GGG Please Figure out how to stop Boosting (screenshots included)

"
Flab wrote:
You simply can't have monsters do increased damage, player defenses don't combine into effectively one thing like offenses.

IMO ideally party scaling would simply be based on the amount of monsters and nothing else, but this is probably not practical, at the very least not without rebalancing many things and dropping the base amount of monsters significantly, still needs other stuff and is probably not an option.

thats why i said - help each other - it means help each other tank,figure out strategies,stack auras and whatnot and the reward would be 96% chance of drop for normal mobs - high risk high reward

but i know why nobody would ever agree - because then you wouldnt be able to spread and kill mobs yourself while enjoying healthy 250% drop increase - ita all about being lazy to figure out strategies or cooperation - why would you want that when you can have mobs marching in front of you dieing in two hits
some of my IGNs:

EKDDtemplar/DualTotemSparkfotm/jesusbestjewever/EverhardDick/SilSol/SilSol_eight/SilSol_seven/
SilSol_ten/FiretemplarwithAA/JesusFacebreaker/SilSol_three/SilSol_two/grumpycatbestgodever
"
Stretch163 wrote:

You looked over the data so you have access to everything i did then ?

Yes, we all do.

DDT is right. He has many more advantages over you than you are willing to admit. The boosting issue just happens to be the one everyone focuses on, and it's a minor enough bonus that he'll still beat the rest of us even after it's taken away. Why?

Illustrate this point. Mechanics thread, effects of grouping on experience:

"
Malice wrote:

The multiplier for XP while in a party is players share (Level+10)^2.71 divided by the total of all players shares. For example, if a level 10 player was partied with a level 30 player:

(math omitted, it's a bit long)

The player also suffers a penalty to XP if they are too far above or below the monster's level. There is a safe level range where no penalty is applied, which is equal to three, plus one for every sixteen complete player levels. Any additional level difference in excess of this safe range is called the Effective Difference.

The formula then applied is:
((PlayerLevel +5)^1.5) / ((PlayerLevel+5+(EffectiveDifference^2.5))^1.5)

Now compare some other XP graphs in the same level range.
You were getting roughly 1.2mil xp/hr at level 79,
DDT was getting 5.2mil/hr.
Now let's look at prozon, who didn't boost either. He was getting 1.3mil/hr.

I also heard it said that prozon used his best maps too greedily in this race. Not sure on the truth of that, but there are VODs that would tell us.

The point is there are a lot of implications here you haven't even considered. DDT understands every implication of the above two formulas, and uses that understanding towards a strategy for when to use which maps. I actually posted an outline of it here, but I'll let you think it through instead.

How does he get that 5mil xp/hr? There's more than one thing. Take away boosting and I'll still see DDT able to burst up to 5mil xp/hr at that level. Not for quite as long, so his sustained xp/hr will be lower. But a good understanding of when to use which maps will give him a tangible edge that you'll only ever be able to overcome by investing much more time than he does.

Boosting exists because of the way that first paragraph is worded. Changing the wording to eliminate boosting won't change DDT's basic approach. He'll still come up with the best efficient method of spending maps and gain a massive edge on everyone else.

What we need is a drug feed. DDT must be fed 10mg of prozac every 12 hr to be allowed an active account. That'd make things fair. What you want is a game where you can just put in hours and play however you want to top the ladder. Fact is someone with a strategy based on understanding of the mechanics is always going to have the edge.

When boosting is taken out, people will form tactical alliances of several players. Those players will mostly solo, but when it comes time for the high level map push they'll group up. The players doing this will win races together. Is that fair? Absolutely. Trust me, the situation will change, and there will be a different issue to complain about. Or you can come up with and execute a strategy yourself.

Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Nov 6, 2012, 9:45:24 AM
Dashtun,

Look I love partying with people I actually know and just playing the game as I want to. Couldn't give a shit about playing efficiently 99% of the time.

I'm just saying you can't increase monster damage because player health and defenses just don't combine, you are separate targets, with damage you can both target the same monster, the reverse doesn't apply. The weakest mobs would obliterate everything but the tankiest and most evasive characters.
"
Dashtun wrote:
thats why i said - help each other - it means help each other tank,figure out strategies,stack auras and whatnot and the reward would be 96% chance of drop for normal mobs - high risk high reward

but i know why nobody would ever agree - because then you wouldnt be able to spread and kill mobs yourself while enjoying healthy 250% drop increase - ita all about being lazy to figure out strategies or cooperation - why would you want that when you can have mobs marching in front of you dieing in two hits

You must not have played D3. Bliz thought it made sense to scale damage with health and what it did is force everyone to play solo because at the time inferno was already insane solo, with the added life and damage no one was able to kill anything quickly also all of the mobs did incredible amounts of damage. I don't think merciless is to the psychotic level that inferno was at that time, but if you scale damage it will really hinder people wanting to play in parties.

In theory scaling both makes sense, in practice it's awful. It only works out if playing solo is a joke or the damage is scaled to a level that is almost not even worth it.
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
Some amplifying information. When are you doing your 65+ maps?

Here's a graph of your xp multiplier versus mob level at player level = 79.

If you get a 68 map, how long do you keep it, and what mods do you roll it for?
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Last edited by Zakaluka on Nov 6, 2012, 10:26:51 AM
"
Flab wrote:
Dashtun,

Look I love partying with people I actually know and just playing the game as I want to. Couldn't give a shit about playing efficiently 99% of the time.

I'm just saying you can't increase monster damage because player health and defenses just don't combine, you are separate targets, with damage you can both target the same monster, the reverse doesn't apply. The weakest mobs would obliterate everything but the tankiest and most evasive characters.

im not saying it would be easy hence insane drop rate

the number can be debatable - it doesnt have to be exactly 100% more dmg - i understand that majority of players are pussies too afraid of dieing and loosing exp (which can be prevented by more exp per player than solo)

the point of such insanity would be to get rid of boosters and players who like to spread in parties (and they esentially play solo with higher drop rate) because current party is a joke - its waaay to easy,its easier than solo...

and i believe that with such hardcore scaling,players would actually enjoy partying a lot more because they would have to cooperate to achieve great drop rate,i always say ppl who want to party will party at any circumstances,what you have now is ppl making party then spread out - is that how it is supposed to be?

some of my IGNs:

EKDDtemplar/DualTotemSparkfotm/jesusbestjewever/EverhardDick/SilSol/SilSol_eight/SilSol_seven/
SilSol_ten/FiretemplarwithAA/JesusFacebreaker/SilSol_three/SilSol_two/grumpycatbestgodever
"
Dashtun wrote:

You're missing the point.

Nobody will group. EVER.

It's not debatable, this will 100% happen if they do as you suggest. You need to go back in time and experience d3 inferno one week after launch to understand.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Last edited by Zakaluka on Nov 6, 2012, 10:17:22 AM
Yeah but this is why most of the good suggestions imo only scales when players are within some given range of each other. Scaling damage really opens up a massive set of issues that you can't fundamentally counter without dropping base damage.
"
Zakaluka wrote:
"
Dashtun wrote:

You're missing the point.

Nobody will group. EVER.

It's not debatable, this will 100% happen if they do as you suggest. You need to go back in time and experience d3 inferno one week after launch.

i would happily try this out

if i got oneshoted by little monkey then we could debate that its maybe too insane and adjust scaling accordingly
some of my IGNs:

You really are missing the point, assuming a player is able to solo as something that is a good balance of offense and defense in solo play, if you now put him in a 3 man party, even with just 10% damage increase per party member, it will be _worse_ than that player losing 30% of all of his total defenses (due to scaling issues and status effects), you just forced him to be 30% tankier to maintain an offense/defense balance, unbalancing it towards a defensive build.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info