Diablo 4 announces that there will be a campaign skip ... its time for POE to do the same

I would love a campaign skip or alternate leveling method like early maps or Delve after your first League character. I'm also one of those who barely creates one character per league because campaign is just a massive snoozefest. But I don't actually believe GGG will make such radical change in the foreseeable future.

Everyone knows that the real beauty of PoE is in its massive endgame. So it seems strange to me that GGG tries gatekeeping players from the 'good' part of the game with this dragged out and boring campaign. It just seems counterproductive for the business.

I for one would definitely play a League longer if I could create new characters and experiment with different builds with ease without spending 5-8 hours on a campaign when I only play videogames for 2-3 hours a day.
Campaign is hurdling part of the race. Also a warmup.

But if you finish the campaign at least once per season, would be a good idea to skip it for the next characters.
Also the skip to be unlocked in week 3 or something like that.
My 2 cents to the topic:
Once you have finished the story with 1 char, you can skip the campaign for new chars generated in the same league. you start then with a lvl 68 char with all campaign quests finished, without equipment. skill/respec points are already gained, gems need to be bought (no quest rewards here). After starting the character you have to pick an ascendancy class (merci lab finished afterwards) and make the bandit choice.

This would mean that the race for lvl 100 at league start is still working (even if you switch from campaign char to mapping char, you still need to gather equip for the latter one), but players that want to play multiple chars doesn't need to do the acts over and over again.
You say Prison Cell, I hear 'Holiday'.
"
ThngsLikeThis wrote:
"
Khallis wrote:
and there will be an alternate way to level.

Yeah, but you will still have to level.

If there is another way or not.. people will complain after a while that the different way of levelling get's boring and tedious... mark my words.. gamers are lazy nowadays ;)

While this might be true, I hate playing the campaign. I'd really like to not do it on every league start.

What I like is "leveling" the Atlas and if I was able to do that from level 1 I'd really enjoy PoE more. So it's not really a matter of boreness.

Speaking of which then they should implement an even bigger endgame and/or change it accordingly of course.. since a vast portion of the endgame relies on the Atlas progression.

I don't know why but I feel a more sense of progression while leveling the Atlas other than leveling with my character while doing the campaign.

P.S. On a related note while I dislike doing the campaign I HATE doing the labyrinth. That thing should be completely an optional feature and the ascendancies should be associated with other mechanics.
Nothing new. Just like D3 adventure mode.
There is a 0% chance, with the main draw of PoE 4.0 being a new campaign, that GGG would reverse course on allowing an alternative to leveling. It's just not happneing.

This isn't a tech issue, as we have seen with ledge or delve events, it's simply a player hostile philosophy centered on playtime. It's not a new conversation either.

It's a poor decison imo, from multiple viewpoints. It's an accessibility issue for some players, it's an untenable time sink for others (especially if you made a mistake or don't like a build), and it's counter-intuitive to GGG's belief that maps are the best part of the game. The campaign doesn't teach players much. At least nothing that couldn't be reproduced in an alternate method.

D4 is giving players options. This is almost always the best way. Let the players decide (after a full completion) how they want to enjoy the game.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Chris knows and has stated it's too long, I expect the new campaign length to come in around act7-8 current act's in length.

It needs to act as a tutorial so ppl don't make reddit threads complaining at maps when they have a massive hole in their defence and get "oneshot" at maps.

and the respec'ing complaint, your given like 20 respecs just in quests from the campaign and can easily buy another 20 more by white maps? I don't see how you can need so many more respec points.

Keep the D3+ mechanics in the nu-diablo games.
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

It's a poor decison imo, from multiple viewpoints. It's an accessibility issue for some players, it's an untenable time sink for others (especially if you made a mistake or don't like a build), and it's counter-intuitive to GGG's belief that maps are the best part of the game. The campaign doesn't teach players much. At least nothing that couldn't be reproduced in an alternate method.

D4 is giving players options. This is almost always the best way. Let the players decide (after a full completion) how they want to enjoy the game.

Yeah but there's no alternative to actual levelling in D4, just the way you level. Skipping the campaign quests is not the same as skipping the levelling process entirely, you still have to level doing open world events, side quests, dungeons etc.
"
RandallPOE wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Yeah but there's no alternative to actual levelling in D4, just the way you level. Skipping the campaign quests is not the same as skipping the levelling process entirely, you still have to level doing open world events, side quests, dungeons etc.

Who said anything about not leveling?
"
superbomb1967 wrote:
"
RandallPOE wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Who said anything about not leveling?

The whole post I quoted is shitting on GGG for forcing people to relevel is it not?

Several other people in the thread mention they just want to start at 68 on a new character or don't have time for the 5-6 hours it takes to relevel.
Last edited by RandallPOE on Apr 26, 2023, 11:11:54 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info