Unpopular opinion: GGG should put their foot down regarding "QoL" and convenience (e.g. loot filter)

"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
And they are not official.... they are released by players.
They are officially supported by game client, you [will be removed by support anyway].
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
"
The loot filter scripts are 100% official content, and require no modding of the game, just a little logic, and to check the syntax for it.

Can I set the loot filter in the ingame options ? No. Does it require to create or edit a file in the games directory ? yes. I call it modding. And they are not official.... they are released by players.

Call it whatever you want. Its impossible to make it easy to set up yet as complex as it is from in game. And it is official since all the things needed for it were made by ggg to be used by players. Think of it as a more complex options panel. Just because some people copy other people's options doesnt make it unofficial underground changes.
LLD BOTW spark/arc caster guide http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1133731
"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
"
The loot filter scripts are 100% official content, and require no modding of the game, just a little logic, and to check the syntax for it.

Can I set the loot filter in the ingame options ?
You can, there is an option with the in game UI. They might expand upon the current implementation beyond what is in the beta (Like a tab for viewing the lootfilter in the UI), I doubt you would know if they are going to or not unless you work there.
Pic
Last edited by Metronomy on May 6, 2015, 6:51:30 AM
Pausing to read loot names is not part of the visceral combat important in Path of Exile, nor should it be one of the challenging aspects which defines the game. It's an interruption to gameplay, and detracts from the atmosphere. Wouldn't it be great if we had a better chat box UI? Wouldn't it be wonderful if they made trading easier, without trivializing it? These are design revisions, not redefinitions of the project.
"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
"

Can I set the loot filter in the ingame options ? No. Does it require to create or edit a file in the games directory ? yes. I call it modding. And they are not official.... they are released by players.

"
andkamen wrote:
Dude run a double beyond pack size map or an olmec with MFer. There is so much loot on the ground that you need to destroy the blues to see some of the items because you need to walk to screens away to see them but at that time they disappear or you can no longer click them.

Too bad right ? But the game is designed like that.... give or take.

Hahahaha!

7/10 clever one, made me laugh :D
"
silumit wrote:
"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
They are officially supported by game client, you [will be removed by support anyway].

<Edited by support>
And when something is supported by the game client it doesnt mean that its official. I remember that Baldurs Gate had a mod where you could import NPC's from Icewind Dale which actually sold items you couldnt normally found in BG coz they were from ID. It was a mod by players and supported by the game client, but not offical from Black Isle. I dont liked it. I dont like any modding.

Last edited by Eben_GGG on May 6, 2015, 8:12:32 AM
"
MegaTen_IV wrote:
"
silumit wrote:
"
MegaTen_IV wrote:

See ? This is exactly what I am talking about.... This is not reddit, not your favorite place. You cant call me out, neither downvote.
And when something is supported by the game client it doesnt mean that its official. I remember that Baldurs Gate had a mod where you could import NPC's from Icewind Dale which actually sold items you couldnt normally found in BG coz they were from ID. It was a mod by players and supported by the game client, but not offical from Black Isle. I dont liked it. I dont like any modding.

loot filters aren't modding. path of exile doesn't have mod tools. please stop.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1235695
This is why we are adding a new feature called Item Filter Scripts in the upcoming expansion. Not only do item filter scripts allow you to filter items, but they allow you to customise the display of items as well.

it's a feature that they have developed for players to use. it's official.

it's similar to lowering graphics settings using the text config file. it's just a setting that the game supports, without a user interface.
sry ive seen godly and godlys dont lose hp wich wuold pretty much be a smiter with life tap
IGN: danknugsblazedopeswag
Last edited by Barry on May 6, 2015, 7:27:34 AM
It's an officially endorsed way to mod the game. Let's not be pedantic here.

Yes, a lot of people are going apeshit with the neon colors and borders, completely forgetting that if everything is bright and shiny, then nothing is bright and shiny.

I've personally witnessed the evolution of some of the more popular filters. Once those people get into the game and actually have to play with this stuff, magically the neon starts becoming more tame. It's pretty cool to watch it happen.

I started mine with the mindset that what we have is already great, and relearning an entire system of colors and borders is counterproductive. Just hiding junk makes a huge difference.

I've been asking GGG for this feature for a long, long time. The issue is one of eyesight and ergonomics, really. Staring at this in every high level map is not fun, it's not engrossing, it isn't anything but a ridiculous waste of time. It adds nothing to the game... unless you count frustration.

If you come at me with "Just make less stuff drop!", I'm gonna have to ask you to sit in a corner and think about what you just said. No really, think about it. What repercussions would that have on the game? What about vendor recipes, and crafting, and chancing? What about the economy?

That being said, we do have to be mindful of what this thing can do. I've already spoken out on the beta forums that filtering by quality % should be removed. Just by looking at the nameplate, I can tell if it is quality or not (binary), but can't see just HOW quality it is without mousing over. Some people are advocating for implicit values to be added... A function I completely oppose.

But, this was a problem that needed to be addressed, and this is the best way we can go about it. Despite the potential for abuse.

A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
Last edited by Antnee on May 6, 2015, 7:44:34 AM
"
Antnee wrote:
It's an officially endorsed way to mod the game.

Only if you consider changing resolution of your client or turning off sounds to also be "modding the game".
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
People made the same arguments about loot allocation options years ago, and no doubt these same arguments will get trotted out for whatever QOL improvements GGG rolls out in the future. Asynchronous forum trading? APOCALYPSE!

If you would like your screen covered in items, you are free to not use loot filters. That's the beauty of an option.
Last edited by Karcaroth on May 6, 2015, 7:55:48 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info