Until melee is fixed, a lot of people will not comeback.

I used to play game called Wakfu, it also had melee vs ranged problem and the designers came up with interesting solutions. Ranged still were doing as much damage on high range as melee in melee range. BUT ranged had damage penalties to short range or even couldn't do certain skills too close to them.

Idk, how would that work for PoE. But I find it silly, that I can just stand next to monster and shot arrows at him on my ranger. I should keep distance 24/7 or get destroyed in melee. That would be balanced, imo.
Last edited by osesek on Feb 1, 2015, 7:42:39 AM
"
osesek wrote:
I used to play game called Wakfu, it also had melee vs ranged problem and the designers came up with interesting solutions. Ranged still were doing as much damage on high range as melee in melee range. BUT ranged had damage penalties to short range or even couldn't do certain skills too close to them.

Idk, how would that work for PoE. But I find it silly, that I can just stand next to monster and shot arrows at him on my ranger. I should keep distance 24/7 or get destroyed in melee. That would be balanced, imo.

What you sujest will require disengage skills. Desync will not alloud this to happen.

PoE will never recover from decisions that were made by GGG. It will always be a great game thrashed by untalented programming.
I guess, you're right. Melee vs ranged is a common issue in many games and imo Wakfu came up with the most interesting idea to balance it. Melee were strong in melee and weak in range, Ranged were weak in melee and strong in range. It's well balanced and realistic.
"
maxkardinal wrote:
"
osesek wrote:

What you sujest will require disengage skills. Desync will not alloud this to happen.

PoE will never recover from decisions that were made by GGG. It will always be a great game thrashed by untalented programming.

You mean ranged characters will have to suffer the effects of desync now too?

Good :P
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
"
Legatus1982 wrote:
"
maxkardinal wrote:
"
osesek wrote:

You mean ranged characters will have to suffer the effects of desync now too?

Good :P

I really don't understand your failed logic to see here. Its like you want everything to be exactly the same. Really what you are describing what you would like is D3, everyone wants pretty much the same unique rings, same set bonuses, same stats on gear, ect. Melee to ranged disparity isn't really there either because melee gets bonus defenses.

PoE doesn't need to recover from anything, they put out an awesome game that doesn't fit everyones needs or desires in a game.

Would I like to see improvements made to make melee more desirable, you bet.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
I don't even know what you're saying there goetzjam. It isn't written in normal English.

What I want is pretty simple. I want poe to be balanced and not have desync. I think I can say with a good bit of confidence this is what most players would want.

I mean what's the excuse for viper strike being as bad as it is? For sweep? For whirling blades to be so shitty relative to the other movement skills? Whirling blades is the only movement gem that is literally completely trash as an actual build and it has been this way for over a year. I could go on but you understand the idea. Honestly with the proper statistical monitoring on ggg's end they could train a monkey to identify necessary balance changes.
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Feb 2, 2015, 12:22:02 PM

"
What I want is pretty simple. I want poe to be balanced and not have desync. I think I can say with a good bit of confidence this is what most players would want.

Balance will forever be an illusion. No matter how much they change things, something will be more desirable and something will be least desirable, that is simply how a game like this works. Desync topics are all over these forums (as you've said) no need to make this another desync topic.

"
I mean what's the excuse for viper strike being as bad as it is?

IDK, I am not GGG I cannot begin to try to understand why they changed viperstrike, perhaps you should give feedback on the skill gem in the skill gem thread.

"
For sweep?

Sweep hasn't been a thing since they removed phase run a long time ago, I guess with the new hege staff some people are using it and people can use it with pillar, its just very niche right now.

"
For whirling blades to be so shitty relative to the other movement skills? Whirling blades is the only movement gem that is literally completely trash as an actual build and it has been this way for over a year.

Wait do you want WB to be used as a damage or movement skill? I understand leap slam is used as a leveling skill with 2 handers, but I don't see people doing clears with blink arrow or lightning warp as primary damage skills.

FeelsBadMan

I have seen several builds with lightning warp, one of the major streamers is making a LW totem build pretty soon and I've seen it before. Blink and mirror build I've also seen, just find them with any random Google search. They all exist and are fairly good. Whirling blades on on the other hand is total trash and I've never even seen an attempt to run with it.

As for balance being an illusion that is hilarious. Prove why the game can't be balanced. There is no reason at all. None. Nobody is asking for every gem to have EXACTLY the same effects and damage as every other gem but it's pretty fucking clear which ones are good and which ones are total shit.

And that's BEFORE you look at the survivability of said builds like in melee vs ranged.
-----
Bug Fixes:
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Feb 2, 2015, 12:44:35 PM
"
I have seen several builds with lightning warp, one of the major streamers is making a LW totem build pretty soon and I've seen it before. Blink and mirror build I've also seen, just find them with any random Google search. They all exist and are fairly good. Whirling blades on on the other hand is total trash and I've never even seen an attempt to run with it.

The totem build thing is an interesting concept, but one that is far worst then just selfcasting a spell like arc instead. Are you sure blink+mirror were being used for damage sources and not just positioning\defense skills, they weren't using frenzy, TS, SA or LA?

I've seen WB clear regular atziri, I don't think it was ever or should be intended as a damage only source. You talk about balance regarding skills and seems like you want positioning skills like WB to be able to replace primary damage skills.

"
As for balance being an illusion that is hilarious. Prove why the game can't be balanced. There is no reason at all. None. Nobody is asking for every gem to have EXACTLY the same effects and damage as every other gem but it's pretty fucking clear which ones are good and which ones are total shit.

You so mad. What game has the proper balance you are looking for in PoE? Poe is a great game, QoL changes, some more skill tree changes (this always happens anyway) and some skill gems\unique item changes always are done. Nothing however is going to happen just because you post on the forums complaining about melee.

"
And that's BEFORE you look at the survivability of said builds like in melee vs ranged.

Yes this has been brought up a thousand times already.

Why didn't you comment on sweep?

FeelsBadMan

"
goetzjam wrote:
Are you sure blink+mirror were being used for damage sources and not just positioning\defense skills... ?

Check out the guide in my sig.

Blink/Mirror Arrow summoner is totally legit -- way more than I thought it would be at the start. It's easily my favorite character in the last few years, and easily my most successful when I account for the (lack of) effort and gear that went into it.

---

As for the rest, I disagree that balance in PoE right now is in a good state.
I also disagree that balance is unattainable (read: it doesn't need to be perfect).

This thread is really dense with a lot of voices; don't want to add to the noise.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info