Until melee is fixed, a lot of people will not comeback.

I repeat my idea of weapon specialization for resurrect marauder from oblivion: if a marauder wields a 2 handed weapon, he will have 7% flat physical damage reduction and +1% to all max resist per endurance charge. Done.
Last edited by Wispo on Jan 9, 2015, 9:09:08 AM
"
Wispo wrote:
I repeat my idea of weapon specialization for resurrect marauder from oblivion: if a marauder wields a 2 handed weapon, he will have 7% flat physical damage reduction and +1% to all max resist per endurance charge. Done.

Sounds like I should make my RF discharge character a marauder then.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
*when using a melee skill*
Then a lot of the suggestions could be implemented safely.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
"
torturo wrote:
*when using a melee skill*
Then a lot of the suggestions could be implemented safely.

So I can equip ground slam, then still run my build fine or are you talking about only gain the benefits when actually using the melee skill (that wouldn't fix anything)

FeelsBadMan

I thought it was easy to get. Skills with "melee" in description. It's what defines melee. It's not the range. RF, for ex. fights at close range, but is not "melee".
Yes, when using the melee skill. Quite obvious.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Jan 9, 2015, 11:19:00 AM
Melee sucks so much if you just take a look on any any ranged build.
Oh and BTW melee SO slow in clear speed and hard bosses.
"
torturo wrote:
I thought it was easy to get. Skills with "melee" in description. It's what defines melee. It's not the range. RF, for ex. fights at close range, but is not "melee".
Yes, when using the melee skill. Quite obvious.

Ok let me explain this a little better. GGG doesn't have any way of knowing a character is melee or ranged in regards to making it so only one can benefit from passive (all the time) bonuses.

For example if your suggesting that I only get the max res while ACTIVELY using a melee skill then that should be possible. But that defeats part of the purpose of the benefit, if you aren't ACTIVELY using a skill (stunned, ect) then you won't gain the benefit.

As for having a melee skill equipped I was suggesting that people can find a way (and they always do) to exploit benefits like this added for one class.

So simply having a melee skill socketed won't be good enough.

As for melee clear speed checkout some flicker strike builds or hege staff builds. As for bosses, I have a character JUST for killing bosses and shes melee...

FeelsBadMan

Last edited by goetzjam on Jan 9, 2015, 11:24:36 AM
I can't get your point. Do you mean melee is fine in it's current state, or nothing can be changed/improved as it's impossible, or nothing should be done as everything is good as is.
People are just throwing ideas here and there, it's developers' job to figure it out how exactly.
What's your point and is there any.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
My point is the idea won't work. People throw idea out all the time that simply can't work from a mechanical standpoint in PoE.

Melee isn't unplayable, that is for sure. It has some serious issues when it comes to risk\reward and gearing to an extent. But to say melee is unplayable in PoE is simply incorrect.

Do a little research and see that melee can clear pretty fast, do the same mods as most other builds and enjoy PoE.

FeelsBadMan

"
lolozori wrote:

My main problem is not about that, my main problem is a ranged will never have to invest in armor or defensive stats after he pass level 70. All he have to do is take dps nods and clear the screen before enemies are on him.

I dont think thats true, a char that doesnt spec defenses will die, simple as that. How many builds has Unhost played? How many of them made it to maps? How many of them made it to lvl90? Im not sure, I can tell you the only build he played that made it to lvl100 was a melee build. why arnt ranged chars hitting hc lvl100 all the time? Because they die, a lot, even with hc level defenses.

"
lolozori wrote:

How is it that a caster can use MOM +AA + intelligence based auras+ ES + still take evasion nods while a strength based character is just able to use Armor or evasion or he need to heavily specialize into intelligence skill point for other defenses?

Why should I as a melee need to invest 100% of my stats in defense when a caster who never miss will just need 1 node on the skill tree (MOM) and 1 defensive gem (AA) to tank better Phy damages than a melee character (I am doing a little caricature here but I hope you see my point, They still need less investment for better results)?

but its not armour or evasion, you can take armour and evasion, and get twice as much of both while sticking in the bottom of the tree than a caster can get of 1 while sticking to the top.

Mom + AA does not tank better than a melee, not even remotely close to tanking better than a properly specced melee. I have an arcer witch using a legacy Cloak Of Defiance with lvl25 arctic armour + inner force, over 5k life, over 5k mana, 600 mana regen per sec, its not mirrored gear mental setup but its a pretty serious gear set all the same. Her defenses are absolutely dogshit compared to my melee characters, I mean really shes paper thin compared to an armour evasion hybrid character with the same gear levels. Proof of this is that even as a ranged autoaim 20k+ dps arcer she has died a couple of times in high maps, that doesnt happen to my melee characters in the same situation.

Leg posted a vid in the other thread of him tanking shots from merciless Kole with an IR char. When he claimed AA and Cloak were the best defenses, I went and tried the same thing. I took the cloak witch with her lvl25+ inner force arctic armour and stood in front of Kole. I also did it with a hybrid armour + evasion marauder.

The marauder stood there a while before he got slammed, when he got hit he lost about 1/6 of his life, barely a scratch, then next slam missed, and next missed, and then the next missed.. by the time he hit me again my regen had my like back to 100% and I lost 1/6th again. I never took more damage than 1 slam which hardly hurt at all, I could have just stood there forever not moving getting hit by this guy without ever using a potion or hitting him back, literally impossible for merciless kole or any physical mob that hits as hard to kill that marauder.

the witch got hit for a little over 1/4 of her life, then he missed, then he hits again at which point Ive barely regened anything at all because Im a witch not a marauder with tons of regen... by the 4th time i got hit I was below 1/3 of my life and I had to move, I had to get out of there because this is a lvl94 witch and Im not going to lose 10% xp to merciless kole, fuck that, and I would have died, there is absolutely no doubt if I kept letting him hit me I was going to die quite soon. The lvl89 marauder could stand there forever and never even lose 1/3 of his life at any point.

Mom + AA is not good compared to armour evasion hybrid when done right, its not even remotely in the same league and Im trying it with lvl25 inner force arctic armour. Doesnt match hybrid, doesnt match coil evasion, shouldnt match pure armour aegis block either tbh, Its possible your char could stand there and afk merciless kole better than my witch, and my witch has more expensive gear than your marauder. Its not bad, its one of the best defenses on the table for a life based top of the tree caster build, its good enough to do the game as a ranged, but its comparatively bad compared to spending the same points as a melee in the bottom half. I have mom chest so I dont even need the keystone, I do need mana tho, shitloads of mana, and shitloads of mana regen and reduced mana reserved passives... I need a similar amount of passive investment to end up with worse defenses, because the game is designed so that melee can get much better defense for their points.

Even when its the same, its not the same. My coil bow ranger, got evasion, ondars, phase acro, lightning coil, pretty much same defensive spec and pathing my dagger coil melee ranger uses. The melee has the same defensive tree, its a rare occasion where they are the same because I am crit dagger melee and hence have to go to shadow hence have less access to endurance etc. But I have a shield, that means I have more evasion, and while the block is reduced by acro I still have block chance. So by default even a 1h melee than is forced into semi ranged defenses because the tree is actually balanced to give non crit melee more defense, I still end up with better defense than the same spec with a bow. and more damage. and more leech.

Of course melee take more risks, more damage, but they have better defenses to take damage and generally do more damage at similar gear levels. I see ranged characters die all the time to stuff my melee characters would laugh at, could afk in the middle of. Theres truth in what all of you are saying, but I think the reason you feel its so extreme that its a major problem is personal experiences with builds that are not really taking advantage of the defenses GGG has put there to use. If people say melee need better defense, and GGG has put better defenses there for melee and they didnt spec it, what do they do? Put even more defense there? What if you don't spec that as well? How stupidly buffed are melee builds who do spec these things going to get? How can they ever solve the problem if people don't spec the solutions?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info