Until melee is fixed, a lot of people will not comeback.

"
lolozori wrote:
"
goetzjam wrote:

What melee build are you going to do next?

Cast on death :P

Sad but true, after 7 deaths to desync (or was it 8? lost count actually) I'm rerolling flicker this time. Cuz if you can't survive either way, why not go full YOLO mode

Also someone who has looked at my profile should tell snorkle that my bloodlines melee was at 75 when he died. And that was the 5th iteration of that build.

I'm still waiting for him to do better
my evasion is so high i only insta rip sometimes
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Jan 12, 2015, 4:27:41 PM

"
And that was the 5th iteration of that build.

Didn't work the first 4 times, gotta do it again.

"

Don't care to do better then you, i'll stick to sc where I can just have fun an enjoy the game. Not to mention my current internet situation.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
goetzjam wrote:

"
And that was the 5th iteration of that build.

Didn't work the first 4 times, gotta do it again.

"

Don't care to do better then you, i'll stick to sc where I can just have fun an enjoy the game. Not to mention my current internet situation.

Well, you both don't have anything logically to add that makes melee superior in any way or even on par with ranged builds.
You don't have any support for your opinion, since the ladder is filled with caster and range.
You don't have any characters mapping as melee in the current HC league.

So what is your opinion actually BASED ON? Because for anyone with a brain, it's looking to be based on nothing.
-----
Bug Fixes:
People were using cyclone for actual melee builds, so we nerfed it and made blade vortex. Also, we went ahead and made cyclone great for CoC casters while we were at it.
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Jan 12, 2015, 5:30:07 PM

"
Well, you both don't have anything logically to add that makes melee superior in any way or even on par with ranged builds.

You get the satisfaction of actually smashing the face of the mobs with your weapon.

"
You don't have any support for your opinion, since the ladder is filled with caster and range.

Again back to the ladder with your "melee sucks". The ladder isn't a good reflection of the game AS A WHOLE, its a reflection of those builds that typically gear easier at the start and people continue to play. Spells scale with level over anything else, hence why top ladder players are using spells. As for ranged aside from LA back in the day, it wasn't until the addition of the new quiver bases that ranged (archer) builds got picked up. In regards to builds like spec throw those have been nerfed pretty heavily. Builds like wanders also got a buff with a new skill.

"
You don't have any characters mapping as melee in the current HC league.

Neither do you now :D

"
So what is your opinion actually BASED ON? Because for anyone with a brain, it's looking to be based on nothing.

Based on what I hear, see and learn. I'd learn not to do the same failed character after 2-3 times, but apparently it takes more then that for you. Perhaps maybe not starting as a shadow and comparing the duelist to sucking as melee, when it actually appears that "your" shadow melee is indeed the one that is actually suffering.

FeelsBadMan

Your solution to my problems surviving as melee is to roll a non crit class, lol
-----
Bug Fixes:
"
Legatus1982 wrote:
Your solution to my problems surviving as melee is to roll a non crit class, lol

Your comparison to melee is to roll a a crit class on the other side of the tree and use the duelist on a ladder as a comparison to how melee is in general.

Is twin terrors not good enough for you to start duelist, seems like that and sicking along the right side going towards the shadow would be better for a life based shadow....but then again I don't play shadow or melee because they both "suck"

FeelsBadMan

"
Legatus1982 wrote:
No snorkle, your two melee chars from 3 leagues ago among a sea of sc characters in current leagues do not indicate that you're caught up on current events in hc. Quite the contrary

those chars were from beyond

I get to 75 on day 2/3 if Im playing seriously, maybe takes 5 if Im going casual. Then I grind them for another 400+ hours after that in actual high maps, thats why I know about endgame builds, Ive played them extensively. I build a serious character on softcore same way I build it on hardcore, theres no difference in the builds and how much damage they take.

You should play softcore, ud actually learn something rather than chain ripping builds in hc and never really understanding why it isnt working, thats a serious suggestion btw. Endgame hardcore is for experienced players who have mastered the game, you could really do with just dropping the guard and going to sc, play a variety of builds in endgame. Understand what it is like to play well built defensive characters so you have some kind of reference point to judge what you are doing against. You are hindering your learning by just repeating the same mistakes over and over and then coming away from it feeling like it was desync at fault not the build.

You are laughing at me for playing in a sandbox which is basically what standard is, but we are talking about making sandcastles here, you think I might know a thing about that? I dont want to argue with you or be on bad terms, this isnt sarcastic knife twisting, on some level I actually want to help, its honest advice.

thoughts on desync...

Spoiler

7 deaths to desync, you might want to load up Kripps youtube, look back about 2 years for his video on desync with melee and how to control your desync with the shift button, why it happens etc. Sometimes you want to desync your char and sometimes you most definitely dont, but simply learning to press shift might have been enough to save you 7 deaths. So would speccing a character with proper defenses for facetanking mobs.

If desync kills you more than once a month you are playing characters who are under geared, under built or seriously under leveled for the content you are playing. I die to desync in this game maybe once every 5 months or so, I desync all day every day but it doesn't kill me. My armour evasion hybrid melee can stand and take hits from merciless kole forever, he cant out damage my life regen, literally impossible for him to kill me. So what happens if I desync in front of mobs that hit that hard? Nothing, absolutely nothing. If I happen to desync into a fully stacked flameblast from magnus in a -max lvl77 map then yeah maybe I will die, that sort of completely randoms shit happens maybe twice a year, not 7 times in a month. That says right away that the level of defense on your characters is not high enough, I know the desync wasn't your fault but if you die to it regularly its a sure sign the character is flawed.

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
Legatus1982 wrote:
No snorkle, your two melee chars from 3 leagues ago among a sea of sc characters in current leagues do not indicate that you're caught up on current events in hc. Quite the contrary

I get to 75 on day 2/3 if Im playing seriously, maybe takes 5 if Im going casual. Then I grind them for another 400+ hours after that in actual high maps, thats why I know about endgame builds, Ive played them extensively. I build a serious character on softcore same way I build it on hardcore, theres no difference in the builds and how much damage they take.

You should play softcore, ud actually learn something rather than chain ripping builds in hc and never really understanding why it isnt working, thats a serious suggestion btw. Endgame hardcore is for experienced players who have mastered the game, you could really do with just dropping the guard and going to sc, play a variety of builds in endgame. Understand what it is like to play well built defensive characters so you have some kind of reference point to judge what you are doing against. You are hindering your learning by just repeating the same mistakes over and over and then coming away from it feeling like it was desync at fault not the build.

You are laughing at me for playing in a sandbox which is basically what standard is, but we are talking about making sandcastles here, you think I might know a thing about that? I dont want to argue with you or be on bad terms, this isnt sarcastic knife twisting, on some level I actually want to help, its honest advice.

thoughts on desync...

Spoiler

7 deaths to desync, you might want to load up Kripps youtube, look back about 2 years for his video on desync with melee and how to control your desync with the shift button, why it happens etc. Sometimes you want to desync your char and sometimes you most definitely dont, but simply learning to press shift might have been enough to save you 7 deaths. So would speccing a character with proper defenses for facetanking mobs.

If desync kills you more than once a month you are playing characters who are under geared, under built or seriously under leveled for the content you are playing. I die to desync in this game maybe once every 5 months or so, I desync all day every day but it doesn't kill me. My armour evasion hybrid melee can stand and take hits from merciless kole forever, he cant out damage my life regen, literally impossible for him to kill me. So what happens if I desync in front of mobs that hit that hard? Nothing, absolutely nothing. If I happen to desync into a fully stacked flameblast from magnus in a -max lvl77 map then yeah maybe I will die, that sort of completely randoms shit happens maybe twice a year, not 7 times in a month. That says right away that the level of defense on your characters is not high enough, I know the desync wasn't your fault but if you die to it regularly its a sure sign the character is flawed.

This is good advice. You already know my viewpoint on where valuable advice comes from: experienced players. I already mentioned, in another thread where we had this discussion, that reaching levels into the high 90s indicates a player with valuable knowledge/experience that is required to master the game. While I also respect players who take on hardcore leagues, I only truly respect the players who make it to level 90+ there. Also, being better and faster at pressing F4 in order to play logoutcore doesn't impress me much. I remember when HvR was the first level 100 in the world: that he did it in standard didn't matter at the time. He was the world's first level 100 in PoE. And now he also has a level 100 hardcore toon. I'll bet if you ask him about what he gained from playing in standard, he may tell you it was a safe place to learn and master the game before bringing his skill to hardcore.

P.S. - Every great martial artist learns and masters how to fight in a dojo before winning any prizes in competitions. The same thing applies to all walks of life.
Last edited by Gemdraco on Jan 12, 2015, 11:23:25 PM
"
Gemdraco wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

thoughts on desync...

Spoiler

This is good advice. You already know my viewpoint on where valuable advice comes from: experienced players. I already mentioned, in another thread where we had this discussion, that reaching levels into the high 90s indicates a player with valuable knowledge/experience that is required to master the game. While I also respect players who take on hardcore leagues, I only truly respect the players who make it to level 90+ there. Also, being better and faster at pressing F4 in order to play logoutcore doesn't impress me much. I remember when HvR was the first level 100 in the world: that he did it in standard didn't matter at the time. He was the world's first level 100 in PoE. And now he also has a level 100 hardcore toon. I'll bet if you ask him about what he gained from playing in standard, he may tell you it was a safe place to learn and master the game before bringing his skill to hardcore.

P.S. - Every great martial artist learns and masters how to fight in a dojo before winning any prizes in competitions. The same thing applies to all walks of life.

He hasn't made it to 90+ there, least of all on a melee character. He has THREE total hardcore characters, two of which are rangers, and one which is a duelist which he SAYS is from beyond (but could really be from any past league, such as the one where ele cleave was actually good), and is only level 82 anyways.

TLDR you are making this guy into something he's not. He's a standard league player who plays, primarily, ranged characters.

He doesn't have the experience, he has no logical ground for his opinion, and there's no data to support him. So he has literally nothing to contribute to this thread, period. Every word of text he types is doing nothing other than misleading people into believing an idea that is 100% false.
-----
Bug Fixes:
Last edited by Legatus1982 on Jan 13, 2015, 6:55:38 AM
"
Legatus1982 wrote:
"
Gemdraco wrote:

He hasn't made it to 90+ there, least of all on a melee character. He has THREE total hardcore characters, two of which are rangers, and one which is a duelist which he SAYS is from beyond (but could really be from any past league, such as the one where ele cleave was actually good), and is only level 82 anyways.

TLDR you are making this guy into something he's not. He's a standard league player who plays, primarily, ranged characters.

He doesn't have the experience, he has no logical ground for his opinion, and there's no data to support him. So he has literally nothing to contribute to this thread, period. Every word of text he types is doing nothing other than misleading people into believing an idea that is 100% false.

I understand where you're coming from on that. I don't agree with him on everything he writes but I agree with the last point he made concerning standard being a good place to hone your skills (builds and such) before unnecessarily dying too many times in hardcore. Not all of us in softcore are skill-less scrubs. As you already know from what I have written in another recent melee thread, I am completely aware of the state melee is in and I am in agreement with you on that. And not only is that a problem for me now, the game is also crashing almost every time I zone since the 1.3 patch and I know I am not the only one with this problem, but it's being ignored because only a small percentage of players are suffering from it, I guess.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info