Streamers are all gushing over D4 - what am I missing? It seems extremely shallow compared to POE

"
Phrazz wrote:
If one developer is hellbent on creating more competition than needed, it might be more of a hassle for some

To be fair, Blizzard / D4 has zero responsibility to place nice with PoE or worry about it. Like zero incentive to play along. There is no way PoE or PoE2 can "hurt" D4, but D4 could absolutely swallow PoE leagues if they wanted. (Providing D4 isn't a total shitshow which I suppose is possible)
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
To be fair, Blizzard / D4 has zero responsibility to place nice with PoE or worry about it. Like zero incentive to play along. There is no way PoE or PoE2 can "hurt" D4, but D4 could absolutely swallow PoE leagues if they wanted. (Providing D4 isn't a total shitshow which I suppose is possible)

I agree. But I think they both could benefit from "playing along".
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

I agree. But I think they both could benefit from "playing along".

I'll bite. What could D4 benefit from by "playing along" with PoE?
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Lets say D4 will steal X players from PoE. If leagues "alternate", they may get X + everyone "done" with the PoE league. We all know a lot of players are done with the league after a few weeks - and actively searching for another game to play. That probably goes both ways - at least after the third or fourth D4 league.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
but D4 could absolutely swallow PoE leagues if they wanted. (Providing D4 isn't a total shitshow which I suppose is possible)

D4 isn't going to be a total shitshow unless we somehow get transported to a parallel universe where it's developed by Wolcen Studios rather than Blizzard. But if it's just a bit meh or even pretty good it's not like everyone who currently plays POE is going drop it to play D4 even if both their leagues started on the same day. For all the talk of how many copies D3 sold and how popular it still is to this day POE leagues managed to do just fine regardless, D4 isn't going to change that because there will always be people who prefer POE for whatever reason.
Last edited by RandallPOE on Mar 22, 2023, 6:12:06 PM
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Lets say D4 will steal X players from PoE. If leagues "alternate", they may get X + everyone "done" with the PoE league. We all know a lot of players are done with the league after a few weeks - and actively searching for another game to play. That probably goes both ways - at least after the third or fourth D4 league.

Even if true, imo the amounts wouldn't matter much to D4 on scale. Plus the monetization is totally different. D4 gets all their money upfront (for the most part minus whatever the cash shop is). I'm not sure they care much about 20 or 30k PoE players (that have already paid for D4) if 2 million are actively playing D4 anyways. Or at least not enough to alter their development patterns based on what PoE does. But I guess we will see. December might be the first example of leagues and seasons colliding.

- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Mar 22, 2023, 6:25:22 PM
"
Nevzat wrote:
POE reigns supreme and i'm glad tbh.
How so? i would loved for poe to finally have a worthy rival. so i could finally have an other arpg to play and potentially have ggg on their toes and shit out better content to draw more players back.
sady D4 isn't going to make poe take better shit out it's asshole for us to play with.
"Now all that's left is for you getting on your knees."
if you know thanks me:) i'm dying to find out x'D
"
satanttin wrote:
"
Nevzat wrote:
How so? i would loved for poe to finally have a worthy rival. so i could finally have an other arpg to play and potentially have ggg on their toes and shit out better content to draw more players back.
sady D4 isn't going to make poe take better shit out it's asshole for us to play with.

Lot of people tend to think ggg folk are sitting with thumbs up their asses but they are not.

PoE2 got announced 3y ago. Since then they've been developing current PoE leagues and expansions and PoE2 simultaneously while being in lockdowns half the time and employing new people from all over the world.

Did they produce all 10/10 content in that time? No. But they made few really good leagues, great expansion, atlas passive tree, lots of QoL stuff, experiment, got shit on, bounced back, organizing Exilecon 2 and finishing PoE2.

You have to give them some slack. They are very much on toes.
Last edited by TorsteinTheFallen on Mar 22, 2023, 8:22:34 PM
"
"
satanttin wrote:
"
Nevzat wrote:

Lot of people tend to think ggg folk are sitting with thumbs up their asses but they are not.

PoE2 got announced 3y ago. Since then they've been developing current PoE leagues and expansions and PoE2 simultaneously while being in lockdowns half the time and employing new people from all over the world.

Did they produce all 10/10 content in that time? No. But they made few really good leagues, great expansion, atlas passive tree, lots of QoL stuff, experiment, got shit on, bounced back, organizing Exilecon 2 and finishing PoE2.

You have to give them some slack. They are very much on toes.

PoE's expansion was announced in Nov of 2019. And it was clear it was in development a decent time prior to that so they could showcase it at Exilecon. It will end up being well over 5 years of development time, for AN EXPANSION. Not a new game, not a new engine, not a new endgame, it's a large expansion.

I honestly think there is a high probability the most common reaction to PoE 4.0 will be "Wait, 5 years (or more), in development, and this is all we got? WTF?!"

If you don't think that's what is driving them right now, you are being obtuse. I'm sure there is plenty of anxiety while Millions are playing a D4 beta. I hope for their own sake, they are Grinding like their company namesake, because there is work to be done for sure.
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
PoE's expansion was announced in Nov of 2019. And it was clear it was in development a decent time prior to that so they could showcase it at Exilecon. It will end up being well over 5 years of development time, for AN EXPANSION. Not a new game, not a new engine, not a new endgame, it's a large expansion.

I honestly think there is a high probability the most common reaction to PoE 4.0 will be "Wait, 5 years (or more), in development, and this is all we got? WTF?!"

If you don't think that's what is driving them right now, you are being obtuse. I'm sure there is plenty of anxiety while Millions are playing a D4 beta. I hope for their own sake, they are Grinding like their company namesake, because there is work to be done for sure.

It will be a new engine.

As for POE 4.0 being released later, I bet they wanted to releease after D4.

That said I dont think D4 is the main competition for POE, it is the likes of Last Epoch and the new ARPGs from ex blizzard devs. D4 is for people who want a simplistic game and there is nothing wrong with that. All the streamers said as much.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info