Unpopular opinion: GGG should put their foot down regarding "QoL" and convenience (e.g. loot filter)

"
darkjoy wrote:
Players who share the same mindset as the OP are a dying breed. The gamers of today grew up on World of Warcraft, it's a different ball game now.

This is bullshit and won't become more true even if you repeat it a thousand times. There are plenty of gamers nowadays that enjoy a hardcore experience and "reward for hard work" etc, hence the success of (for example) Dota2 or Dark Souls. In gamers terms i'm an old fart, and disliked many of the "convenience" changes that got introduced when Dota transitioned to Dota2, and you know what? I was dead wrong. Sometimes i'm playing Dota2 with people half my age, and they're not a single bit less "hardcore" than i was back in the days with Dota when i started 9 years ago.

Not the gamers have changed. The games have. And that's a good thing. You know what i had to do back then to get a half-way good public game in Dota running?

1. start autohotkey, for Wc3 had messy hotkeys. Ye, you could be HARDCORE and not use it.
2. start garena
3. start a script so i could spam myself into a garena high level room
4. find a game to play in and start Warcraft3 once i found one
5. hope that with all the things that might go wrong (players lagging, players disconnecting without the ability to reconnect, players that somehow got into the game and are playing it the first time although this shouldn't be possible) i still have a nice game
6. deal with all the limitations and bullshit that was needed because Wc3 was inconvenient a lot of times

And how is it a bad thing i don't have to do all that anymore but rather start Dota2 and press "Find Match"? Does it make Wc3 Dota more hardcore that you had to know a thousand things about it's engine and it's limitations in order to ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME?

I started playing games in the very late 80s as a very small kid, and even as a teenager in the late 90s i'd have given the world for some of the things people nowadays disregard as "casual" or "making the game too easy", like tutorials, comprehensive behaviour, self-explainatory mechanics, convenience, being easy to set up, ease to find a game or players to play with - i could go on forever ...

And now people like you come and say true hardcore players are a dying breed because younger players don't have to deal with all the bullshit that was forced upon me, wether i like it or not? F*** you, Sir, f*** you dearly, and f*** all people who do believe that nonsense. There is no joy in being forced into dealing with unenjoyable bullshit. There are plenty of games who're being enjoyed by tens of thousands of gamers that resemble this "hardcore" feeling we had in the early gaming days without all the bullshit that came along with it.
I feel the exact same way as ahcos.
"
This is bullshit and won't become more true even if you repeat it a thousand times. There are plenty of gamers nowadays that enjoy a hardcore experience and "reward for hard work" etc, hence the success of (for example) Dota2 or Dark Souls. In gamers terms i'm an old fart, and disliked many of the "convenience" changes that got introduced when Dota transitioned to Dota2, and you know what? I was dead wrong. Sometimes i'm playing Dota2 with people half my age, and they're not a single bit less "hardcore" than i was back in the days with Dota when i started 9 years ago.

Not the gamers have changed. The games have. And that's a good thing. You know what i had to do back then to get a half-way good public game in Dota running?

1. start autohotkey, for Wc3 had messy hotkeys. Ye, you could be HARDCORE and not use it.
2. start garena
5. hope that with all the things that might go wrong (players lagging, players disconnecting without the ability to reconnect, players that somehow got into the game and are playing it the first time although this shouldn't be possible) i still have a nice game
6. deal with all the limitations and bullshit that was needed because Wc3 was inconvenient a lot of times

And how is it a bad thing i don't have to do all that anymore but rather start Dota2 and press "Find Match"? Does it make Wc3 Dota more hardcore that you had to know a thousand things about it's engine and it's limitations in order to ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME?

I started playing games in the very late 80s as a very small kid, and even as a teenager in the late 90s i'd have given the world for some of the things people nowadays disregard as "casual" or "making the game too easy", like tutorials, comprehensive behaviour, self-explainatory mechanics, convenience, being easy to set up, ease to find a game or players to play with - i could go on forever ...

And now people like you come and say true hardcore players are a dying breed because younger players don't have to deal with all the bullshit that was forced upon me, wether i like it or not? F*** you, Sir, f*** you dearly, and f*** all people who do believe that nonsense. There is no joy in being forced into dealing with unenjoyable bullshit. There are plenty of games who're being enjoyed by tens of thousands of gamers that resemble this "hardcore" feeling we had in the early gaming days without all the bullshit that came along with it.

I agree with ahcos. IMHO, playing games that don't provide many convenience features doesn't make you a hardcore player. And I see this kind of thought everywhere : I play much harder games than you do, wow, I'm such a hardcore player.
"
ahcos wrote:

After all, what is a soldier who can't reload a musket?

Bra-fucking-vo, sir.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
Last edited by Antnee on May 8, 2015, 6:53:21 AM
 It's amazing how many people are equating hardcore and hard to play. A hard to play game (whether the controls are bad or the game has flaws such as desync) just makes for major frustration trying to play it, no matter how appealing it is to you. It could be very easy in terms of difficulty factor (such as setting D3 to easy) yet be hard to play because your input (keyboard/mouse) is not being processed properly (game bugs maybe?) or in the case of PoE our view of Wraeclast in real time second to second is very frequently different from what the server game simulation thinks. That means that we respond to what we see but the server takes our input and applies is to a completely different set of conditions with undesirable results.

A classic sync problem for me is Leapslamming in mobs when I can be going in one direction, then see that I need to switch directions, I move my mouse so it's on the other side of my exile, press the leapslam key to move there, and watch my exile keep leapslamming right into more danger instead of away from it. Also I can be in a location devoid of any creatures, leapslam across a chasm, then move normally for a second or two, only to be rubberbanded back where I started before I leapslammed. That happened to me in a Masters daily mission map last night 3 times in a row. And everyone knows how Kole (or any map that uses that boss variant) will appear to teleport randomly because he (it?) moves faster than the server can handle so our client view is often out of sync with where the server calculates him to be. Also why I had to give up on a build that I got up over 80% increased speed because the PoE client was always out of sync with the server simulation position tracking. None of these play frustrations have anything to do with how hard the monsters hit, how much life they have, how they move, etc. and thus desync is just a client/server communication problem, not an increase in hardcore play difficulty.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Wow I didn't know I see the day people are telling me filtering our junk from the floor is a "skill" and everyone ninja rushing loot faster is a real "skill" core to the gameplay experience.

This is equal to justifying playing around desync as a skill mechanic, it warps the meaning of what a "skill" is and tries to justify something that shouldn't matter to core gameplay to begin with,
Last edited by RagnarokChu on May 8, 2015, 1:37:15 PM
"
rrtson wrote:
Too much convenience, turns a game into a borefest. Developers should draw a line in the sand, and take a stand against player demands of making the game more convenient.

My god, I can't believe how much at the extreme opposite end of the spectrum you are with me

I didn't read all your OP but from what I gather, I just think the 100% opposite

there's nothing to discuss really, it's purely a question of opinion, to each his own
"
I0wa wrote:
Thats what made diablo 2 the holy grail that is it. It was the creators vision. You ether played and lived dealt with it. Or couldnt grasp the beauty of it

I think the GGG devs do grasp what it was, but I don't think it guides their design philosophy anymore. I still support them for what the game still is - but I just wish they would make a place to preserve some of that original design, there is no reason they cant accommodate everyone - they do have the ability to add more leagues.

I, for one, welcome the loot filter with open arms.

There are things to be elitist about. This isn't one, for me.
"
ahcos wrote:

Not the gamers have changed. The games have. And that's a good thing.

its your opinion that its a good thing. I disagree with it. being user-friendly and accessible even a caveman can do it, isnt necessarily 'good'.

"

You know what i had to do back then to get a half-way good public game in Dota running?

2. start garena

that sounds pretty straightforward actually. what was the hard part ?

"

I played a ton of PC games in the 90s and I hope to god those 90s games dont get 'remade' with dumb tutorials, 'self-explainatory mechanics' that would be dumbed down the bigger the game. and I certainly hope there would be no fucking 'convenience'

"

besides the infantile insult, tell me why I cant have the 'bullshit' forced upon me if I want to ? why am I FORCED to do tutorial levels that are intended for seemingly special ed kids ? why am I FORCED to deal with pop up 'tips' and 'hints' that insult my fucking intelligence ?

just like you consider bullshit forced on you then, I consider this generation of games, with some exceptions (mostly indie/ks games are exceptions), bunch of bullshit FORCED upon me. I don't WANT duke nukem 3d telling me to 'stay in the zone of combat'. I DONT WANT baldurs gate to tell me explicitly I cannot wander off far into wilderness because I might die there.

I dont want constant resurrects and regenerating health/resources because designers are too lazy to do good level design that medkits require.

I guess my demands are a little bit higher than a plug and play. if you want a plug and play one button experience, theres consoles. and I hope steam moves to consoles too. running games on scummvm emulators >>>>> infants buying 90s remake games on steam with one click and complain games are too smart for them

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info