Do we expect too much from GGG?

"
"
Raycheetah wrote:
If the road to hell s paved with good intentions, then GGG is building a superhighway. They work SO hard to deliver a quality game, yet all anyone ever seems capable of talking about is the (relatively benign) problems with PoE. GGG is possibly the most engaged, ethical, and genuinely nice buncha game developers out there. Do they bite off more than they can chew? Constantly. Do they screw up sometimes? Naturally. Do they own up to and correct the mistakes they can? Automatically.

GGG has spoiled us. Shame on them, right? =^[.]^=

Like forum mods can give a non-bias thought. If you don't like a comment, mod it away!

Honest pfft

Former forum Mod. Aside from reporting Baba Ji threads for deletion, occasionally, I am just a player, now. Dun try to rationalize away my right toan opinion. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
"
Raycheetah wrote:
If the road to hell s paved with good intentions, then GGG is building a superhighway. They work SO hard to deliver a quality game, yet all anyone ever seems capable of talking about is the (relatively benign) problems with PoE. GGG is possibly the most engaged, ethical, and genuinely nice buncha game developers out there. Do they bite off more than they can chew? Constantly. Do they screw up sometimes? Naturally. Do they own up to and correct the mistakes they can? Automatically.

Couldn't have put it better, and I hope you know that really means something.

I do. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
^ 10/10 post. I love edge's editorials, in print and online
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
To my knowledge, GGG have not made a game prior to Path of Exile(I could be wrong.)

That said, Path of Exile has been probably one of the most enjoyable games I have played since the first time I picked up a controller. It has been wrought with problems and there are issues but none of them are so harsh that they can bring down the actual fun of the game for me.

PoE is a perfect storm of everything I love about RPGs. Do I expect too much from GGG? I think I might but that is because they gave me something that is so beyond anything I could have ever expected from a AAA developer at a cost of 60 dollars. However it wasn't, it was cobbled together over many years by a handful of developers that had an absolute passion for what they were working on and what they wanted to produce.

That vision hasn't always lined up with my vision of where I want the game to go but I just could never bring myself to hold it again them. Every minor speed bump along the way is part of the journey and I'll always be thankful for everything GGG has done to deliver Path of Exile.

Now if they would just fix the hitboxs on the GOD DAMN DOORS, it'd be perfect.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
Spoiler
"
Raycheetah wrote:
"
jdilly23 wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:

Do you genuinely believe that if 100% of the community shared your attitude the game would have come this far?

If everyone just gave them a big virtual hug and told them they were amazing no matter what, would they have any motivation to do well?

Serious question.

On topic, I think we would be expecting WAY too much from GGG if they didnt set themselves up for this.

You cant just promise everyone the best game ever through the guise of absolutely amazing development and say fuck it and start doing something else while expecting the same feedback.

Anyone who actually gives GGG a hard time (for more than a couple threads before rage quitting) has been here for a long time. Long enough to see how awesome GGG used to be. Long enough to see GGGs old vision of PoE.

Oh, look, my evil twin. You make a point, but it isn't the point of this discussion. You can pour your poison elsewhere. =^[.]^=

Still think its a question worth answering :) I understand that you are a very positive person and thats refreshing. But do you see how it can lead to problems? Or to the lack of solving problems?

"just for try, for see and for know"
"
jdilly23 wrote:

Still think its a question worth answering :) I understand that you are a very positive person and thats refreshing. But do you see how it can lead to problems? Or to the lack of solving problems?

Your question seems redundant. If 100% of the community would be happy about the game, there would be no need to change anything, the game would be perfect. I don't understand the point of your question.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:

People using words like 'enslaved to the economy' really baffle me. Get some perspective lol.

"
Pyrokar wrote:
enslave myself to the economy to be able to successfully reach my goals

Which were killing Atziri in a hardcore temp league. Even Anuhart would struggle to do that and he is crazy.

From my perspective, i was enslaved to the economy and to balance changes from previous patches if i wanted to accomplish that.
If you don't like the word i guess i could have used "work the economy" to have MOAR PERSPECTIVE.

Right?
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
Last edited by Pyrokar on Nov 19, 2014, 1:49:13 AM
Every time you accomplish something people's expectations of you will grow. It becomes harder and harder to live up to those expectations.
Last edited by TGeorge on Nov 19, 2014, 1:58:18 AM
"

As I suspected, the stars did align for Condor, and I don't think GGG could reasonably expect the same. Still, something's got to change because this current state of making money mainly to sustain a released product (sustain, not complete) rather than working on future ones is worrying. I support GGG, not just PoE.

This distinction *must* mean something.

I think this mode of sustaining the game rather than completing it has problems, and it will be a sad thing if the game only gets where they wanted it to be as it eventually dies and no ones left to actually play the finished thing.

That said, I dont worry about too much. Why? Because Diablo was a piece of shit compared to this game, so was Diablo 2. Quaint little arpgs that stuck a toe in the oceans this game swims in, and that comes from someone who was playing Diablo 1 at launch, not some kid who went back to try out an old game and found it was too old. Its a shame PoE will never have the budget and time to be the game it could be, that IS frustrating to see for a lot of us, but that has to be put in perspective when what we have already is 10x as good as anything else has ever been made.

When I get bored or frustrated with PoE I try and play other games, theyre all shit. Diablo? Just cant go back, its shit, TQ? Its shit. Torchlight 2, Dragon Age, Neverwinter Nights, Witcher, blah blah, theyre all gone, theyre so 'nothing' compared to PoE I cant even give them a weekend to complete their tired little single player experiences while trying to take a break from a 2 year PoE slog. Sure I loved all those games for what they were, but they have been rendered obsolete in so many ways by this game that is so much better than them it feels like turning off Game Of Thrones to go watch Adam West doing Batman and Robin.

I do worry at times that some things will never be sorted (not talking about desync, which I dont care at all about), that the game is being 'sustained' before it really has everything you need to 'release' a game and the sustaining seems to be taking priority over getting this game to the point where you could put it in a box and sell it in the old school fashion. While thats worrying to some extent, right now Im playing PoE because there really is no other game. There were other games, and I loved them, then I played PoE and every other game before or since was obliterated. Why do people sit around the forums bitching? Dont they have somewhere else to go? No, they have nowhere else to go. This may not be the greatest game that could ever be but if you want that you are better off bitching at Chris to 'fix' PoE than waiting for any other developer on the entire planet to make a better game. While far from an ideal situation, part way down a never ending, hard, stressful road, its important to remember to enjoy this game for what it is while its still a thing because its unlikely you will ever have a better game on your pc.
Last edited by Snorkle_uk on Nov 19, 2014, 2:20:09 AM
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

Spoiler
I think this mode of sustaining the game rather than completing it has problems, and it will be a sad thing if the game only gets where they wanted it to be as it eventually dies and no ones left to actually play the finished thing.

That said, I dont worry about too much. Why? Because Diablo was a piece of shit compared to this game, so was Diablo 2. Quaint little arpgs that stuck a toe in the oceans this game swims in, and that comes from someone who was playing Diablo 1 at launch, not some kid who went back to try out an old game and found it was too old. Its a shame PoE will never have the budget and time to be the game it could be, that IS frustrating to see for a lot of us, but that has to be put in perspective when what we have already is 10x as good as anything else has ever been made.

When I get bored or frustrated with PoE I try and play other games, theyre all shit. Diablo? Just cant go back, its shit, TQ? Its shit. Torchlight 2, Dragon Age, Neverwinter Nights, Witcher, blah blah, theyre all gone, theyre so 'nothing' compared to PoE I cant even give them a weekend to complete their tired little single player experiences while trying to take a break from a 2 year PoE slog. Sure I loved all those games for what they were, but they have been rendered obsolete in so many ways by this game that is so much better than them it feels like turning off Game Of Thrones to go watch Adam West doing Batman and Robin.

I do worry at times that some things will never be sorted (not talking about desync, which I dont care at all about), that the game is being 'sustained' before it really has everything you need to 'release' a game and the sustaining seems to be taking priority over getting this game to the point where you could put it in a box and sell it in the old school fashion. While thats worrying to some extent, right now Im playing PoE because there really is no other game. There were other games, and I loved them, then I played PoE and every other game before or since was obliterated. Why do people sit around the forums bitching? Dont they have somewhere else to go? No, they have nowhere else to go. This may not be the greatest game that could ever be but if you want that you are better off bitching at Chris to 'fix' PoE than waiting for any other developer on the entire planet to make a better game. While far from an ideal situation, part way down a never ending, hard, stressful road, its important to remember to enjoy this game for what it is while its still a thing because its unlikely you will ever have a better game on your pc.

Sure I loved all those games for what they were, but they have been rendered obsolete in so many ways by this game that is so much better than them it feels like turning off Game Of Thrones to go watch Adam West doing Batman and Robin.

Funny you mention this,I actually own all current GoT episodes and also the 1966 Batman Movie and Good old Adam West gets a far bigger workout than any GoT episodes.

It still stands the test of time with my six year old and myself enjoying it right now and I never get sick of all the corny tongue in cheek that provides so many giggles.

And I guess there's a point in there somewhere .... maybe that different people are going to have far different ideals as to what makes something worth revisiting at all.

I wonder how POE will stand the test of time and if any of us will still be bound to it in another ten years.

=)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info