Tried PoE after D4's first beta weekend

"
Deadandlivin wrote:

If you prefer theorycrafting and grinding to craete a character that "breaks the game", PoE is better suited for you. That's in essence what PoE is about, creating a build that eventually becomes so powerful that you're an unkillable Aura of death that oneshots everything within 2 screens of your character.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

No.

Maybe for some elite 1%.

For most, POE is an exercise in opaque design leading to endless frustration.

POE may be the best ARPG out there. Diablo never did much for me. POE still sucks in many baffling ways.
"
Lord_Bakaxan wrote:
"
Deadandlivin wrote:

If you prefer theorycrafting and grinding to craete a character that "breaks the game", PoE is better suited for you. That's in essence what PoE is about, creating a build that eventually becomes so powerful that you're an unkillable Aura of death that oneshots everything within 2 screens of your character.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

No.

Maybe for some elite 1%.

POE may be the best ARPG out there. Diablo never did much for me. POE still sucks in many baffling ways.

This is why majority of PoE players quit the game after a couple of days.
It's a game designed for very elitist players.
Most other players quit the game early or lose interest very quickly because it's too grindy.
"
Deadandlivin wrote:
"
Lord_Bakaxan wrote:
"
Deadandlivin wrote:

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

No.

Maybe for some elite 1%.

This is why majority of PoE players quit the game after a couple of days.
It's a game designed for very elitist players.
Most other players quit the game early or lose interest very quickly because it's too grindy.

Or maybe people lose interest because game isn't interesting.
"
feydh wrote:

The actual gameplay is terrible. Its barely over clicker heroes. It might as well be an AFK mobile game once your build is decent. You just speed through maps, gaining incremental amounts of resources to use in trade.

The main draw of PoE is the "depth" of builds, which honestly get so blown out of proportion by PoE fans its crazy. This basically boils down to some new player ruining their character with all the trap nodes on the tree, generally being too squishy and dying, and maybe then they look a build up and then they get to feel smart and press 1 button to kill entire screens, while vacuuming up tiny amounts of currency until they are blue in the face, and people think they are playing Chess now, mixed with Quake. The gameplay is so easy once you just look a build up its done. Theres no real need for all this crazy depth; your spamming 1 button ad nauseum, map after map, and thats the gameplay. And 100s of builds work for this. Depth is an illusion.

But thats still the actual draw of the game, because if we measure PoE by actual gameplay, it doesnt compare at all even to D3, much less D4. Much less any game. Its the equivalent of Vampire Survivors in gameplay depth. The majority of your time is spent in PoB or wooping tabs in trade, while you play lawnmower afk simulator mowing down mobs that are no more than speed bumps.

There is a reason a "shallow" game like D3 or even D4 can have millions of players while PoE remains with a fraction of that even when its the top dog and thats because the gameplay of those games is top notch, while the gameplay of PoE sucks. Lets just compare running through Act 1 PoE, to Merviel, to D3 and D4's Act 1 beta. Which one actually plays better? Thats why the vast majority of people who try PoE dont even make it to maps, and cant get through the 10 acts campaign. It sucks, thats why.

But I do love PoE, but listening to people wax poetic like they are playing Quake Chess and millions of people just LOOOOVE it is off-putting. But I guess thats what you get on a fan-biased forum.
Last edited by Destructodave on Mar 28, 2023, 9:03:32 AM
"
Destructodave wrote:
"
feydh wrote:

The actual gameplay is terrible. Its barely over clicker heroes. It might as well be an AFK mobile game once your build is decent. You just speed through maps, gaining incremental amounts of resources to use in trade.

The main draw of PoE is the "depth" of builds, which honestly get so blown out of proportion by PoE fans its crazy. This basically boils down to some new player ruining their character with all the trap nodes on the tree, generally being too squishy and dying, and maybe then they look a build up and then they get to feel smart and press 1 button to kill entire screens, while vacuuming up tiny amounts of currency until they are blue in the face, and people think they are playing Chess now, mixed with Quake. The gameplay is so easy once you just look a build up its done. Theres no real need for all this crazy depth; your spamming 1 button ad nauseum, map after map, and thats the gameplay. And 100s of builds work for this. Depth is an illusion.

But thats still the actual draw of the game, because if we measure PoE by actual gameplay, it doesnt compare at all even to D3, much less D4. Much less any game. Its the equivalent of Vampire Survivors in gameplay depth. The majority of your time is spent in PoB or wooping tabs in trade, while you play lawnmower afk simulator mowing down mobs that are no more than speed bumps.

There is a reason a "shallow" game like D3 or even D4 can have millions of players while PoE remains with a fraction of that even when its the top dog and thats because the gameplay of those games is top notch, while the gameplay of PoE sucks. Lets just compare running through Act 1 PoE, to Merviel, to D3 and D4's Act 1 beta. Which one actually plays better? Thats why the vast majority of people who try PoE dont even make it to maps, and cant get through the 10 acts campaign. It sucks, thats why.

But I do love PoE, but listening to people wax poetic like they are playing Quake Chess and millions of people just LOOOOVE it is off-putting. But I guess thats what you get on a fan-biased forum.
mush mouth
-Official Forum Dweller-
-I started the hoho movement-
-Exploit Early - Exploit Often-
-Moderators are absurd and OP-
Hoho
😹😹😹😹😹
I do not and will not use TFT.
Gaming Granny :D
🐢🐢🐢🪲🪲🪲
"
Destructodave wrote:
"
feydh wrote:

At top tier levels, PoE gameplay is quite similar to Vampire Survivors (which is a great game). Imho when you progress in PoE, the game changes from action RPG to arcade game, arcade RPG.
"
Destructodave wrote:
"
feydh wrote:

Harsh but largely true.

I like POE and I have played it exclusively as my ARPG of choice for the last 7 years. I went in deep with this game literally and whilst there is significant amount of theory crafting involved; the inescapable fact is that

This is a one-button spam fest at the end game. It is like the Devs saw Frozen Orb spamming in D2C and had that as their end goal.

Cooldown skills are looked down with disdain on these forum boards. Once auras are on simply go in spam the main 6 link ftw. Yet many posters in this forum take on an elitist mindset describing other ARPG's as casuals. Once setup POE is actually incredibly easy gameplay wise.
Last edited by DAKKONx on Mar 28, 2023, 9:38:12 AM
"
Destructodave wrote:
"
feydh wrote:

Alot of words from someone who hasn't even experienced the story versions of the current endgame and who has never even touched Maven.

Also where is that crazy gameplay depth in Diablo 4??

Here is Alkaizers D4 WW build: https://youtu.be/uh8QHvetuuo?t=24
Thats what he is going to do from 25 all the way up to lvl 100.

How is that any different than what you do in PoE? I would argue Alk had more stuff to manage and do on his Bone Shatter this league.

Want to see some necro gameplay, which is basically just Bloodmist?
Last edited by Prevy on Mar 28, 2023, 9:50:20 AM
This one is interesting. Some experienced aRPG players said barb is slow, weak defences and small damage. Alki’s barbi is quite opposite to this. Maybe D4 isn’t that simple. Anyway, any complexity can be overcame. And as for gameplay, D4 seems pretty different from PoE.
Last edited by feydh on Mar 28, 2023, 10:03:54 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info