Finishing Touches: My map design [Cancelled]

Last boss drops Shavrones, Kaom's Heart and Soul Taker. May also drop 2 additional, high tier rare uniques. Monsters deal +5000000% more damage. Devourers everywhere.

Is I designer yet?

I gotta admit that I despise the "unique boss will drop lots of uniques" concept with passion. We have map with that already. And changing it to 3 unique MAPS makes it even more retarded. 3 unique maps which include ITSELF. Chain for infinite maps. Seriously?

I really wish that people who can design something could be a little more creative than "throw some big numbers in". Gotta admit the last most interesting unique I have seen were Shackles of the Wretched. They are as UNIQUE as UNIQUE gets. I really wish to see more uniques like them, and less "THIS ITEM GIBS YOU MUCH STATS!" kind of thing : - /
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
johnKeys wrote:
"

You're saying this because you can't do any hard stuff and you've died to easy stuff too of course you would trash this unique because you would likely die.

bullshit comment is bullshit.

I tried Death And Taxes once, and got obliterated. didn't complete it.
and still I thought "what an awesome map!".
why? because it was .... wait for it ... unique.

as opposed to "lel Spiders and Devouers with extra damage coming out of darkness lel".
"Proximity Shield + Corrupting Blood + <insert moar top-player-hated mods here>. trolololo".
which .... is not unique.
hard? yes. annoying? definitely. aimed at trolling the player? probably.
but not unique.

You've got issues if you don't wanna do it or can't handle the map don't do it.
I worship ee-sama!
I have pretty much the same feedback last time I saw this map. The darkness theme is cool. The rest of it needs work.

The thing that's cool about the darkness theme is that changing what you can see has the potential to change how you play. Light gives information and depriving players of information changes the decision-making process. Things like Devourers can't be seen even in the light, so how exactly does the darkness change anything? Might as well include water elementals and zombies, too... as long as you're looking for monsters that play exactly the same regardless of how much light is available.
Last edited by PolarisOrbit on Jan 1, 2015, 6:15:59 PM
"
+ 150% - 200% Rarity | IIR Decreased but added IQ
+ 50% Item Quality

Doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

Its sad that you just got to have enough money and not knowledge in the game.

Or did you seriously mean that all items should drop with 50% quality when 20% is the max in the game? (without vaal)
"
ItsRay wrote:
"
+ 50% Item Quality

Or did you seriously mean that all items should drop with 50% quality when 20% is the max in the game? (without vaal)

? The fuck is this shit

IQ and IIR are in the game why is that hard to understand? Maybe you don't know shit about the game.

IQ exist on items such as Perandous belt

This applies the entire effect through the map while having a very high IR.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Coconutdoggy on Jan 1, 2015, 6:33:21 PM
"
"
ItsRay wrote:
"
+ 50% Item Quality

? The fuck is this shit

IQ and IIR are in the game why is that hard to understand? Maybe you don't know shit about the game.

You meant Quantity, instead, you put Quality
"
"
ItsRay wrote:
"
+ 50% Item Quality

? The fuck is this shit

Aaaand thanks for showing everyone what i meant

Nice insults tho
Last edited by ItsRay on Jan 1, 2015, 6:48:53 PM
I really like the base concept of an utterly dark map with scary monsters. The original 100% reduced light radius doesn't allow for much in the way of strategy, and the newer 30% doesn't make it scary at all (though the 90% would).

My suggestion - have unpin the light radius from player ES/Life. Now it can be reduced dramatically (say -75% to -95%) and have the light radius fluctuate a lot and randomly. You might get some faster spikes of light and darkness, followed by a slower period of light radius change.

The key part would be not letting the players have any control over the light radius.

If possible, I'd also give the monsters a buff dependent on the map's current light radius.
(and I'd let GGG balance these numbers)

As the map gets darker, the monsters get an increase in physical and elemental damage reduction.

As the map gets brighter, the monsters get an increase in the amount of damage they deal.

The idea would be to lessen remote skill spam killing by players, and make the monsters much more scary when you can see them.

The guardian spider is an interesting idea, but imo, the current form (15 seconds non-killable) of it seems like it would generate more frustration than planning and tactics from the players.

What if the guardian spider:

1 - could appear at any time, even with a boss spider or the giant devourer.
2 - still random map event
3 - appear for only 4-10 seconds
4 - appear in groups of 1-4
5 - still cannot be killed, but do no damage themselves
6 - guardian spiders have 2 versions

Version A casts curses (and the curses can stack - so a player could have 4 curses on
them.)

Version B reflects 5-35% of all damage (if possible to traps, minions, totems as well)

The idea being that when guardians appear, the players really have to pay attention to what is happening and can't just DPS slam their way out. I think the guardians would add more 'fear' to the game this way.

One last suggestion - You could add some spiderweb walls that cannot be passed at all by movement or movement skills. The "life" on these would be random, so they might be easy to destroy, or they might be tougher to take down. With low light radius, they would make it harder for players to just run away unless the player had cleared a path. They would also add to the spidery feel of the map.

I really like the overall idea of your map, and I will be looking forward to finding it. I will be probably be dreading running it when I do find one, but then that fear is half the fun, no?

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Do you know what I think would be really cool!!!? Let's say if at the end of your map you are given a choice where you can sacrafice one of your level 8 masters in exchange for getting a random top tier unique?

(Yes even Charan's sword =p)

That would be pretty intense!
Spoiler
Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.

@polaris: i think the main concept is fear, not darkness. Devourers still have to pop up to attack, so darkness matters even here. But still: Darkness might just be more like an intensifier (if this word exists ;)) for fear, not the main feature.
I imagine myself running through a map where i cannot see shit, while spiders get stronger and stronger and attack me, while one of the most feared and deadly mobs of POE is hunting me unseen, buffed and ready to pop up right beside me ;)
Undead for example wouldn't be too frightening. Especially as a ranged you could simply kill these slow, weak mobs by shooting into the darkness, even if you don't know exactly where they are. Devourers on the other hand can't be killed "by guessing", because they only become killable when they pop up ... So yes: fear is there ;))

The Sirus fight is a disgrace.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info