SFL league poll

"

you want mirrors and eternals to be removed and spawn rates of good mods to be much higher too, im assuming?

Mirrors and eternals don't affect me. But they affect A LOT of people, so they serve a purpose. "Too"? Spawn rate of good mods (not the best) is the only thing I want to change. Do I want a SFL? Not primarily. Do I want increased drop rates of orbs? No. Uniques? No.

The only thing I want to change drop wise, is for the gap between the perfect item en droppable items to be smaller. Droppable 1 handers are about half as good as 1 handers can be. Half. I feel the balance there is a bit "off".
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Boem wrote:

Clearly you do mind. else your problem would not exist.

As to the question, because the game is designed around this balance and not a self-found perspective.

RNG evens out because of trading, purposefully choosing to fight RNG head on without choosing methods to make it favor your outcome will yield questionable results.

It is that simple.

No, I don't mind - if those who choose to grind for 100 hours instead of trading for 10 minutes gets rewarded somehow. Now, they don't - in comparison.

And farming to 90+, maintaining a map pool of high level maps - alone, to be able to farm high enough content for OK rares to drop, is as much of an achievement as trading in a community crying for fixed B/O and fixed prices. Is making an offer of 5 ex for an item listed at 5 ex an achievement?
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Druga1757 wrote:
to Boem:

If "profitability" were the driving force for what GGG implemented, we wouldn't have pvp.

The problem with the whole trading/win/win situation for players is GGG didn't support that at all. Trade chat and forum posts isn't even a bare bones system. You end up relying on rng to find buyers and sellers. It's only the existence of poe.trade and procurement that makes trading efficient for players.

The existence of poe.trade also means trading is far more efficient than it is natively implemented in PoE. That already alters any balance. We have standard with a very different economy than temp leagues, HC with different economies than SC. Either they are balancing for multiple league types (I highly doubt it), or they aren't. If it's the former then there's already precedence, and a SFL can be balanced accordingly. If it's the latter, then it doesn't matter as different leagues aren't balanced any differently anyway.

The game is balanced around trading, but it could be balanced around self-found as well. Afterall, the game is designed around PvE, yet GGG altered the game mechanics to better suit PvP play.

People value things differently according to the league they participate in. This has nothing to do with overall balance of the system and everything to do with personal observation and assumptions of value.
(that's not entirely correct, but i will stick to that else its a page long post again)

The question about poe.trade and procurement should be "should it be removed" because like you say, it makes trading more efficient as originally intended.

However, if i had to assume i would guess GGG is taking these factors into account if they become prominent and seriously effect balance in a bad way. I assume this happened when XyZ became live and PoE.trade after that. (just to say, i think it naturally evolves as things appear)

And this could be used as an argument that self-found is worse off now because of the introduction of third party soft-ware/tools.
(assuming, my assumption is accurate)

I stick with my original stance on the mater though, SFL is perfectly viable and playable currently and it is mostly the players perception that is off when attempting it.
Either you realize you are gimping yourself and enjoy that fact, or you don't and become miserable in due time or change play-style to ensure your time is better spent.

To take phrazz as an example

He is perfectly aware playing 1000 hours can yield no potential upgrade and a 10 minute trade could, yet still plays SFL.(i assume?)

There is nothing inherently wrong with finding a single upgrade in 2000 hours of play-time, i didn't mind that when i played my SFL characters.

The problem appears when he compares it to the efficiency of trading, which begs the question, why exactly are you comparing this when it holds no relevance to your intent.(playing SFL)

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
Boem wrote:

Clearly you do mind. else your problem would not exist.

As to the question, because the game is designed around this balance and not a self-found perspective.

RNG evens out because of trading, purposefully choosing to fight RNG head on without choosing methods to make it favor your outcome will yield questionable results.

It is that simple.

No, I don't mind - if those who choose to grind for 100 hours instead of trading for 10 minutes gets rewarded somehow. Now, they don't - in comparison.

And farming to 90+, maintaining a map pool of high level maps - alone, to be able to farm high enough content for OK rares to drop, is as much of an achievement as trading in a community crying for fixed B/O and fixed prices. Is making an offer of 5 ex for an item listed at 5 ex an achievement?

I don't fully comprehend the last part of your post, but will try to respond either way.

Farming for 100 hours can yield no results.

Trading for 100 hours can yield no results.

If that makes sense. You can play it smart and try to manipulate that out-come. Everybody can do this though, both in the trading part and in the farming content part.

There is no comparison to be made, you are making it, but it's irrelevant since there are no boundary's to your comparison.

I can simply state

"player 1 finds a kaoms while playing content in 1 minute"
"player 2 sits in trade chat for 2 hours, maintains a shop etc etc and doesn't get a single deal done"

Does this imply we need to buff the efficiency of trading in any way? Of course not, both are examples that happen all the time and can be circumvented or manipulated.

As to your second sentence (the confusing one to me), yes offering 5 exalts for an item with a 5 exalt b/o is an achievement, since you first have to gather those exalts. Assuming you simply play the game those 5 exalts did not materialize out of nowhere and represents actions taken by the player to get the item he desired. When desire ends, fulfillment replaces it. This could be seen as an achievement.
(OMG he vanquished desire!?)

I have no clue what the start of that second paragraph has to do with anything.

Playing SFL to lvl 90+ and maintaining a map pool is not that difficult in my opinion. That's just a personal opinion though, so irrelevant at best since many people would view it differently as i do.

Peace,

-Boem-
"
Phrazz wrote:
"

you want mirrors and eternals to be removed and spawn rates of good mods to be much higher too, im assuming?

Mirrors and eternals don't affect me. But they affect A LOT of people, so they serve a purpose. "Too"? Spawn rate of good mods (not the best) is the only thing I want to change. Do I want a SFL? Not primarily. Do I want increased drop rates of orbs? No. Uniques? No.

The only thing I want to change drop wise, is for the gap between the perfect item en droppable items to be smaller. Droppable 1 handers are about half as good as 1 handers can be. Half. I feel the balance there is a bit "off".

mirrors only affect trading players. so they would basically be useless in a sfl (not like youre gonna get one lol). im only talking about a sfl here.

this game isnt balanced around perfect items, and it will never be. so if you get the rare drop that something actually REALLY good drops, be happy. its like finding a t0 unique
"
so they would basically be useless in a sfl

Yes, and I do not cry out for a self found league.

"
Boem wrote:

I have no clue what the start of that second paragraph has to do with anything.

Playing SFL to lvl 90+ and maintaining a map pool is not that difficult in my opinion. That's just a personal opinion though, so irrelevant at best since many people would view it differently as i do.

Peace,

-Boem-

I just get confused. You do not see farming high end content as an achievement. Fair enough, I might agree. But selling/buying an item for a market set price is? There we disagree.

"
Boem wrote:

He is perfectly aware playing 1000 hours can yield no potential upgrade and a 10 minute trade could, yet still plays SFL.(i assume?)

There is nothing inherently wrong with finding a single upgrade in 2000 hours of play-time, i didn't mind that when i played my SFL characters.

The problem appears when he compares it to the efficiency of trading, which begs the question, why exactly are you comparing this when it holds no relevance to your intent.(playing SFL)

Peace,

-Boem-

I'm not comparing them as equals. I've said many times that I feel trading SHOULD yield an advantage. Of course it should. I'm not comparing SF to trading as much as I'm comparing it to "possible high end gear".

As I said before, I'm not longing for a SFL. I'm not longing for increased drop rates of anything. The only thing I feel is a little off balance, is the tier quality of rare drops. I feel they can bee increased a little bit, to make the progression of SF play a little bit more "friendly".

And my views would be the same, playing SF or not: When droppable weapons only range up to half of whats possible, I feel the need of some tweaking. Why? Subjective view based on games in the same genre. It's just so far from anything.

Is this very important to me? Not very, I'll still play. I'll still enjoy myself. But I will always feel that PoE is missing out on hundreds/thousands of players - and a (more) fantastic gameplay.
I'd love a really-hardcore self found league. You can only enter the league once. 1 week, no trading, no partying, you die = you're done. And I'd like to see it with very difficult mods, something similar to all mods from the Flashback league.
"
Boem wrote:
"
Druga1757 wrote:
to Boem:

If "profitability" were the driving force for what GGG implemented, we wouldn't have pvp.

The problem with the whole trading/win/win situation for players is GGG didn't support that at all. Trade chat and forum posts isn't even a bare bones system. You end up relying on rng to find buyers and sellers. It's only the existence of poe.trade and procurement that makes trading efficient for players.

The existence of poe.trade also means trading is far more efficient than it is natively implemented in PoE. That already alters any balance. We have standard with a very different economy than temp leagues, HC with different economies than SC. Either they are balancing for multiple league types (I highly doubt it), or they aren't. If it's the former then there's already precedence, and a SFL can be balanced accordingly. If it's the latter, then it doesn't matter as different leagues aren't balanced any differently anyway.

The game is balanced around trading, but it could be balanced around self-found as well. Afterall, the game is designed around PvE, yet GGG altered the game mechanics to better suit PvP play.

People value things differently according to the league they participate in. This has nothing to do with overall balance of the system and everything to do with personal observation and assumptions of value.
(that's not entirely correct, but i will stick to that else its a page long post again)

The question about poe.trade and procurement should be "should it be removed" because like you say, it makes trading more efficient as originally intended.

However, if i had to assume i would guess GGG is taking these factors into account if they become prominent and seriously effect balance in a bad way. I assume this happened when XyZ became live and PoE.trade after that. (just to say, i think it naturally evolves as things appear)

And this could be used as an argument that self-found is worse off now because of the introduction of third party soft-ware/tools.
(assuming, my assumption is accurate)

I stick with my original stance on the mater though, SFL is perfectly viable and playable currently and it is mostly the players perception that is off when attempting it.
Either you realize you are gimping yourself and enjoy that fact, or you don't and become miserable in due time or change play-style to ensure your time is better spent.

Peace,

-Boem-

People value things for what it can sell in alternate leagues as well. Buying cheap in HC temp, ripping to Standard to sell. Prices and exchange rates also fluctuate when a temp league is near its end and standard prices start dictating.

Claiming sf is viable in current trade leagues is akin to saying HC is viable in SC leagues. It's a play style different enough that it warrants a different league. For instance, a SF player can't continue their Temp league character in Standard when they don't have access to league only uniques they might want to build around. Same goes for rolling in standard, they don't have access to those uniques. Temp trade leagues themselves offer a relatively short window for a self found player to realize an endgame build of their hoice (ie, not an gear independent build), much less alts.

Likewise, there is nothing wrong with playing self found and finding an upgrade after 2,000 hrs, or less. There is nothing wrong with having a SFL as well. There is nothing wrong with being able to realize one or more gear dependent endgame builds in a 4 month SF league.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give moar Power Creep Pls

Last edited by Druga1757 on Jun 15, 2015, 7:49:48 PM
"
Druga1757 wrote:

People value things for what it can sell in alternate leagues as well. Buying cheap in HC temp, ripping to Standard to sell. Prices and exchange rates also fluctuate when a temp league is near its end and standard prices start dictating.

Claiming sf is viable in current trade leagues is akin to saying HC is viable in SC leagues. It's a play style different enough that it warrants a different league. For instance, a SF player can't continue their Temp league character in Standard when they don't have access to league only uniques they might want to build around. Same goes for rolling in standard, they don't have access to those uniques. Temp trade leagues themselves offer a relatively short window for a self found player to realize an endgame build of their hoice (ie, not an gear independent build), much less alts.

Likewise, there is nothing wrong with playing self found and finding an upgrade after 2,000 hrs, or less. There is nothing wrong with having a SFL as well. There is nothing wrong with being able to realize one or more gear dependent endgame builds in a 4 month SF league.

I don't disagree with the first part, but that falls under the "assumptions of value" as a result those deals can either be good or bad.(like buying up league specific unique's, or future "potential" legacy's)

Also to be clear i don't participate in such meta-trading stuff, i know it most of the times and i can make a reasonable guess that has been accurate in 90% of the cases, but i can't be bothered with the exercise since my characters are usually already completed at that stage in a league.

The second paragraph holds an extremely weak argument though. League specific unique's as the sole base reason for why you might be disadvantaged for playing standard league SFL style?

I get the reasoning but it holds so little weight imo. If your building around such a unique, i don't think your playing SFL, since your putting your hopes/success of the build on a single lotto occurrence.

The chances of that happening are about as high as in standard league.

The last paragraph i fully disagree with.

1) if this is the case, ask yourself, why does an SFL not exist already.
2) the speed of completing builds dictates the replay-ability and the durability of that replay-ability and as such are a big concern for the balance team i imagine.

Kind of busy atm, so i might add more later.

Peace,

-Boem-

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info