Do we expect too much from GGG?

"
Zogina wrote:
"
RockGod wrote:

litle things that wouldn't take much time to fix but would improve the quality of life for everyone playing the game...

Thanks for pointing that out, I think I don't need to install the client to check out a next season.

PoE is the only game for me, were the the solution to the problems is to not play it:

"
We're working on a better system for this for league migrations in the future.

Maybe it is for some folks like me, the other way around, we expect less content and less problems with new content and less nerfs, maybe that is too much expectations and we maybe spoiled from other games.

Anyway, have fun the 3 weeks in standard/hardcore and next season.

See you around Feburary 2015, cheers.

What other games? The ones that charge you for buggy overpriced dlc? The ones that rarely update content and when it's launched need countless patches? That's every other game mate.
"
"
VSwift wrote:

What other games? The ones that charge you for buggy overpriced dlc? The ones that rarely update content and when it's launched need countless patches? That's every other game mate.

Uhm, no.

Uhm, yes. Easy to get overdramatic when you have some bugbears but don't belittle how much PoE brings compared to the current cash grab piss poor supported game industry as a whole. It's a bit boring.
Last edited by VSwift on Nov 22, 2014, 6:23:09 PM
Never mess with a guy whose supporter tags cost the same as a small apartment in the centre of Hong Kong.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
"
Every other game? No. You can't exactly ask people not to be 'overdramatic' when you're doing *precisely that* with your generalisation.

Also, to even implicitly accuse me of not understanding what PoE/GGG have brought to the table regarding the ethical possibilities of free to play is downright hilarious.

You might think this is going to turn into an argument, but you'd be vastly overestimating both my patience and your ability.

Why is that...am I supposed to be impressed by your supporter tags and therefore your supposed immense knowledge and experience? Um no. I think you are widely overestimating what your comments mean to me. Keep on whining Charan. Here's a tiny violin for you.
Last edited by VSwift on Nov 22, 2014, 6:50:32 PM
"
"
Never mess with a guy whose supporter tags cost the same as a small apartment in the centre of Hong Kong.

I've been wrong about plenty of things. And each time, I completely own up to that. But in this case, it's what those tags represent, which I shouldn't have to spell out for anyone.

Ignore my flippancy, I was merely attempting to bring a little levity back into the thread.

Anyways, how is Smite going? I made a mistake buying Far Cry 4 and now I need something else to eat up my time while waiting for the new league.

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Well it sounds intriguing. I was never really a big arpg fan until I found PoE... and I am also not a big MOBA fan, mostly because of the interactions I have had with their communities off their respective reservations. (And people think PoEs community is toxic...)

You figure Smite might be a good intro to the MOBA style world? I'm not really in the mood to put any more money into a new game, Far Cry 4 is bullshit and Dragon Age Inquisition has this messed up DRM that is bugging the shit out of me (which is annoying because it is a great game, but goddamn it why?).

ON TOPIC: I look forward to seeing what awaits in the next 12 months with PoE. My expectations are pretty low, mostly because of previous experiences, and I don't have much of a personal investment beyond my time and enjoyment... More of the same and then some will do me fine.

I still think that PoE is being tailored to GGGs expectations, and it would be remiss of us to pretend that their vision will always be the same as ours. GGG has changed a lot since the days of Open/Closed beta, new people, new ideas, new ways of attracting market share... It's a huge juggling and balancing act.

Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Nov 22, 2014, 8:29:10 PM
"

As for PoE, it'll always come down to one simple question: is the game good enough to put up with the flaws? Answer that for yourself and you'll know where you stand. We're way past the stage of player feedback dynamically affecting the game's direction. In fact, other than times when GGG specifically ask for feedback on something, I don't think it's even worth butting one's head against that wall. They're making the game they want to make and as long as the community's collective answer to the aforementioned question is a resounding 'yes', they'll keep making the game they want to make.

I'm comfortable with this, and I'll happily say yes.

Will give Smite a go, I've always wanted to be a "feeder".

To me, in short... The GGG guys are a bunch of fresh, new, wide-eyed video game lovers who just happened to have the bright idea to make their own game... And, being new to the industry, didn't have many predispositions from the "flavor of the day" on what should be put in games, so they made use of a LOT of bold and, in industry terms, controversial ideas. Heck, the ENTIRE itemization and economic system flies in the absolute face of the meticulously counted-out, rigid-fixed formula that's been the norm for RPGs of all stripes for perhaps a decade now. Idea-wise, the concepts (skillgems, consumable currency, itemized lategame, free-form passive building, etc.) are absolutely brilliant, and far more fresh than anything I feel a company like Blizzard or Bethesda will ever put out in the next 10 years, because those, as billion-dollar companies, are entrenched in the conventional wisdom that "you'd have to be suicidal to try something that unusual in a game."

Of course, on the flip side, we know that the developers ARE new to this. This means that they don't intrinsically have a feel for how the balance will work out, and similarly, their programmers aren't deeply experienced and know how to tackle all sorts of issues that pop up. And all of this shows; we've had dozens of threads bemoaning how imbalanced things are regarding crits, and as much as GGG may say otherwise, it is uniquely plagued by the amount of desync it has, the memory issues, the soundcard issues, disconnects, and other bugs that are, in fact, really major compared to what games from the rest of the industry look like.

So, by complaining and re-bringing all the issues wrong to light, are we expecting too much of GGG? Not in the slightest. I feel that we, as the player base, want precisely what GGG wants: to have PoE be a shining example of a GOOD game that stands on its own merits, rather than, like every AAA title, to how steadfastly it holds to the "known formula that works." I know I haven't yet put down enough to have as fancy a title under my name as many of the others here, but I think I can speak for more than just myself when I say that as long as GGG actually keeps moving PoE in a positive direction, then I'm pleased. It's only when it seems questionable that they might not be that I feel concerned.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
"
sherkhan wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
... (responds to Charan)

I'm seeing a pattern where certain louder members of the community take up a significant amount of dev mindshare (at least in responding to these people). Unfortunately, those people are not necessarily the best voices out there (in terms of offering advice that will lead GGG to be successful company in days to come).

Nothing against Charan - just a point of note, in the light of recent postings on reddits re personal emails from Chris on rather pointless questions from players.

Makes sense though, would you rather respond to your friend or someone screaming obscenities at you?

A significant portion of the community is hostile towards GGG - GGG is a sensitive bunch, why would they want to interact with us?

When devs give up on being actively involved with a games community they only respond to people they want to respond to, which is reasonable.

Unfortunately the hostile side of the community feels entitled to dev communication and the 'Charan' side can probably just text Chris if they would really like to discuss something.

Just pretend the devs dont exist, you will be much happier :)
"just for try, for see and for know"
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
To start with -
"

The reason I didn't 'back my argument up' is because I thought all of this was obvious. And now I feel like I've taken a dead horse and abused it with a barbed stick. I'm sorry. :(
Don't be. That was and interesting read, and I'm glad you posted it. I do think it's interested that this concept seems so obvious to you and at the same time so alien to me. This is probably more a factor of what games we grew up on than anything else, and it's always interesting to hear such a differing perspective.

"
Firstly, I've been playing a lot of SMITE lately, and spells there cannot crit. Then again, neither can attack skills, only basic attacks, so that's probably some food for thought. What this means is that the damage range of spells (and skills) is much easier to regulate and balance. Of course, we're comparing a MOBA to an ARPG, so there's probably wiggle room there.
I don't want to completely derail the topic, but if you could expand a bit more on this, or link me to a good source of information on how this works out, I'd be quite interested. I'm particularly intruiged to know how often you're using basic attacks (and what can count as a "basic attack" for this purpose) compared to other skills.

"
To my knowledge, spells can't crit in Dungeons and Dragons either, but I only played up to 3/3.5, so if they've changed that (I hear WoTC has tried to make D and D more like an ARPG), I can't speak to it.
They can in 4th and 5th edition. I did a little digging and from what I can tell the crit mechanic doesn't generally apply to spells in 3/3.5 because you're not making an attack roll (that could roll high and thus be a crit), rather the enemy is failing a save roll against the spell. Apparently touch spells could crit because they require an attack roll for the touch, but take that with a grain of salt because it's something I just read on the Internet about a game system I'm not overly familiar with.

"
A critical hit to me is one that strikes a vital organ or 'weak spot', and is typically associated with attacks that aim for such. This is why daggers are so commonly associated with critical hits. Certainly, other melee weapons can and should have the chance of dealing a critical strike (because it could be anything from a punctured lung to a shattered skull, etc), but really, to me whether or not you crit comes down to targeting, expertise and anatomical knowledge.

Spells generally don't bother with any of that. They're far more constant in effect: one fireball should be, give or take, the same size as any other fireball assumed both are cast the same way and by the same person. Said ball of fire hits, and the damage it deals doesn't really discriminate. You don't get to pick targets. The amount of damage really isn't relevant, but because we're talking about a ball of fire, let's say it does more damage per hit than a dagger stab or an arrow shot. That's the constant nature of the spell. Reliable damage. Very lucrative. Not much gamble. Fire ball hits, things get set aflame and take lots of fire damage. Yay.

That's just one spell of course. Feel free to substitute in any other. With the exception of a spell type that targets specific areas of an opponent, there just isn't the same synergy as with the aforementioned dagger to the [insert targeted squishy bit here].
I can understand where you're coming from, but I don't see that this is necessarily really a spell/attack distinction. An attack like sweep, swinging the weapon around in a circle to hit many foes, isn't really going to be aimed at a specific body part, and and laser/beam like spells certainly feel like they would. I'd certainly grant that weapon attacks more often lend themselves to this kind of aiming.
For a hypothetical, how would you feel about a game where single target spells and attacks could crit, but AoE ones could not? That actually feels more like the distinction you're making to me, although I could be wrong.

"
I'm not saying that spell critting is always a bad thing, but it's usually a factor of imbalance.
I don't see any reason why spells critting would necessarily be any more a sign of imbalance than attacks critting - particularly ranged attacks, since spells tend to be ranged. This may again be a case of us being exposed to different games, but the general association of spell crit with imbalance is not one I've developed over my gaming life.

"
Spells in PoE cannot miss. They almost always have a secondary effect when they crit, and those secondary effects can be devastating.
This is certainly true, and particularly since the addition of accuracy checks on crits, does present a reason why spell crits are inherently more powerful than non-spell crits in PoE.
Spells not missing never made much sense to me personally - if I were making my own game I'm not sure it would occur to me to have attacks miss and spells not (although using different stats to determine their accuracy would).

"
The chance to crit on daggers should be local, not global, but when I asked Chris why this is the case long ago, the answer was very clear: to give spell-casters more options as weapons. There's no real logic why wielding two otherwise non-magical daggers (two white kris', for example) should make your spells hit any harder; the concept of the dagger as a weapon that enhances critical hits should be tied to the idea that a dagger is a precision weapon.
Thematically, we wanted daggers to work with spells on the basis of the "ritual dagger" which is a longstanding trope, and certainly are sometimes seen as implements of spellcasting. Mechanically, we needed other weapons to work with spells. Design-wise, global crit made sense as a stat that thematically fit the dagger = crit association, and worked with both spells and attacks without giving them two implicits.

Thanks for explaining where you were coming from, it was an interesting read (and I certainly don't disagree with all of it).

On-topic, I think some people do expect too much, some expect to little (and many are probably in both groups with respect to different issues). Certainly the percentage of people who claim to know how easy something is to implement or change and are actually correct is at the very least on the low side - this job has taught me a lot about not assuming I know how another person's code works and what changes make sense.
I think in many cases it isn't so much that people expect too much, but that they expected something different to what they got, and tend to take the position that what they had expected is what should have happened, or even what we actually wanted, and see what we delivered as a failure from that perspective.

After all of this, I feel you both should get a room...

Errr I mean a Skype chat with some "virtual" alcohol poured into AlphaHowls...I did not mean to reference anything IRL.

Snickers....
-Time to be funny. The world needs funny right now! Warning: "Might" get you muted.

25 Exalts...oh God my stupidity stuck! Now onto 25 Divines...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info