Unpopular opinion: GGG should put their foot down regarding "QoL" and convenience (e.g. loot filter)

The OP is trying to make a strange case here. He is questioning the wisdom of having a loot filter as being same as lowering the difficulty factor to make PoE easier to play. That is a straw man argument to me. Since GGG has decided that loot quantity is more important than loot quality then it is only logical that we have a way to filter out that which we do not want to see (mostly white and blue trash). For the OP to state that this is somehow connected to the PoE difficulty of play (how hardcore this arpg is) is nonsense. This is 2015 so why should we be restricted to last century programming? (I know PoE is regarded as an old school arpg like D2 but no QoL features, that's crazy talk.) That's just as nonsensical as anyone saying that desync makes PoE more hardcore.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on May 6, 2015, 12:16:53 PM
I think we've taken his general premise and focused too much on the loot filter. The term "QoL" has been abused of late, and I think his post is a reaction to that.

I see nothing wrong with adding a loot filter to the game. It doesn't make the game "easier".

If they were to add auto-pickup to it, it would.

If they were to add "no-pickup on hide" as an option it wouldn't (in my opinion).

That's what it boils down to... opinions.
To paraphrase the OP:

"Kids these days are useless and lazy! Back in my day I had to walk 20 miles uphill in the snow barefoot to get my games, and 20 miles uphill back home. Then I had to shovel coal into the boiler for fours hours to get the generator to burning hot enough to produce enough juice to power the room sized computer I had to play it on. And then when you died it deleted itself and kicked you in the dick! "

I remember very similar days. But I don't let nostalgia convince me they were actually better.
Last edited by C0Y0T3_SLY on May 6, 2015, 1:53:56 PM
lol you guys complaining about gas being 4 dollars a gallon LOL we old school hardcore people used to drive a car that only gets 6 miles to a gallon... and use cell phones that's bigger than a police baton... you guys too weak nowadays.
The real hardcore PoE players and the elites sit in town and zoning in and out of their hideouts trading items. Noobs that don't know how to play PoE correctly, kill monsters for items. It's pure fact, it will never change.

Welcome to PoE.
Being able to see anything is bad? Do tell.

"
rrtson wrote:
The loot filter is disguised as a "quality of life" feature, to supposedly make it more convenient for people while farming. But at a certain point, isn't "convenience" synonymous with ease of content?

TIL gouging my eyes out trying to find desired loot drops in a pile of 100+ items all over the screen of varying colours, label sizes, etc. is equal to difficulty! /fucking sarcasm

Also games in the past didn't have QoL features because they wanted to make things "difficult", they didn't have QoL features because game design was still a new thing and because of technical limitations.
"so you can see who has more PvPenis" - Chris Wilson
"Everyone can at least be exposed to Leo's PvPenis" - Chris Wilson
Last edited by Kenzorz on May 6, 2015, 3:20:27 PM
"
Antnee wrote:
"
Barry wrote:

Whether it's an extension to something already existing in the client doesn't really matter to me. The functionality to lower the texture quality that far doesn't exist in the game client. Just imagine how many QOL mods exist as extensions to options already in game clients.

I'm not modding the game when I type -nopatch -nopreload -gc2 -ns into the shortcut target bar. But I just completely assembled these launch instructions and it's customised to an unprecedent degree.

Bolded the important bits. And, you're really reaching with the second paragraph.

If you're seriously suggesting that forcing the knob up to 11 is in the same catagory with adding a whole new set of knobs, then I just don't know what to tell you. The line is blurry (and trying to so specifically define it, as we are doing, is pedantic), but it's pretty clear that we've jumped far over the line into this is absolutely a mod territory.

Should I still be waiting for a counter argument or are you done?
sry ive seen godly and godlys dont lose hp wich wuold pretty much be a smiter with life tap
IGN: danknugsblazedopeswag
QoL - That is the real issue - this phrase is over used.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
Honestly, the loot filter was a response to the Reddit thread where hundreds of people admitted to cheating. A lot of them said they cheated because of the QoL stuff in the hack.
Dynamic Environment - Day/Night, Rain/Lightning - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/110100

GGG's design philosophy in three words:
Quantity over Quality.
Could just remove the white crap that noone even bothers to vendor... Recipes for whites, remove them aswell... I'm not gonna guy 40 stash tabs to do chaos recipes and white item recipes.. Thx

Or just reduce the drop rate on white items so that we see less crap on the ground :) 4

WTB Ilvl 100 White Dagger for crafting.. :)

Hell even killing Mephisto or baal in d2 was awesome compared to this system, you could actually catch the unique before someone else did. And the screen wasnt flooded with drops!
Last edited by prilletime on May 6, 2015, 9:03:18 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info