Finishing Touches: My map design [Cancelled]

"

The title is a direct reference to SC II's mission ''In Utter Darkness'' =x so yes I want that title

well then have it contain Zerg or something :)

seriously, you are designing a unique map. I can't stress that enough it seems.
do something that makes the player say "wow, that's cool! haven't seen that before".
because right now after all your updates, all I see is just a super-hard Rare map with "trololo" monster types and a bit of darkness sprinkled on top.

EDIT: just read the latest update. "monsters deal more damage the darker it gets" is a cool mechanic. you're getting there.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Jan 2, 2015, 3:35:42 AM
"
"
Are you sure you want to call it "In Utter Darkness"? Sounds cheesy, not ominous.

Having it on other language hands a bonus (Gotterdamerung, Dominus, Matua Tupuna) and in/or/at and such make it less dramatic.

What about "Utter Darkness" or "Pelna Noc"? For instance, or go faux latin.

The title is a direct reference to SC II's mission ''In Utter Darkness'' =x so yes I want that title

Call it "The Three Kappas"
"
ItsRay wrote:
"
+ 150% - 200% Rarity | IIR Decreased but added IQ
+ 50% Item Quality

Doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

Its sad that you just got to have enough money and not knowledge in the game.

Or did you seriously mean that all items should drop with 50% quality when 20% is the max in the game? (without vaal)

The thread creator probably meant +50% item quantity not quality :)
ty =x
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
@kompaniet: finally a reasonable person ;)

@I_NO: What about the idea of some "safe spots" in the map? Areas of light or artefacts, that can be visited / touched to heal up again, lower darkness, monster damage and so on? (Modified) Shrines could be perfect for this. Movement speed to be able to better avoid grim monsters, inc. evasion/armor to get past deadly situations etc.?

Another example would be high level vitality aura areas (way higher than those players would have) to counter the mobs with corrupted blood better. "Run to the shrine people! Darkness is coming!" style :))

The "touch the stone - lower the damage/darkness" is a mechanic that can be simply borrowed from zanas "touch the stone - stress through maps" concept ;) That would allow you to keep the ticking damage-upgrades without making the map unreasonably rippy.

And regarding the rewards for this (hard) map: What about a "Keeper of Light" or something that appears only when you have killed all bosses? A vendor that sells Orbs at a better ratio (like masters) and has a chance to sell chaos/ex/div/eternal?
The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
Last edited by ghamadvar on Jan 2, 2015, 11:45:23 AM
"
ghamadvar wrote:
@kompaniet: finally a reasonable person ;)

@I_NO: What about the idea of some "safe spots" in the map? Areas of light or artefacts, that can be visited / touched to heal up again, lower darkness, monster damage and so on? (Modified) Shrines could be perfect for this. Movement speed to be able to better avoid grim monsters, inc. evasion/armor to get past deadly situations etc.?

Another example would be high level vitality aura areas (way higher than those players would have) to counter the mobs with corrupted blood better. "Run to the shrine people! Darkness is coming!" style :))

The "touch the stone - lower the damage/darkness" is a mechanic that can be simply borrowed from zanas "touch the stone - stress through maps" concept ;) That would allow you to keep the ticking damage-upgrades without making the map unreasonably rippy.

And regarding the rewards for this (hard) map: What about a "Keeper of Light" or something that appears only when you have killed all bosses? A vendor that sells Orbs at a better ratio (like masters) and has a chance to sell chaos/ex/div/eternal?

I temp removed corrupted blood I got a lot PM's about it <.< I may add it back I don't see an issue with corrupting blood as it's easily counterable from my experience anyway

Prox shield has also been temp removed too from one of the bosses

Soul eater is remaining on mother spider forever =x

as for the stones thingie maybeeeeeeeeeeee

The 50% Elemental damage and penetration is to counter Immortal call spam I may just change it to Chaos damage.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Coconutdoggy on Jan 2, 2015, 12:06:05 PM
I don't see a problem with corrupted blood either. As long as you give people enough opportunities to refill their staunchings. Otherwise it will kill too many portals xD

The stone thingy was just an attempt to bring more ways to the map in terms of surviving it. More help allows more danger. Otherwise you risk that the map gets too rippy to be exciting and likeable to be played if you are not cautious. And that would be a shame ;) But maybe the stones and shrines are a little bit too much ...

Prox could be a cool feature to increase the tension for ranged exiles. Especially regarding the theme of the map. I think that every "class" (melee, ranged, ele, phys etc. in combinations of course) should have it's own nemesis in this map. Maybe three of the four are easier to kill for some. But there should be the one bastard that gives you headaches. If prox or corrupted are the right way? don't know exactly. But it would be cool to really balance the map around this. Escecially for group play maybe ...

What about the reward? Drop rates are not working in your favor when you try to make the map as dangerous as it should be imho. Nobody wants to risk deaths for Blackhearts and Kaom's Signs. If it is not rewarding to some point, people might skip it. Is the vendor a good idea? Or maybe something like this? Maybe he is the one to be rescued? And sells orbs, maps and random stuff (even Ex, high-tier-uniques or high-lvl-maps when you are lucky) for fair prices after you rescued him? Would be better than just increasing the iiq und iir of the boss when this just turns blackhearts into carnage hearts in most cases ;)

edit: seen the guaranteed map drop. Going in the right direction.
The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
Last edited by ghamadvar on Jan 2, 2015, 1:46:08 PM
"

But the map you designed has no relation with that mission whatsoever, why do you insist on that name?

Coward's Trial is really similar to that mission actually.
Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Last edited by rockmassif on Jan 2, 2015, 2:20:20 PM
"
rockmassif wrote:
"

But the map you designed has no relation with that mission whatsoever, why do you insist on that name?

Coward's Trial is really similar to that mission actually.

I like the name -.- at the end of the mission whatever guy pretty much devours the entire universe and goes ''It ends in utter darkness'' Literally.

Map continues to grow darker and darker stating ''It ends in utter darkness'' ( If you don't have enough DPS anyway ) That's the direct relation to the mission and the SC II map.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Coconutdoggy on Jan 2, 2015, 2:35:40 PM
"
"
Lyralei wrote:
I'd imagine it might be better to substantially increase the damage/exp granted by monsters but decrease the pack size.

If I'm to lose all vision, I think I should feel like I'm being hunted by dangerous predators instead of slowly creeping through a minefield of devourers.

Huh? You want me to add a Additional EXP modifier?

Sorry for the late reply. I meant both increase the damage and EXP gained and decrease the pack size which keeps the relative experience granted even.

I checked your revision and I like it a lot more now. It looks scary and is certainly something I'd run.

Be sure to ask for custom music! The more foreboding, the better!
Last edited by Lyralei on Jan 3, 2015, 12:03:41 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info