just beat Shock And Horror

as a mostly-self-found player, I use the Masters' services a lot more than you think.
it's a lot more evident on my lower level chars than my higher ones.
I do however, have limits. namely my very limited amount of orbs.
made a thread at the time of FM patch notes, saying Masters should craft with new ingredients obtained from their missions or in another risk/reward way, instead of existing trade-core orbs.
GGG didn't listen.

nonetheless, I'm happy with the FM. they are indeed an improvement.

but they are not, nor will they ever be, a "solution" to the fact this game doesn't have gear progression as a design priority.
it has "trade".

post-FM is a better time for self-found than pre-FM, but saying "oh now all gear problems are solved" is the latest form of forum strawman.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
"
johnKeys wrote:

That's because you don't pay to win :P

There's plenty of orbs all over the place, you just need a bit more stash space to do the recipes / hoard orbs in their low & flexible form (alt->jew->fus), etc..

eg. I generated about 120 regals to gamble on Harbingers, just with the 75+ recipe, no trading. Ofc you also need P2W tabs to hoard high ilvl bases, save potential good outcomes, you might need later or sell...

P2W and life becomes easier :)

(brought to you by Weekend Stash Sales inc.)
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
johnKeys wrote:
as a mostly-self-found player, I use the Masters' services a lot more than you think.
it's a lot more evident on my lower level chars than my higher ones.
made a thread at the time of FM patch notes, saying Masters should craft with new ingredients obtained from their missions or in another risk/reward way, instead of existing trade-core orbs.
GGG didn't listen.

nonetheless, I'm happy with the FM. they are indeed an improvement.

but they are not, nor will they ever be, a "solution" to the fact this game doesn't have gear progression as a design priority.
it has "trade".

post-FM is a better time for self-found than pre-FM, but saying "oh now all gear problems are solved" is the latest form of forum strawman.

If your solo self found and you don't trade what else are you using the orbs for, your going to have to farm them anyway. 10 augs, 4 alchs or 2 blessed orbs make your gear extra amazing isn't hard to craft. Just because you have a "very very limited" amount of orbs doesn't mean magically it's hard to get them. I have stacks of augs, alchs and blessed without trading them at all since if I do trade I only deal in chaos/exalts/fusings.

Throw 4 alch to craft +30% lighting resist on your gear, bam max resists.

If somehow 4 alch is hard to get I have no idea how doing missions that may take the same amount of time to get 4 alchs or farm other stuff that doesn't do anything that will take the same amount of time anyway is a better solution.

Forsaken master fixed that self found players been asking for all of the time, ways to directly get what they want on their gear on a easily farmable scale.

Last edited by RagnarokChu on Oct 28, 2014, 4:45:37 AM
"
MIIKKAAA wrote:
Shock and Horror is completely fine.

Yea, especially that there is not much point in wasting time to loot this boss, it's just 73 lvl.
Anticipation slowly dissipates...
I don't get why people are still surprised by these threads.

Look, most people here adapt to the game. There are some axioms in any game that you should kinda accept. If you're playing a monkey island game, you have to accept there will be illogical, nonsensical puzzle that will cause you to pull your hair in frustration. If you play poe you have to cap your resists and have decent HP pool in endgame.

The problem is johnkeys doesn't adapt to the game. Its not like he cant adapt, but that he doesnt want to when he thinks it against his beliefs. He rather plays his version of the game, ie what he thinks the game should be like. That's great, and speaks to Poe's diversity. However, playing while ignoring axioms is tough, and one shouldn't complain when shit doesn't go their way. You choose to play with constraints, shit will be tough. Unfortunately johnkeys makes a new thread every time the game he thinks he's supposed to be playing differs with the game he is actually playing.

Playing maps undercapped with 3k life is already ignoring axioms enough. Most people will stop reading there. Then playing a manual dodge build in a desync game is basically asking for some kinky pain in the ass. But OK, it can somehow work. It will work half decent, and half other times you'll be screwed. You have to accept this. The dodging thing will also not go well against jungle valley boss, especially if you have crappy chaos resists. Necropolis merveil will tell you to 'dodge this' in her second form.

The idea that a manual dodge build SHOULD work in any and every arpg game is pretty absurd. But it shouldn't be surprising to people familiar with ops history.
"
Peterlerock wrote:
"
johnKeys wrote:
"
BazzV5 wrote:
So how much HP does that combo give you?

about 3k.
which believe it or not is enough for a SC fast evasive Bow Ranger, which very rarely gets hit at all.

I believe it's enough "most of the time".

However it is still a glass cannon build.
And there are things in this game that rape glass cannons. Which is a good thing.
(btw: why lioneye's glare on a crit build?)

I like Shock and Horror.
If you can't beat her or are afraid to get raped, you don't have to enter her room.
She's one of the tougher bosses, and she's pretty brutal for her level, yes.

But would the game really be better if all bosses were 100% harmless idiots and pushovers like the bosses in...
Crypt, Dried Lake, Dunes, Dungeon, Grotto, Overgrown Ruin, Tropical Island, Arsenal, Mountain Ledge, Sewer, Thicket, Wharf, Ghetto, Reef, Mud Geyser, Reef, Spider Lair, Springs, Vaal Pyramid, Overgrown Ruins, Catacomb, Promenade, Shore, Tunnel, Bog, Coves, Pier, Underground Sea, Arachnid Nest, Dry Woods, Strand, Mine, Waste Pool, Canyon, Cells, Dry Peninsula, Gorge, Underground River, Bazaar, Plateau, Academy, Precinct, Shipyard?

(I excluded every boss that can at least attempt a "oneshot" or do some crazy magic stuff that can overwhelm a player or uses some weird mechanics. The bosses in this list are pretty much like rare monsters without mods, but with a little more hp)

The rest:
There's only a couple of map bosses in this game that actually do crazy stuff that can quickly kill you (like Shock and Horror, Crematorium, the "far shot" thing, the chaos DoT of the zombies ads in Spider forest, the fat spider and her friends in Jungle Valley, Museum's Trio).
There's a couple that are quite hard, but you should be used to fighting them (like Piety, Maze, Courtyard, Merveil).
All depending on your build and game sense, of course.

Let the hard ones in, and let them try to kill you.
There's some players who actually like being challenged.
I'd take off ghetto, perpetus bear traps hurt at low levels. And dungeon for sure. Brutus was tough before, but now its a brutal (yes pun) fight in narrow space. Even worse if you meet him in like a lvl74 zana dungeon.

Plus dune zombies and cells voidbearer can do some damage if you're not aware of what they do
"
grepman wrote:
I don't get why people are still surprised by these threads.

Look, most people here adapt to the game. There are some axioms in any game that you should kinda accept. If you're playing a monkey island game, you have to accept there will be illogical, nonsensical puzzle that will cause you to pull your hair in frustration. If you play poe you have to cap your resists and have decent HP pool in endgame.

The problem is johnkeys doesn't adapt to the game. Its not like he cant adapt, but that he doesnt want to when he thinks it against his beliefs. He rather plays his version of the game, ie what he thinks the game should be like. That's great, and speaks to Poe's diversity. However, playing while ignoring axioms is tough, and one shouldn't complain when shit doesn't go their way. You choose to play with constraints, shit will be tough. Unfortunately johnkeys makes a new thread every time the game he thinks he's supposed to be playing differs with the game he is actually playing.

Playing maps undercapped with 3k life is already ignoring axioms enough. Most people will stop reading there. Then playing a manual dodge build in a desync game is basically asking for some kinky pain in the ass. But OK, it can somehow work. It will work half decent, and half other times you'll be screwed. You have to accept this. The dodging thing will also not go well against jungle valley boss, especially if you have crappy chaos resists. Necropolis merveil will tell you to 'dodge this' in her second form.

The idea that a manual dodge build SHOULD work in any and every arpg game is pretty absurd. But it shouldn't be surprising to people familiar with ops history.

this is actually a pretty accurate analysis, grepman.
a couple inconsistencies since I actually beat both Jungle Valley spider and Necropolis Merveil, despite my "toaster" and dire need for "kinky pain in the ass" :)
yes, I am indeed playing a version of the game I want to play.

but no, I'm by no means one to reject any kind of change. I have a degree of flexibility and adaptivity - just not with things I consider "red lines". like basic ARPG principles, many of which are brutally violated in this game, while almost equally many are implemented with a true spark of genius. which means GGG can make stuff happen when they want to.

I'd like to see this game change for the better. still do. despite the fact fewer people agree with me now than back in Open Beta.
no, it doesn't mean the problems I present were somehow miraculously solved and I'm "whining for the sake of whining". it means too many people who started playing this great-but-not-yet-legendary game, either quit or just stopped posting because all feedback is constantly and consistently ignored by GGG.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
It takes1.5 sec for the beam (which you cannot dodge) to kill me with 80% lightning res, MoM, 3.5k life. If you hide behind the pillars its pretty sure that those op totems or lightning storm will kill you. Those 3 things together always one shot you.
The boss is a fucking piece of garbage.
^DoT damage (= the beam) is not effected by MoM as far as i know.

So your actually taking it on 3000hp, not 3000hp + mana pool.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
bvnl wrote:
It takes1.5 sec for the beam (which you cannot dodge) to kill me with 80% lightning res, MoM, 3.5k life. If you hide behind the pillars its pretty sure that those op totems or lightning storm will kill you. Those 3 things together always one shot you.
The boss is a fucking piece of garbage.

You're not supposed to hide behind the pillar and wait for the totems to kill you.

You are supposed to get a pillar between S&H and you for just a split second, so the beam is interrupted. She simply stops casting it once you cut line of sight.

Then she has a 20s cooldown on that beam, which means: you have 20 seconds time to fight her.

3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info