Unpopular opinion: GGG should put their foot down regarding "QoL" and convenience (e.g. loot filter)

This whole thing just boils down to "everyone should play the game exactly how I want it to be played!!!".

Waste of time. Interesting conversation from the opposing side though.

<Edited by support>
Last edited by Eben_GGG on May 6, 2015, 8:09:03 AM
"
mazul wrote:
"
Antnee wrote:
It's an officially endorsed way to mod the game. Let's not be pedantic here.

Only if you consider changing resolution of your client or turning off sounds to also be "modding the game".
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
"
Antnee wrote:
"
mazul wrote:
"
Antnee wrote:
It's an officially endorsed way to mod the game. Let's not be pedantic here.

Only if you consider changing resolution of your client or turning off sounds to also be "modding the game".

we were talking to someone who was arguing that item filters are bad because he doesn't like mods. terminology was important given this fact.

also you gave your 2 cents on the matter while simultaneously dismissing any future opinions that differ from yours.

<Edited by support>
sry ive seen godly and godlys dont lose hp wich wuold pretty much be a smiter with life tap
IGN: danknugsblazedopeswag
Last edited by Eben_GGG on May 6, 2015, 8:56:04 AM
Hi all, I've had to edit a few posts in this thread to remove some argumentative comments. Please try to keep the discussion civil, thanks!

Contact us at support@grindinggear.com if you need any help!
"
Barry wrote:

we were talking to someone who was arguing that item filters are bad because he doesn't like mods. terminology was important given this fact.

No, it's not. Bickering about how precisely to phrase a thing is a waste of time, when the end result is the same in each case. Mod: solves a long standing issue. Option: solves a long standing issue. Call it a flubberwunky if you want. Nothing changes, and the argument is still nothing less than pedantic. At best, it's off-topic.

"
Barry wrote:

also you gave your 2 cents on the matter while simultaneously dismissing any future opinions that differ from yours.
Be more specific. I may outright disagree with things said, but I'm dismissive of very little.

I guess I'll clarify why I think it's a mod, and not an option. As Mazul pointed out, you can adjust certain things beyond what the UI in the client allows; texture quality can be dropped as far as you like. This is, however, just an extension of the already existing slider. Essentially, you're just cranking the dial down a couple notches below the manufacturers intent. It does not provide any new functionality which cannot be attained through the client alone.

Loot filters, by comparison, must be completely assembled independently of the client. It's not an extension of what's already there, it's a completely new function that players can customize to an unprecedented degree.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
Last edited by Antnee on May 6, 2015, 9:31:17 AM
"
Antnee wrote:
"
Barry wrote:

No, it's not. Bickering about how precisely to phrase a thing is a waste of time, when the end result is the same in each case. Mod: solves a long standing issue. Option: solves a long standing issue. Call it a flubberwunky if you want. Nothing changes, and the argument is still nothing less than pedantic. At best, it's off-topic.

"
Barry wrote:

Be more specific. I may outright disagree with things said, but I'm dismissive of very little.

I guess I'll clarify why I think it's a mod, and not an option. As Mazul pointed out, you can adjust certain things beyond what the UI in the client allows; texture quality can be dropped as far as you like. This is, however, just an extension of the already existing slider. Essentially, you're just cranking the dial down a couple notches below the manufacturers intent. It does not provide any new functionality which cannot be attained through the client alone.

Loot filters, by comparison, must be completely assembled independently of the client. It's not an extension of what's already there, it's a completely new function that players can customize to an unprecedented degree.

"It's an officially endorsed way to mod the game. Let's not be pedantic here."
Stating your opinion and then dismissing others as being pedantic. You then bolded the pedantic line to dismiss mazul's argument.

Whether it's an extension to something already existing in the client doesn't really matter to me. The functionality to lower the texture quality that far doesn't exist in the game client. Just imagine how many QOL mods exist as extensions to options already in game clients.

I'm not modding the game when I type -nopatch -nopreload -gc2 -ns into the shortcut target bar. But I just completely assembled these launch instructions and it's customised to an unprecedent degree.
sry ive seen godly and godlys dont lose hp wich wuold pretty much be a smiter with life tap
IGN: danknugsblazedopeswag
"
Karcaroth wrote:
People made the same arguments about loot allocation options years ago, and no doubt these same arguments will get trotted out for whatever QOL improvements GGG rolls out in the future. Asynchronous forum trading? APOCALYPSE!

First off: i don't think we NEED async trading, game works just fine. BUT you're right, it would be nice, and it wouldn't change much anyway, except you wouldn't have to waste a lot of time dealing with slow people and all that infuriating stuff that comes along with "face to face"-trading.

The problem isn't the concept of, let's name it: an Auctionhouse itself, but that people have very bad and often wrong associations because of the fiasco that was Diablo3. People tend to forget that what we have already is more or less an Auctionhouse (poe.trade, tradechats, forum) that determines market value etc. and that affects the ecomonmy wether you like it or not. Unfortunately people are people and don't think straight, that's why we have silly stuff like the right to wear a weapon in the USA, no speed limits in Germany or demonize Mariuhana while millions every year die of alcohol abuse.

That's also the reason why GGG is holding back - they'd just lose tens of thousands of players if they'd introduce anything even remotely close to an auction house, although that's the only real improvement to the current trading system - async trading with the help of poe.trade would be exactly that, after all. They want to improve the way people aquire items (divination cards, master crafting) as much as they can before they actually make that big leap into uncertainty with an AH-like trading system, because maybe they can get away with keeping the current system and the illusion of it being nowhere close to the Diablo3-Auctionhouse (which is obviously bullshit because it in fact is pretty much the same with poe.trade, except async trading ...).

The community isn't that divided on the topic of item filters, though. Except for those people who hate anything new just for the sake of it, but i'd be suspicious if there wasn't that obgligatory rant that comes along with every good thing, like free health care or vaccination. So expect quite a few more QoL improvements before we eventually might see async trading.

Hopefully i'm wrong, though. GGG have surprised me more than once in the past with their design decisions. But this is really a big one, the shitstorm that'd follow anything close to an AH would be hard to swallow, even for GGG who're growingly succesful momentarily.
This is funny. I think I remember having that same argument when they went with permanent allocation. It's a strange world when only a year after that I couldn't care less about this.
"
gorillajuice wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
I think they shouldnt even show labels - you should have to mouse over everything that drops one by one to see what it is. Now thats fucking hardcore yo.

...this is how ridiculous your post is.

Be careful, OP will come back in a few weeks suggesting we actually had to pick up the item, drop it into our inventory manually, then use a "look at item" button, just to see what we had, because he finds annoying crap "challenging".

Hhahaaa dont give him anymore ideas. Soon we'll have to walk back to twon to sell because after all teleporting is way way way too easy not to mention unrealistic
Git R Dun!
So now ggg did bad cause they listened u wot m8
yes auction house is next MWHAAHAHHA

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info