SFL league poll

PoE has "smart trading" instead of "smart loot". which accomplishes the same goals while being far less restrictive to options for players.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:
PoE has "smart trading" instead of "smart loot". which accomplishes the same goals while being far less restrictive to options for players.

Peace,

-Boem-

Poe.trade is kind of smart. PoE, on the other hand, does not offer much I will classify as "smart" when it comes to trading.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Jun 15, 2015, 2:03:22 PM
"
Phrazz wrote:
Smart loot in PoE?

In a game, where dropped loot (in my 1500-2000 hours experience) doesn't reach possible loot to the knees, smart loot would be a rather stupid idea. I don't just grind to get items for my character, I grind to get items to build around in the future. Items that gives me ideas. Smart loot would kill that.

You would be able to play the game as it is currently in the trade leagues? I don't understand this mindset where smart loot, or a SFL, immediately invalidates all other leagues/trading/etc. A SFL would be an alternate league, not replacing what we have now.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give moar Power Creep Pls

"
Phrazz wrote:
"
Boem wrote:

Peace,

-Boem-

Poe.trade is kind of smart. PoE, on the other hand, does not offer much I will classify as "smart" when it comes to trading.

An unset ring has 60 life/some resist and 35+ dexterity on it.

Normal person sells it for 5 chaos.

Smart trader sells it for an exalt and more.

that's what i meant with "smart trading", knowing builds requirements, spotting what people are looking for and then finding those people willing to pay the price for it.

If your a smart trader you can pretty much do whatever you fancy in PoE. I think i made a combined of 35 exalts +- in closed beta where there isn't even an indexer in 2/3 weeks or so.

And i don't "flip" drops or play the market efficiently.(i just have 4x 80+ chars that required the gear, so i made it happen)

This thread just makes me think a lot of people cannot value items properly and as such, lose out on a lot of economical power.

Peace,

-Boem-

edit : after rereading that, i should note that i think a lot of people want an SFL because they don't wanna be bothered with actually learning all the different set-ups and potential items that will sell.

So it is far easier to ask for an SFL putting everybody at the same disadvantage as them instead of actually spending the time and using logical deduction based on meta shifts and drops.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Last edited by Boem on Jun 15, 2015, 2:11:55 PM
"
Druga1757 wrote:

You would be able to play the game as it is currently in the trade leagues? I don't understand this mindset where smart loot, or a SFL, immediately invalidates all other leagues/trading/etc. A SFL would be an alternate league, not replacing what we have now.

I don't think you understood what I meant, or maybe I didn't make myself understandable. I'm not against a SFL. By all means, I've been pro SFL for years, but starting to change my mind, when I see all these ideas of "smart loot" etc... I will not play in a SFL if it gets "smart drops". I would play in a SFL with "normal drops", preferably with a little boost to the quality of rare drops, as I haven't seen ANY rare drops (mainly weapons) that a trade would touch with a ten foot pole.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
you also forgot that most players dont visit the forum like......ever, so this forum isnt a representative portion of players.
The first part is true, but does not establish that the forum population is not a representative sample of the playerbase as a whole. It merely establishes the possibility.

there is the middle class, which most of us in the forum belong to. then theres the mirrored gear and shitz people, which i dont see many of in the forums. then there are casual people, who mostly dont give shits about the community, and as such dont visit the forum ever.
this is just subjective

you can at most get a glance at what arguments each side has to offer, but not the proportion of the population for each. if anyone, only ggg could tell us what people really want.
"
Boem wrote:

Peace,

-Boem-

Again, a SFL doesn't invalidate trading, that will still exist as it does in the current leagues. And trading doesn't accomplish the goal progressing your character with your own drops. self-found does. It's a different type of play style progression.

I'll also preemptively address the next part (again) - saying you can play self-found currently in the trade leagues is the same argument as saying you can play HC in a SC league. The two play styles do best in their own league that supports that play style.

"
Phrazz wrote:
"
Druga1757 wrote:

I don't think you understood what I meant, or maybe I didn't make myself understandable. I'm not against a SFL. By all means, I've been pro SFL for years, but starting to change my mind, when I see all these ideas of "smart loot" etc... I will not play in a SFL if it gets "smart drops". I would play in a SFL with "normal drops", preferably with a little boost to the quality of rare drops, as I haven't seen ANY rare drops (mainly weapons) that a trade would touch with a ten foot pole.

A good smart loot system wouldn't make it so only one type of loot would drop. A good one would weigh the drops to your current build, but still let all other types of loot drop as well. You'd still get ar, sword, uniques drop even if you're playing a wander, etc. In a pure rng system like we have now, trade is meant to bypass the rng drops to get the specific stats you need for your build. A smart loot system would make it so you could actually find those specific stat gear upgrades while still getting loot that you won't use. But you can save that for another character.

At least that's how I would see it.

Last edited by Druga1757 on Jun 15, 2015, 2:22:35 PM
dammit, double post

Last edited by Druga1757 on Jun 15, 2015, 2:22:26 PM
"
Boem wrote:

This thread just makes me think a lot of people cannot value items properly and as such, lose out on a lot of economical power.

And that is one of many reasons why every discussion about this topics turns into mud every single time: Because traders assume the reason people want a SFL is because they lack skills. Skills to trade. Skills about pricing. Doesn't know how to spot a good rare. Or a good crafting blue. Or how to flip etc.

It's not about that. Never was. Never will be.

For me, trading will ALWAYS be boring ass hell, no matter how good I am at it. I will NEVER take pleasure buying other peoples achievments. I do NOT play PoE to buy or sell. I play to kill stuff - progress - build - theorycraft - and, most important: Have FUN. And in my mind, "fun" does not include "boring". If I want boring, I'll go do the dishes, I do not log into PoE.

And yes, it's perfectly possible to play like that now. But playing like that, we forsake so damn much of what the game has to offer. Why is it impossible to make room for both, when there's obviously are a lot of SF players out there?

Last edited by Phrazz on Jun 15, 2015, 2:25:52 PM
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
Boem wrote:

And that is one of many reasons why every discussion about this topics turns into mud every single time: Because traders assume the reason people want a SFL is because they lack skills. Skills to trade. Skills about pricing. Doesn't know how to spot a good rare. Or a good crafting blue. Or how to flip etc.

It's not about that. Never was. Never will be.

For me, trading will ALWAYS be boring ass hell, no matter how good I am at it. I do NOT play PoE to buy or sell. I play to kill stuff - progress - build - theorycraft - and, most important: Have FUN. And in my mind, "fun" does not include "boring". If I want boring, I'll go do the dishes, I do not log into PoE.

And yes, it's perfectly possible to play like that now. But playing like that, we forsake so damn much of what the game has to offer. Why is it impossible to make room for both, when there's obviously are a lot of SF players out there?

trading allows me to try more builds, and as such to have more fun. not sayin trading is a well thought-throught thing in poe, but well......what else should i do?

edit: trading isnt advertised in the game at all. its advertised by you searching for ways to trade, for you to realize its not the way you want to trade.
Last edited by likejaxirl on Jun 15, 2015, 2:34:22 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info