or duke nukem 3d. or baldurs gate.
Last edited by grepman on May 9, 2015, 8:58:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4yIxUOWrtw

if doom was done today

no, please, never share our 90s games with the new audience. they will not get it and we (fans) will not get it
Last edited by grepman on May 9, 2015, 9:15:13 PM
Being condescending to people that are only familiar to handholding won't help anyone.

Also, I hate to divide between new and old. It doesn't work that way. As a retrogamer (because I was really too young for those games in their time), it just sounds silly. Some people like games that require to put some kind of thought and others like to play one shot, tutorial in your face games, and that's it.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
"
grepman wrote:
xyz

You read what you want to read. You're talking about discussion, there is none with you. You're not even trying, instead you're halluzinating about some stuff i didn't say and make up your "discussion" around that. That's all i need to know.
"
grepman wrote:
"
mazul wrote:

You then with a smile politely tell the guy "thank you but that's not necessary" instead of feeling offended. You should perhaps visit Encyclopedia Dramatica's "Offended" page to discover whether or not you are truly offended.
here you go again telling me what to do and how to react, lol

No I would not politely say no thank you. I would probably sock that dude in the face or at the very least tell him to teach his kids that instead and tell him to fuck off.

So please, again, don't tell me what to do so I don't have to tell you where to go.

I put forward my opinion regarding what to do in such situations and why people who think they are offended should visit Encyclopedia Dramatica's "offended" page.

I find your reasons for being offended to be ridiculous and therefore funny ^^.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
Take it to PMs, guys.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info