Do we expect too much from GGG?

"
"
Sa_Re wrote:
This thread was interesting a few pages ago, now its just balance whine and d3 bashing. :/

"
Mark_GGG wrote:

I can at least understand your opinion on the "shouldn't be able to reach 95% crit" thing - I disagree with it, personally, but I can understand why some people wouldn't.

Damn, hoped that you devs were not happy with the current design. 95% crit might be explainable with RL comparisons, but 95% with insane attack speed is not.

~sticks tongue out nanana a dev agreed crit is fine.

You win this time, but I'll be back. Oops that was BMBI's part, nvm.

"
Quazplum wrote:
So I'm a little confused, if you can understand why people have a problem with it, that means you see in some way there's a problem with it, because you understand it. But then having an opinion opposite to that understanding is like saying: "Well I can understand why you think the earth revolves around the sun, but I disagree with it"

You don't have to agree with someone to understand his different opinion.
Yea I don't get it, if I'm having a conversation about something with my wife and I said something like that I'd be sleeping on the couch.

"Yea honey I understand why you don't like me pissing on the seat, I can understand why it would suck for you to accidentally sit on my piss, but you know what, I like pissing on the seat it's easier to just spray and hope most of it gets there instead of aiming so I'll continue to do that"

I think the crit thing is just too much work for them or something kind of like their outdated engine is too hard to just redo.
If you stand next to a double boss Corpse-Explosion, you're gonna have a bad time. RIPKRIPP
Last edited by Quazplum on Nov 20, 2014, 8:48:29 AM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Crits are fine. Crit should be a lifestyle. Think of Bruce Lee vs Arnie. Who would win? Arnie... cuz Bruce is dead.

But the problem PoE has is that it has rewards that make crit even better than crit. Cast on Crit, and crit multiplier. Faster attacks. Status effects. All sorts of things that make crits even better than simply a crit. That's the problem with them. There's just too much other stuff that feeds off the crit. Then damage is "expected" at that level and crit becomes essential to play. Anyone who doesn't do it is gimp.

It's poor design.

And that's the problem here, they have so many things intertwined with Crit they can't go back and mess with the whole game. But maybe they could change a few things like if someone is going for a burn build and they want a huge crit to have a bigger burn maybe the nodes could state something like:

"Crit multiplier for burns" or something like "Longer freeze duration on critical strikes" instead of just 450% CRITICAL MULTIPLIER FOR EVERYONE, CRITS FOR ALL!
If you stand next to a double boss Corpse-Explosion, you're gonna have a bad time. RIPKRIPP
Last edited by Quazplum on Nov 20, 2014, 8:44:00 AM
"
"
Sa_Re wrote:
This thread was interesting a few pages ago, now its just balance whine and d3 bashing. :/

"
Mark_GGG wrote:

I can at least understand your opinion on the "shouldn't be able to reach 95% crit" thing - I disagree with it, personally, but I can understand why some people wouldn't.

Damn, hoped that you devs were not happy with the current design. 95% crit might be explainable with RL comparisons, but 95% with insane attack speed is not.

~sticks tongue out nanana a dev agreed crit is fine.

This is why devs don't participate with the community more often. He was talking with Charan about design, and then you twist his words around to rile people up about how this game is balanced. That's not even the same subject as what was being addressed.
"
This is certainly true, and particularly since the addition of accuracy checks on crits, does present a reason why spell crits are inherently more powerful than non-spell crits in PoE.

Ailments......

Do you really think it's okay that a spell with many allocated crit nodes and multipliers does 7 times more damage than a spell based on raw damage nodes?

While I am not against crit. I am against ailments and over the roof crit multipliers.

Remember Diamondflasks in CB? Imo they were okay but the issue were over the roof multipliers.

SC characters rolled 5 Surgeon Flasks maxed their multiplier used Lightning arrow later connected to 40% penetration gems. and cleaned maps within seconds, because everything received around 10 times the base damage constantly.

Nobody PVPs because of Crit, CT will never work because of ailments and crit.

High level PVP died really early in CB because Invalescos Crit Flicker Shadow was popular, some mixed it with Beartraps and then nobody used the queue anymore.

Same thing with CT races. Literally everybody figured out once you freeze your opponent you will win. While the damage output can be countered you haven't got a chance to attack your opponent or run away so your regular potions fill your healthbar.
The nerf on damage during the "CT are back tests" did nothing because freeze still worked on players.
Once a duelist/mara/scion breaks certain attackspeedcap with the 2-handed mace/staff it's essential to have flasks with unfreeze to even have a chance.

Crit their tied Ailments are a major design problem.
Imagine if players could be frozen in D2. PVP would have been a Frozen Orb Snoozefest.

"
choopk1993 wrote:
Too many cheaters in POE to name. Most set their profiles to private. Non never gets punished.I have a list of em and refresh their profiles to see if they ever get banned.Most of them use a certain something as an advantage.

You should try playing the game. It's much more fun than refreshing web pages.
Im a bit late to the party here but I had a few ideas for critical strikes. Sorry if it's been mentioned already.

I see getting a crit as using extra focus to have that wep or spell hit a specific weak spot on the enemy. Since you are concentrating extra to get those specific weak spots, it would make sense that you don't pay as much attention to your defenses. So the higher crit chance you have the higher the penalty to your defense (res, armor, evasion, w/e). Another downside that would seem to make sense is that extra concentration lowers your attack and cast speed.

I didn't put a ton of thought in to this, but it seems to sound logical and maybe could help with the balance issues some are worried about.

Again sorry if it's been mentioned and if it has, I would just say I'd agree with that kind of change.
Peep
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
There's plenty of evidence that the most fundamental elements of PoE were mistakes made along the way from which GGG must learn.

<snip>

Crits? Spells. Should. Not. Crit.
What?

I can at least understand your opinion on the "shouldn't be able to reach 95% crit" thing - I disagree with it, personally, but I can understand why some people wouldn't. But coming from someone like you who's usually good at backing up what they say, this being thrown out with no justification (that I can see) seriously confuses me. Why shouldn't spells be able to crit? I can't from the top of my head name any game I've played including both spells and crits where they can't (but such games may well exist). I'd certainly expect that if I started a new game and it had both spells as a means of dealing damage and some form of crit mechanic, that the two would have some overlap.

Not trying to troll*, but I'd be genuinely interested in your reasoning for holding this belief, especially since you seem to hold it so strongly.

*I'm pretty sure you actually know that without me saying it, but for the sake of some people who might view the thread and misinterpret my intent, I felt like clarifying.

Oh, so you never played Diablo2 ? ;)
"better to simply go balls deep full retard if you gonna go retard." -Boem-

"
This is why devs don't participate with the community more often. He was talking with Charan about design, and then you twist his words around to rile people up about how this game is balanced. That's not even the same subject as what was being addressed.

*sticks tongue nananan he agreed crit is fine
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
As a casual player, it amazes me every time I browse these forums for a brief time how much crap one has to sift through, so I cant imagine how ggg has maintained so much tolerance, professionalism, and an even keeled attitude in dealing with all the nitwits and ungrateful losers on here.

I played d1 and d2 as soon as they were released and enjoyed them thoroughly even with all their massive problems early on. I've played PoE as a latecomer for only the past 3 months and have enjoyed it at least as much if not more than the 2 benchmarks.. and this is a 2+ year old free game? Just the diversity and choices available keeps the interest level very high for players like myself with much different priorities today than early d1, d2 days.

To me the creators of this game are simply geniuses and the staff have been very pleasant and lenient. They have set the bar very high for themselves with the product they've created and maintained. It is not wrong to expect them to continue delivering quality and enjoyable gameplay.

It's wrong and unrealistic to expect perfection and everything that you personally want and suggest to be done. It's worse when you troll, constantly complain and behave like a general asshat over a free GAME.

Either adjust your expectations and enjoy and appreciate the game for what it is or play less or quit entirely its that simple. Save the rage for something that really matters.
Dark_Chicken - lvl 100 Marauder
Divine_Chicken - lvl 100 Duelist

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info