Unpopular opinion: GGG should put their foot down regarding "QoL" and convenience (e.g. loot filter)

Well your "reflexes" to pick up loot have not mattered to the majority of the playerbase since the introduction of perm allocation. Everything you're saying just makes you sound like a thug to me. You like to ninja peoples loot and you want to take advantage of newer players by crafting high IL items and selling to them.

You get off on other people's misery and that's why you're against loot filters... x_X

You said it yourself, it is an unpopular opinion and it's also a very selfish view on the matter. This argument is invalid because the loot filter is here to stay and the game will be alot better because of it.

Also, in the early days I played melee and I had an insane amount of opportunities to steal other people's items during party play and I never once did it, do you know why? because benefiting yourself at the expense of others is a very disgusting character trait and it's one you so obviously possess. How about you stop spreading your poisonous opinions on these forums and let GGG make these positives changes to their game in peace.
"
MalakezDarnos wrote:
Well your "reflexes" to pick up loot have not mattered to the majority of the playerbase since the introduction of perm allocation. Everything you're saying just makes you sound like a thug to me. You like to ninja peoples loot and you want to take advantage of newer players by crafting high IL items and selling to them.

You get off on other people's misery and that's why you're against loot filters... x_X

You said it yourself, it is an unpopular opinion and it's also a very selfish view on the matter. This argument is invalid because the loot filter is here to stay and the game will be alot better because of it.

Also, in the early days I played melee and I had an insane amount of opportunities to steal other people's items during party play and I never once did it, do you know why? because benefiting yourself at the expense of others is a very disgusting character trait and it's one you so obviously possess. How about you stop spreading your poisonous opinions on these forums and let GGG make these positives changes to their game in peace.

In the real early days the game was pure FFA and nothing was allocated whatsoever – Just like in Daiblo2. What did you do then? Do you realize the whole concept here was that you were EXPECTED to be competing with your fellow party members for loot? (ask the devs, they all played diablo2 and they were all ninja looters)

This did many things – it created a harsh environment where players needed to work together but at the same time either fight for loot, or make some friends and share loot. If someone was not contributing to the group and just started following behind he or she would not get any loot, and rightly so, they should not if they were not helping fight.

With ‘loot tension’, the player needs to pay close attention to what monsters drop while they are in the middle of fighting. Sometimes you had to change your positioning and put yourself in danger in order to make sure you got your fair share of loot – it added stress, it challenged your attention span, and it was much more exciting. But yes, it was also unfair. – but only if the player joined public games, you still had the option of soloing or just playing with friends and joining public games after you were more skilled.

Some people got really good at looting quickly, and others formed groups and pooled items, and some just played solo to avoid either situation. Some of us, REALLY enjoyed all three of those environments. There was at least some variety in how you approached the game. Now ‘how you play’ is about the same no matter if you’re with friends, strangers or solo with PA looting being the only option used.

Some of my very best PoE experiences where when I was in full group and everyone was competing for loot at the start – but after a while, after saving each others hides several times, without saying a word, people started sharing and leaving good items that dident fall for them. I’m talking about good unique, alchs and exalted orbs just sitting there after the timer expired while everyone waited for the owner to get it without contest. Nobody will ever see this happen anymore – someone checked a box for PA loot, so nobody has the ability to show you they are a nice person or a respectable player, we assume everyone is greedy so we have to prevent them from stealing. This amounts to a loss of player freedom, and every time that happens the game loses something.

I find your comments to the OP insulting and utterly ignorant.
People play the game differently from each other. That's cool.

If you like that "loot tension" feeling, you can get a group of like-minded people, and play the game with your rule set. No filtering, no allocation. Free-for-all.

You could probably get enough interest to even get a guild started based on the idea.
"
"
MalakezDarnos wrote:

In the real early days the game was pure FFA and nothing was allocated whatsoever – Just like in Daiblo2. What did you do then? Do you realize the whole concept here was that you were EXPECTED to be competing with your fellow party members for loot? (ask the devs, they all played diablo2 and they were all ninja looters)

This did many things – it created a harsh environment where players needed to work together but at the same time either fight for loot, or make some friends and share loot. If someone was not contributing to the group and just started following behind he or she would not get any loot, and rightly so, they should not if they were not helping fight.

With ‘loot tension’, the player needs to pay close attention to what monsters drop while they are in the middle of fighting. Sometimes you had to change your positioning and put yourself in danger in order to make sure you got your fair share of loot – it added stress, it challenged your attention span, and it was much more exciting. But yes, it was also unfair. – but only if the player joined public games, you still had the option of soloing or just playing with friends and joining public games after you were more skilled.

Some people got really good at looting quickly, and others formed groups and pooled items, and some just played solo to avoid either situation. Some of us, REALLY enjoyed all three of those environments. There was at least some variety in how you approached the game. Now ‘how you play’ is about the same no matter if you’re with friends, strangers or solo with PA looting being the only option used.

Some of my very best PoE experiences where when I was in full group and everyone was competing for loot at the start – but after a while, after saving each others hides several times, without saying a word, people started sharing and leaving good items that dident fall for them. I’m talking about good unique, alchs and exalted orbs just sitting there after the timer expired while everyone waited for the owner to get it without contest. Nobody will ever see this happen anymore – someone checked a box for PA loot, so nobody has the ability to show you they are a nice person or a respectable player, we assume everyone is greedy so we have to prevent them from stealing. This amounts to a loss of player freedom, and every time that happens the game loses something.

I find your comments to the OP insulting and utterly ignorant.

Didn't read LOL
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
People play the game differently from each other. That's cool.

If you like that "loot tension" feeling, you can get a group of like-minded people, and play the game with your rule set. No filtering, no allocation. Free-for-all.

You could probably get enough interest to even get a guild started based on the idea.

Thanks for the reply, (only slighly off topic,as the loot filter does interact with players who use FFA or SA looting)

I join every SA public game within my level range/quest range I that I see. I have a collection of screeshots I'll post someday if I ever get motivated to block out all the names - basically almost all of them go like this:

>player1: can we change loot to PA?
>gamehost: okay
>player me: hey, I only joined this game because it was SA
>gamehost: lol

a few of these:

>player1: change loot to PA
>gamehost: I set it to SA for a reason, no
>player1: has left
>player2: has left
>player3: has left
>player4: has left
(then they re-invite everyone in the group except the old game host)

I have hosted many FFA and SA games that players actually joined and then demanded I change loot to PA even if I had SA in the game title. FFA games are even harder to get going.

The thing is, is that I DONT like taking other plyers loot either. I like the idea that I had freedom to do so if I wanted, I like to have a need to loot quickly, and I very much like being able to leave items for others to take by just walking away. But what happens is that the few SA or FFA public games that do happen the only people who stay are 100% ninja ‘out to get everything’ looters... and that IS fun sometimes despite being extremely rare, but because its 'opt-in', you just never get SA or FFA public games where anyone cooperates or shares.

The guild I belong too is called "The Red Hand" and we do actively invite people who enjoy SA/FFA loot who play HC challenge leagues - but we all share and technically, there really is no competition going on so it’s a bit self-negating. (Normally people would join a guild to AVOID having to compete for loot all the time)

Lastly, the biggest reason nobody uses FFA or SA in public (among us who like it) is that it’s actually much harder. There are monsters that explode as loot drops now, sometimes the best items drop in the middle of huge brawls and nobody has any idea if an item dropped for them or someone else. overall MUCH less stressful to not have to make quick/split second decisions like “should I take that item?, did it fall for someone else and I just saw it go unfaded or was it for me?, is it too dangerous to go in that doorway full of monsters to get my alch?, etc etc..”

GGG has given us no reason to use FFA or SA other than “it’s more fun” and that reason just does not fly when you are playing high level HC games where it’s MUCH LESS fun if you die. The result is, even long time veteran players who like ‘loot tension’ will turn it off and avoid it.
I respect that you favour loot tension and the challenges that FFA and SA present to you Ten_of_Swords, but the fact that you're having a hard time finding parties using those allocation options only demonstrates how few that actually enjoy the difficulty that FF and SA brings. I for one find it downright annoying to be forced to take loot into consideration while fighting monsters, as I would much rather focus on the actual fighting. Having said that, I understand how FFA and SA merely being options and not enforced really does diminish the experience.

The only possible solution I can think of is GGG fulfilling the age old promise of brining about paid leagues, where you and others who greatly enjoy the old loot schemes could play together. This would also maybe present a solution to those of us who wish for a league with no trading but cooperative play between non-trading players.
Ten_of_Swords:

Don't forget that those beta days when the community was smaller and everyone was super excited and helpful are gone. Nowadays the community is much bigger and a lot more competitive, with the greater part of the community playing challenge leagues (especially the hardcore community).
Besides, when you share everything anyway or wait for people to pick their stuff up, it's pretty much PA aswell.

Now i don't want to tell you to get over it or anything, but what you call "freedom" etc. unfortunately doesn't work as soon as there are enough self entitled, stupid people are involved. You can't change the nature of man. Some rules make life easier and don't just cut your freedom - rest assured, it'd be worse if they weren't there in the first place.
Last edited by ahcos on May 7, 2015, 2:09:24 PM
"
If a Mirror of Kalandra drops, and Player-A notices, while Player-B doesn't, shouldn't Player-A justifiably reap the rewards of being able to visually identify the Mirror of Kalandra?

"
A recent QoL feature I liked is the stash search function

This is a rather puzzling stance as both the loot filter and the search function fill the same purpose.

As for the reasoning in the first part, often in high player parties Player-B might not even be able to see the Mirror of Kalandra drop unless they happen to move in the correct direction while constantly cycling loot on and off to resort it.
"
ahcos wrote:
Ten_of_Swords:

Don't forget that those beta days when the community was smaller and everyone was super excited and helpful are gone. Nowadays the community is much bigger and a lot more competitive, with the greater part of the community playing challenge leagues (especially the hardcore community).
Besides, when you share everything anyway or wait for people to pick their stuff up, it's pretty much PA aswell.

Now i don't want to tell you to get over it or anything, but what you call "freedom" etc. unfortunately doesn't work as soon as there are enough self entitled, stupid people are involved. You can't change the nature of man. Some rules make life easier and don't just cut your freedom - rest assured, it'd be worse if they weren't there in the first place.

I only commented on this topic to illustrate the OP's statement that when some QOL 'conveniences' are added, sometimes major parts of the game are lost unintentionally.

*So, if you got good at scanning your screen and training your eyes looking at piles of loot for good items - guess what? Your time was wasted now, the loot filters are much better.

*If you got really good at making casual friends, organizing groups and sharing loot, or getting really good at fighting and looting at the same time? Guess what, your time was wasted. Everyone uses allocated loot now.

There is no reason that PA loot should be the only loot option used in public games - GGG could do many things to make the riskier/more fun loot modes used at least SOME of the time. I have sent them a few suggestions for ways to do it, and I have read others on these forums that I think would work and I will continue to look for ways to restore some of what was lost back then.

Do you remember back when the allocated loot advocates asked for their own league? The idea was roundly shot down because of the rule that "no league can be easier than its parent league" - yea, that’s the ‘whole game’ now and we have nowhere to play anything but PA. Even some of the harshest critics of FFA/SA looting stated publicly that they never wanted to ‘ruin’ the strong FFA scene that PoE had, they just wanted a place to play casually some of the time.

Anyhow, thanks for the comments, I remember you being involved in some of those long threads over this topic, it’s good to hear your thoughts after so long.
Ten are you still beating that drum?!!! You are tenacious mate ill give you that.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info