Unpopular opinion: GGG should put their foot down regarding "QoL" and convenience (e.g. loot filter)

Are you guys trying to justify stealing?
"
Metronomy wrote:
"
rrtson wrote:
"Loot tension" was the term that I couldn't quit put my finger on. Loot filters (and to a greater extent, Perm Alloc) has all but destroyed any semblance of loot tension in PoE. Many here forget that GGG created PoE because they liked D2 so much. One of the defining aspects of partying in D2 was fighting over the delicious loot. Some may find that playstyle distateful, but for others like myself, loot tension was as much a part of the game as killing monsters were.
Item filters increase loot tension though, how can you say that they destroyed it? If you were not playing on permanent allocation (which I generally dont if I have the choice) then a lot of the time people will see the items they want more clearly, and therefore there could be more competition for those items.

A good point here, if you people really only want more competition for loot then loot filters should be something to be happy about.
"
rrtson wrote:
"Loot tension" was the term that I couldn't quit put my finger on. Loot filters (and to a greater extent, Perm Alloc) has all but destroyed any semblance of loot tension in PoE. Many here forget that GGG created PoE because they liked D2 so much. One of the defining aspects of partying in D2 was fighting over the delicious loot. Some may find that playstyle distateful, but for others like myself, loot tension was as much a part of the game as killing monsters were.

I'd say D2 (at least for me, and probably for the developers) had an amusing aspect of fighting over loot with friends playing the game over a local area network where everyone had pretty much exactly the same latency and the guy stealing the loot was probably sitting 10 feet away. Again, from my perspective - it worked partly because you knew you could always beat your friend up if he stole something good, and partly because you were friends in the first place.

Clearly it didn't work as well from players' perspective when many of those factors were not present, hence why people started crowing for PA and refusing to party at all.
Thats what made diablo 2 the holy grail that is it. It was the creators vision. You ether played and lived dealt with it. Or couldnt grasp the beauty of it
Meta = cattle

-ty men
The OP is absolutely right. The sad thing is that it falls on deaf ears.

Players who share the same mindset as the OP are a dying breed. The gamers of today grew up on World of Warcraft, it's a different ball game now.
I definitely agree with the premise of the OP (compromising game by listening too much to majority of playerbase), but I dont see loot filters being a big offender here. imo they're pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things.

for example, things that made the game move in the direction of aoe uber alles mentality, as well as inflated dps, faster pacing, and content difficulty nerfs (ie invasion bosses nerfs) influenced the game much, much more than filters will ever influence it. if you play the game enough, you already have good, trained eyes for most usable drops, white bases, 5/6links, chromes, etc
"
grepman wrote:
I definitely agree with the premise of the OP (compromising game by listening too much to majority of playerbase), but I dont see loot filters being a big offender here. imo they're pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things.

for example, things that made the game move in the direction of aoe uber alles mentality, as well as inflated dps, faster pacing, and content difficulty nerfs (ie invasion bosses nerfs) influenced the game much, much more than filters will ever influence it. if you play the game enough, you already have good, trained eyes for most usable drops, white bases, 5/6links, chromes, etc

I think that Charan influenced a change in the other direction for aoe uber alles. Inflated DPS was something accidental in my opinion. And Invasion Bosses were somewhat unfair sometimes. About faster pacing, up to some point I can agree.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
"
darkjoy wrote:
something about 'in my day games were harder worked 28 hours a day'

Pish-tosh.

I grew up on Zork, Moria and a range of Commodore 64 games that were often so hard that I barely started them, let alone finished them. Remember Mission Impossible? Too right it was!
Games that you had to cheat at to even actually play the game for more than 2 minutes.

Do I love the forced difficulty and bizarre mechanics that plagued games back then? Heck no. Reality is that gamers who loved that kind of weirdness were a minority group even back in the rose-tinted glasses days; the rest of us just used a LOT more cheat codes to have an enjoyable experience. I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore.
"
Metronomy wrote:
"
rrtson wrote:
Item filters increase loot tension though, how can you say that they destroyed it? If you were not playing on permanent allocation (which I generally dont if I have the choice) then a lot of the time people will see the items they want more clearly, and therefore there could be more competition for those items.
You don't understand: all this whine is just about m4d trash-sorting ski11z becoming obsolete. So people with aforementioned ski11z feel like they are not so kewl as they were before because, as you said, now everybody will have a chance to click that good piece of loot in time.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
Last edited by silumit on May 8, 2015, 12:54:53 AM
"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
grepman wrote:

I think that Charan influenced a change in the other direction for aoe uber alles. Inflated DPS was something accidental in my opinion. And Invasion Bosses were somewhat unfair sometimes. About faster pacing, up to some point I can agree.
perhaps so, I was just voicing an opinion that on the scale of things that I think GGG was kinda peer pressured to do, loot filter is somewhere very far on the bottom

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info