just beat Shock And Horror

"
johnKeys wrote:
"
VictorDoom wrote:
i dont ever recall having a problem with this fight...

man if you went in with the same gear you showed in that Uber Atziri thread, I'm hardly surprised you didn't.

I said "not uber-geared melee", Vic.
and a strategy for a melee would be nice too, similarly to the strategy Snorkle presented for Puncture ranged.

Easy boss as melee
Easy boss as range

Use the pillar

TOO2HARDFORJOHN?

You can even use remote shadow mine
You can even do Lightning flask and go in a pillar

SO HARD YO
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Coconutdoggy on Oct 26, 2014, 3:58:54 AM
"
johnKeys wrote:
"
VictorDoom wrote:

man if you went in with the same gear you showed in that Uber Atziri thread, I'm hardly surprised you didn't.

and a strategy for a melee would be nice too, similarly to the strategy Snorkle presented for Puncture ranged.

... why would i do elvel 71 maps with uber gear and a level 90+ char?

dude i mean when leveling through the maps, in new leagues with new gear and chars, i never had a problem with this fight as melee or as ranged.. its really not hard.. at all.. i dont even recall having to dodge stuff in it tbh..

John it just sounds like your char is badly geared/bad build to be honest, youre making a thread about so many maps or fights in the game because you cant do them for some reason... i think it would be best if you just posted in the gameplay help your gear and your build, people would help you improve your character and youll be able to do these things a lot easier.
I carve and sell real animal skulls, check out my work here: https://www.instagram.com/victorseiche/
https://www.facebook.com/victorseicheart/
World first Uber Atziri as 2h and 2h RT build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950
Highest level char in Closed Beta, Wytchfindergeneral
Last edited by VictorDoom on Oct 26, 2014, 4:04:37 AM
"
VictorDoom wrote:
"
johnKeys wrote:
"
VictorDoom wrote:

... why would i do elvel 71 maps with uber gear and a level 90+ char?

dude i mean when leveling through the maps, in new leagues with new gear and chars, i never had a problem with this fight as melee or as ranged.. its really not hard.. at all.. i dont even recall having to dodge stuff in it tbh

John it just sounds like your char is badly geared/bad build to be honest, youre making a thread about so many maps or fights in the game because you cant do them for some reason... i think it would be best if you just posted in the gameplay help your gear and your build, people would help you improve your character and youll be able to do these things a lot easier.

He blames the game / developers on their decisions despite he likely has a horrible build / horrible gear
I love teddy bears.
Last edited by Stygian_Doll on Oct 26, 2014, 4:14:42 AM
ah what the heck, I'll just post it here:

standard main

gear

BUILD

Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
So how much HP does that combo give you?
OB: BazzVone - 83 Dual Spork Totem Templar /w CI and minions
CB: BazzVfourteen - 80 Dual Spork Totem Templar /w CI
CB: BazzVtwo - 73 Dual Spork Totem/LS Templar
CB: BazzVseven - 76 Lightning Strike Mara
CB: BazzVfive - 78 Lightning Strike Mara
"
BazzV5 wrote:

about 3k.
which believe it or not is enough for a SC fast evasive Bow Ranger, which very rarely gets hit at all.

it's all about playing style really, and fitting the Ranger theme: I don't want to tank anything, when I can dodge, kite, Puncture it, curse it, knock it back, gain charges off of it.
speed, as the primary means of survivability.

works out great so far, except against insane gear-check boss attacks like Shock And Horror's "can't dodge this" laser.
"
johnKeys wrote:
ah what the heck, I'll just post it here:

standard main

gear

BUILD

Puncture as AoE skill and Frenzy as single target? You'd want Puncture as single target skill, and use Split arrow or Tornado Shot as your AoE.

With that gear you should be able to offscreen shock and horror. Except rings, they are attrocious for that build, I can't believe you are on std and don't have better rings than that.

Also, you'd want Crit Damage on Puncture, not Crit Chance (assuming you have high enough crit from gear and passives).
„I don't give a fuck if it was his tenth anniversary with his goddamn neckbeard...“
„If they think I'm going to let them sweep this pizza guy thing under the rug...“
No mod action. Business as usual.
Last edited by Odoakar on Oct 26, 2014, 5:15:13 AM
"
johnKeys wrote:
"
BazzV5 wrote:

about 3k.
which believe it or not is enough for a SC fast evasive Bow Ranger, which very rarely gets hit at all.

I believe it's enough "most of the time".

However it is still a glass cannon build.
And there are things in this game that rape glass cannons. Which is a good thing.
(btw: why lioneye's glare on a crit build?)

I like Shock and Horror.
If you can't beat her or are afraid to get raped, you don't have to enter her room.
She's one of the tougher bosses, and she's pretty brutal for her level, yes.

But would the game really be better if all bosses were 100% harmless idiots and pushovers like the bosses in...
Crypt, Dried Lake, Dunes, Dungeon, Grotto, Overgrown Ruin, Tropical Island, Arsenal, Mountain Ledge, Sewer, Thicket, Wharf, Ghetto, Reef, Mud Geyser, Reef, Spider Lair, Springs, Vaal Pyramid, Overgrown Ruins, Catacomb, Promenade, Shore, Tunnel, Bog, Coves, Pier, Underground Sea, Arachnid Nest, Dry Woods, Strand, Mine, Waste Pool, Canyon, Cells, Dry Peninsula, Gorge, Underground River, Bazaar, Plateau, Academy, Precinct, Shipyard?

(I excluded every boss that can at least attempt a "oneshot" or do some crazy magic stuff that can overwhelm a player or uses some weird mechanics. The bosses in this list are pretty much like rare monsters without mods, but with a little more hp)

The rest:
There's only a couple of map bosses in this game that actually do crazy stuff that can quickly kill you (like Shock and Horror, Crematorium, the "far shot" thing, the chaos DoT of the zombies ads in Spider forest, the fat spider and her friends in Jungle Valley, Museum's Trio).
There's a couple that are quite hard, but you should be used to fighting them (like Piety, Maze, Courtyard, Merveil).
All depending on your build and game sense, of course.

Let the hard ones in, and let them try to kill you.
There's some players who actually like being challenged.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Oct 26, 2014, 5:34:58 AM
"
Odoakar wrote:

With that gear you should be able to offscreen shock and horror.

• I did off-screen Shock And Horror. you just don't like reading it seems. and I'm upset I needed to, rather than "man mode" her because of a very specific shitty gear-checking, build-limiting mechanic.
  • my gear and build isn't one to withstand a Death-Ray. it's one to dodge it. either manually or with dodge/evasion mechanics.
    and when I can't dodge it - by definition - it's bad, complete gear-check design.
    checking for very specific gear at that.
  • Puncture as single-target and Tornado Shot AoE, huh? well why don't I just dumbly copy a ZiggyD/Foxtactics/whatever flavor-of-the-month build and be done with it?
    seriously man, it took a whole year (maybe more) to put this Ranger together, and while I did base the last tree-reset on something I saw on the build forums - it's still a very customized and very personalized version.

"
Peterlerock wrote:
There's some players who actually like being challenged.

myself included. which is exactly why I get pissed at getting one-shot by something that measures gear rather than skill.
that's not "challenge". it's a cheap "always hits and you die unless a fuckton of HP and overcapped res" Death-Ray, which could have been done better in so many ways.
yes, while keeping the good interaction with the pillars.

and most of the "hard"/"interesting" bosses you mentioned are either cheap gear-checks with damage through the roof, system-lag checks with more particles than a Cern Collider could handle, or both.
that's not "difficulty".
that's not "challenge".

challenge, is - ideally - being able to fucking get things done, no matter your gear and build.
challenge, is Vaal Oversoul. not fucking "nullify your FPS" Merveil.

MORE EDIT: and skipping? that's the pinnacle of bullshit.
listen to me closely:
you. should. not. skip. anything.
no matter how fucking crazy it is.
Last edited by johnKeys on Oct 26, 2014, 5:39:14 AM
"
johnKeys wrote:

my gear and build isn't one to withstand a Death-Ray. it's one to dodge it. either manually or with dodge/evasion mechanics.
and when I can't dodge it - by definition - it's bad, complete gear-check design.
checking for very specific gear at that.

The opposite is true.

Shock and Horror is 90% skill check.

You are supposed to dodge the laser beam using those pillars.
Then you have 20 seconds time to shoot her.
Then you dodge it again. Manually, of course, by stepping behind a pillar.

We are all doing this or are just skipping her.
I doubt there's many builds that can afk tank her stuff.
Even with 7k life and 85% lightning resist, her beam will cut right through you.

It is still 10% gear check, because...
a) with good gear (50k+ DpS) you can just murder her before she even starts.
With instant leech or other insane mechanics you can facetank her.
But "dodging skill checks with gear" is a common thing that cannot really be countered.
If you're overgeared, challenges will most likely disappear. (Like cruel Dominus, he's hard when you're 50, but he's a useless idiot when you come back at 80 with Lvl80 appropriate gear)

b) you still obviously need the usual max out resists and a solid life pool. Like in most content in PoE. You fail at "solid life pool" for whatever reasons. Your choice.

And no, you don't need "very specific gear". What gives you that idea?
All you need is life+resists on your stuff, again: as usual.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Oct 26, 2014, 5:48:53 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info