Unpopular opinion: GGG should put their foot down regarding "QoL" and convenience (e.g. loot filter)

I have no idea why people are complaining about shit like loot filters.

Loot filters are pure QoL that change nothing to your own personal gameplay, is optional, and doesn't make the game anymore difficult or "easier."

Choosing what items you see doesn't make the game "easier." Stop equating to "QoL" to "easier." The monsters in the game stay exactly the same, the skill tree and in-depth gameplay is still there.

Many QoL or nearly all of them are like this. I know people dislike change but seriously. It's a video game, people should have options that would make the game more enjoyable without detracting from core video game experience.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on May 7, 2015, 1:46:19 AM
"
ahcos wrote:

First off: i don't think we NEED async trading, game works just fine. BUT you're right, it would be nice, and it wouldn't change much anyway, except you wouldn't have to waste a lot of time dealing with slow people and all that infuriating stuff that comes along with "face to face"-trading.

That's also the reason why GGG is holding back - they'd just lose tens of thousands of players if they'd introduce anything even remotely close to an auction house, although that's the only real improvement to the current trading system - async trading with the help of poe.trade would be exactly that, after all. They want to improve the way people aquire items (divination cards, master crafting) as much as they can before they actually make that big leap into uncertainty with an AH-like trading system, because maybe they can get away with keeping the current system and the illusion of it being nowhere close to the Diablo3-Auctionhouse (which is obviously bullshit because it in fact is pretty much the same with poe.trade, except async trading ...).

Hopefully i'm wrong, though. GGG have surprised me more than once in the past with their design decisions. But this is really a big one, the shitstorm that'd follow anything close to an AH would be hard to swallow, even for GGG who're growingly succesful momentarily.

Unless GGG's stance has changed, asynchronous trading has been a planned feature for a while; they've simply chosen to prioritize other more pressing issues like the addition of deterministic lockstep. GGG draws the line at automating sales; Chris has said before that he doesn't want people to be able to buy stuff without humans approving the trade on both sides. It just doesn't necessarily need to be in realtime or ingame to occur.

Chris has even spoken about the possibility of an indexer-style search ingame, which I personally would rather not have, since I have benefited from the inefficiency created by an unofficial indexer with imperfect community penetration and the profit opportunities it creates. But it would probably make trading quite a bit less awful for a large number of more casual players.

I will add, though - and this hadn't occurred to me before - that loot filters will have a drastic impact on races, since they greatly diminish (if not outright eradicate) the advantage conferred by intimate knowledge of itemization during races. I'm not sure if this is intended, or if GGG plans to address this later. But in endgame maps (especially with groups/MF), the garbage explosion is ridiculous and unnecessary.
Last edited by Karcaroth on May 7, 2015, 2:24:44 AM
GGG has lost their resolve with the community with this decision. They'll regret this decision down the line.
IGN:Vennttorr - Level 100 Witch - 1st Witch to 100.

My mirror service thread: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/811499

My Crit Arc build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1090691 -- Updated
"
Ventor wrote:
GGG has lost their resolve with the community with this decision. They'll regret this decision down the line.

What
as long as GGG realizes that people will always complain and there is nothing they can ever do to appease them and then moves forward accordingly, i'm fine with anything they do.

loot filter is whatever. trained eyes don't miss anything anyway

there is a fine line between a QoL change and simply making things easier

but who cares what i have to say? i don't have $10,000 worth of supporter titles next to my name.
Supporter title means nothing. Your opinion matters as much as those who shelled 50k into the game.
"
there is a fine line between a QoL change and simply making things easier

Every QoL is making things easier. The real question is if the game difficulty derives or should derive from those (easier) things.

* Is not seeing mobs & your char under a pile of loot tags part of game difficulty? Is that good game design?
* Is having a crappy minimap part of game difficulty?
* Is not being able to toggle graphical options that slow down FPS, part of game difficulty? Should it be?

etc...

In CB you had to manually move every item to vendor window. I guess the game is super easy now, that you can ctrl-click... People confusing polished gameplay with game difficulty. -_-
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on May 7, 2015, 5:37:50 AM
"
Ventor wrote:
GGG has lost their resolve with the community with this decision. They'll regret this decision down the line
because?..
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
Karcaroth wrote:
Unless GGG's stance has changed, asynchronous trading has been a planned feature for a while; they've simply chosen to prioritize other more pressing issues like the addition of deterministic lockstep. GGG draws the line at automating sales; Chris has said before that he doesn't want people to be able to buy stuff without humans approving the trade on both sides. It just doesn't necessarily need to be in realtime or ingame to occur.

Chris has even spoken about the possibility of an indexer-style search ingame, which I personally would rather not have, since I have benefited from the inefficiency created by an unofficial indexer with imperfect community penetration and the profit opportunities it creates. But it would probably make trading quite a bit less awful for a large number of more casual players.

Well i hope you're right. My line of thinking was: why would GGG hold back on something that should've top5 priority after the game went out of beta back in 2013? Other features that generally took a long time just need a lot time to develop, like Lockstep, completely new content, graphic optimizations, bugs, balance ... but we do have an async trading feature in the game already: guild stash. That feature also has a limited access feature - officer tabs. Reconfiguring and expanding this feature shouldn't be too challenging for a skilled developer, at least not so challenging that it'd take 1,5 years to roll out (remember, trading revamp was discussed and expected early 2014...).

So they have the skills, the code and the priority, why would they hold back? Because they either don't want the feature at all or don't want the feature at that point. Since then they've vastly improved the way players can generate loot and manipulate or personalize the way the game gives loot to the players - strongboxes, master crafting, ghosts, new recipes. Divination cards will be another piece of the puzzle. GGG showed great effort to make the loot one can aquire on his own as personalized as possible.

So yes, maybe (hopefully!) you're right and async trading will come. But maybe it won't come the way we anticipate it, like limiting the maximum prize one can demand to 1ex or something like that (which i think would be really great). Whatever - all i'm saying is that it's weird GGG is holding back on a feature they could and should have implemented a long time ago. I really don't think it's because it is too hard to implement, as shown before. There has to be more to it.
How about just reducing items drops by 95% - you guys would like that right?
Git R Dun!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info