diablo II < path of exile?

As Im sure this topic has been done before (probably several times) it does have some things I think some people dont bring into the discussion in comparing the two games and the possibilities of each.

Ill just do my observations on comparisons in list style...

- Cost

PoE is free with micro transactions on now stat altering items (see cosmetic pets,outfits etc).

D3 will be $60 and then they are going to try to nickel and dime people with ah sale commissions and also microtransations.

Winner to ME: PoE. I know alot of people dont mind the AH thing D3 is doing but for me it just stinks of greed on Blizzards part. Plus I have 2 other gamers in my house and 3 copies of D3 vs. 3 copies of PoE....well yeah.

- Innovation

PoE has some really innovative mechanics and ideas going on. The whole skill gems thing is pretty neat. Its fascinating that you could possibly find a skill that nobody else you know has and be unique with a spell or something. I like the depth of options on the passive skills as well. Also while not finalized the barter system setup instead of gold stacking is pretty unique as well.

D3 has some neat things going on like the new way they are moving the story along to keep the action moving. Also they recently changed how skill will work as you will unlock them at levels but only be able to equip so many at one time (ala Guildwars so not really innovative).

Winner to ME: PoE really is trying to do some things different. This bodes well for down the line as I think they will be more willing to think outside the box and add even more new features where as Blizzard will really just add more content.

- Graphics and Polish

Ill keep this quick. D3 will probably win this overal lfrom most of what I have seen. Ive only seen videos of both games. Have not played either or gotten on beta for either. But know the amount of resources Blizzard has you know they will have some pretty unique things going on and it will look really good.

- Value

For me this is a big one. I played Diablo 1 like crazy. I had to have played 200 hours on it I bet. I waited for D2 like a rabid dog. Once I got it I liked it but after going through it like twice....I basically had enough. The hacks got out of control etc etc. I prolly only logged 20-30 hours on it which I guess is still good.

When I look at these games I see both have amazing potential to really give you a lot of gaming for your dollar but for some reason I just think I will end up putting more hours into PoE. Just something about the dev interviews I have heard with Chris makes me think they will keep the game more interesting on a quicker turn-around then Blizzard will.

Yeah I will prolly end up getting both (unless I get on PoE beta and just get so hooked I dont see a reason to spend $60 on D3). But like someone else said....I see PoE being the more interesting game to play once you get past the "New game shinny" syndrome.

"
Lmaoboat wrote:

Act 2 looks a little better, but the start of the game doesn't look dark at all to me. I think it takes a little more than some desaturation and dead bodies to create atmosphere. If they want to open strong, they should make it pouring down rain in the middle of the night with nothing but flashes of lightning to see anything outside of your light radius.

Sounds like a good idea to start the game off, maybe they'll take your idea!
"
tekkor wrote:

- Innovation

PoE has some really innovative mechanics and ideas going on. The whole skill gems thing is pretty neat. Its fascinating that you could possibly find a skill that nobody else you know has and be unique with a spell or something. I like the depth of options on the passive skills as well. Also while not finalized the barter system setup instead of gold stacking is pretty unique as well.

D3 has some neat things going on like the new way they are moving the story along to keep the action moving. Also they recently changed how skill will work as you will unlock them at levels but only be able to equip so many at one time (ala Guildwars so not really innovative).

Winner to ME: PoE really is trying to do some things different. This bodes well for down the line as I think they will be more willing to think outside the box and add even more new features where as Blizzard will really just add more content.

Okay, I don't want to sound like a Blizzard fanboy here, but you can't bring up innovation and skill systems without mentioning the rune system. And you said yourself you played D1, the whole skill finding skills completely original. In fact, given that you only have a certain amount of slots that you can switch around at any time, it's also like Guildwars. And you're definitely not doing to be finding a skill nobody else has after the first week or so.
"
Lmaoboat wrote:
"
tekkor wrote:

- Innovation

Okay, I don't want to sound like a Blizzard fanboy here, but you can't bring up innovation and skill systems without mentioning the rune system. And you said yourself you played D1, the whole skill finding skills completely original. In fact, given that you only have a certain amount of slots that you can switch around at any time, it's also like Guildwars. And you're definitely not doing to be finding a skill nobody else has after the first week or so.

Nobody can touch what Diablo and Diablo 2 did for the gaming world. But you have to remember they were made by the now deceased Blizzard North. Blizzard north was a good company, made some unknown games till Diablo, and then sold it.

Blizzard killed them off, and took Diablo from them. Have you seen the first attempt at Diablo 3 from Blizzard North?

http://diablowiki.net/Diablo_III:_Blizzard_North_version

Crazy stuff. Point is: Blizzard is just about money now and fired off just about everyone who was worried about making a good game and now just wants employees that know how to make money.
Last edited by Riney on Sep 19, 2011, 8:31:05 PM
Diablo has become much more main stream...the good thing about this game is they don't have to live by corporate rules and mainstream thinking. From what I can see so far, the graphics aren't limited or censored to the extent D3 will be. Excited about trying this game.
How are the graphics in D3 limited or censored? I don't mean to be critical of your post, but have you seen some of the beta footage? I think the environments are spectacular and many companies could learn a few things from what Blizzard has done with the title.

I think a few ignorant people called it D2 with WoW graphics and everyone else just ran with it. I love PoE as much as the next guy on these forums, but to call D3 limited cracks me up.
D3 has removed pentagrams and crosses etc...the kills don't enough look graphic (in content). None of us are for sure, but seems like D3 will be toned down quite a bit.
"
Riney wrote:
"
Lmaoboat wrote:
"
tekkor wrote:

- Innovation

Nobody can touch what Diablo and Diablo 2 did for the gaming world. But you have to remember they were made by the now deceased Blizzard North. Blizzard north was a good company, made some unknown games till Diablo, and then sold it.

Blizzard killed them off, and took Diablo from them. Have you seen the first attempt at Diablo 3 from Blizzard North?

Crazy stuff. Point is: Blizzard is just about money now and fired off just about everyone who was worried about making a good game and now just wants employees that know how to make money.

The old Diablo 3 looks pretty crappy to be honest. And I don't really think Blizzard North could have done that much of a better job considering glaring flaws in HG:L. And don't even get me started on Torchlight.

"
paladoom wrote:
D3 has removed pentagrams and crosses etc...the kills don't enough look graphic (in content). None of us are for sure, but seems like D3 will be toned down quite a bit.

There's pentagrams in the empty rune slots, a bunch of impaled and dismembered bodies right outside New Tristram, and a guy tossing corpses into a fire nearby. And I don't know what you have to be smoking to think the kills aren't graphic, some exploding enemies leave blood stains on the ground 20 meters in diameter.
Last edited by Lmaoboat on Sep 20, 2011, 1:25:07 AM
"
Riney wrote:
"
Lmaoboat wrote:
"
tekkor wrote:

- Innovation

Without Blizzard Entertainment there wouldn't be diablo as We know it now. Diablo 1 was turn based dungeon crawler from isometric view till Blizzart Entertainment bought condor and changed whole project.

Also Diablo 3 was planned in Blizzard north as MMO game.. would like to see how would you react on that.

I like work of Blizzard North..but I also see without True Blizzard, everything around Diablo would be in much worse state.
It's pretty hard to compare D3 with PoE, since D3 only has about 2 hours of beta gameplay available, and that lacks a lotta mid- and high-range game elements.

PoE, on the other hand, is still under development and lacks the polish I expect it will have when completed. To call it repetitive, for example, is silly; we only have the two acts, and many of the little things, like additional npc gossip, for example, will be late in coming, if I have any understanding of the devs' priorities.

I expect D3 to be way more popular simply due to the strength of the franchise. But those who are exposed to PoE are also gonna love it, and the innovations it incorporates.

Atmospherically, PoE wins hands down, in my opinion. Not because of color palette or anything like that, but because D3 constantly disrupts immersion with checkpoint and achievements announcements ("Mighty Blow! 6 monsters killed with one blow!"). That, alone, would drive me bonkers.

At any rate, most of us will end up playing both, and enjoying each for different reasons. If GGG had millions of bucks and ten+ years to spend, they could probably give D3 a run for its money. As it is, they are doing pretty gorram well with this sweet, li'l gem of a game. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info