Why won't any of my other friends try Path of Exile? ఠ_ఠ

"
Weißenberg wrote:
"
GooberM wrote:
Most of the time they'll give PoE a go. All of them quit because they found the early game too tedious and boring. Probably my fault.
It's just how PoE works. It's a combination of painful learning curve and not so interesting leveling phase. PoE feels harsh till levels 65-75, which is usually when your build is starting to come together.

This is quite interesting because i have a friend who plays softcore and wanted to try the hardcore 1m, for the mtx. He took so many defensive nodes, that he ended up doing no damage.

For me personally i never feel weak. If you make your build right, take some effort with your gear builds can do very well from the beginning.
Most of my friends ended up at least trying it. half of them have gotten to maps, and 1 guy now plays more than I do.

My pitch was:

Its an Action RPG which gives you massive freedom to do crazy builds, it teaches you the basics then treats you like an intelligent human being (eg diablo 2) and not like a moron (eg diablo 3)

It has both hardcore and softcore leagues and challenge leagues every 3 months, races are great too.

worked for me :)
My Shop: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1338089
"
We can play path of exile if we want to...

...Cause your friends don't Path, and if your friends don't Path then they ain't no Friends of mine.

- Men Without Pants

Pants of Exile?

Now I know why templar has none. you thief :D
My Shop: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1338089
Just some thoughts of the top of head because i get frustrated by the replies.

Please stop comparing poe with d3. The only similarities they have is they are ARPG and hack and slash.
Diablo was not even the first of the genre even though people seem to think the game is the mother of ARPG.

Back on topic. I just think PoE players appreciate some other points than people that play d3.

Thoes games are far from alike.
Not everyone appreciate the complexity poe provides and just want a easy to go to experience without to much trouble.
And to quote ggg from the front page.

"

We're sick of the recent trend towards bright, cartoony RPGs. The art style we chose for Path of Exile is dark, gritty and realistic. Wraeclast is terrifying, and we've tried hard to do it justice.

My friend introduced me to the game, and showed me this.. and i dident need to know more. Because that went straight to my hearth.
Another point that i enjoys about poe is that i like inventing new ways to build my chars. I never look at guides myself because that takes the fun away from me, but i think people playing d3 dont want that complexity or wow for that matter.

My point is my friend knew what i liked about games. So ask them what they play and then ask them what they like about thoes games. If you can compare any of thoes answers to poe, they might like it. Otherwise it is a Waste of time.

Last edited by Anubis2108 on Apr 18, 2015, 7:35:43 AM
Well, see...It s kind of hard to explain what really Path of Exile is. It s kind of a mixture between Diablo 2 and world of warcraft. More like Diablo 2, less WoW. In fact, I think only the grinding part comes from WoW. But really, PoE is one of a kind. It keeps you hooked up, it does get updated frequently, the game is based on being supported by the community. GGG listens to the community, our feedbacks, etc. Not many game's developers do that. To me, this game is like a giant bubble that grows by the community. You could prove me wrong, but that is what I think. PoE is only one game I actually play. I do install one or another game on my PC but none have beated the amount of hours I put into playing PoE
I played PoE few days, when open beta started, i didn't finish even Normal, but i tried so many skills, classes and stuff.. then head back to D3(mostly because everything in PoE felt slow, stupid and i had no idea how to use my skills/how to support them).

When PoE 1.0 came out, i started again and this time i knew a few tricks(thanks to Kripp's videos) and this time i got hooked (mostly because i knew that leveling up and gearing up makes your characters a lot better).

I played D3 ROS for few weeks and while i played it, i was thinking about my next PoE build, all the time :D

and about friends.. what friends?
d:-D*
Can you be Wolverine in Path of Exile?
"
StDrakeX wrote:
I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but when I try to explain PoE to my friends when they ask what I'm playing currently, I probably come off as one of those brain washed cult members trying to recruit potential suicide victims. I try to sell it as best I can and people end up straight up not believing it, since they don't believe the levels of enjoyment and hours I've put into it.

So my question to you all is; What is your elevator pitch to get your friends to try Path of Exile?

The friends I want to play POE, just tried it because I played it. Life is easy :)

Spoiler
There is another segment of my friends where I would never even bother -- they fit more the D3 model. That does not stop them from trying to recruit me back to D3. My response is always the same:

Tell me when they drop BOA and then maybe I'll join them for some sideshow gaming/drinking but POE will always eclipse D3 for me.
Spoiler
I tell them to Git Gud and stop being a casul.

Meh, you can tell them to at least give it a try, but if they dont like it dont force it or maybe they dont want to invest time to learn another game.

Both ways their loss.
Closed Beta Member.
It seems that many ppl mention that a problem is that POE is slow in the beginning. GGG has announced that they with Act 4 expansion have overhauled the whole progression experience. So judging from this feedback I guess GGG is well aware of the games weaknesses.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info