Ruthless NDA is lifted, and feedback is largely positive so far!

"
Scarletsword wrote:
"
superbomb1967 wrote:
Am I the only one who finds it comical that an NDA is needed for a new game mode that has LESS than any other mode?

/boggle

It's very likely that the NDA was used to prevent a certain type of people ("game journalists" and the loud whiny crowed) that aren't going to play that mode in the first place to take it out of context because that's the most common usage for an NDA in gaming.

It's true, a lot of NDAs are to protect alphas from bad press. You see it in other games, especially MMOs which can look very rusty when they're 4 or 5 years form release, people are actually stupid enough to look at placeholder assets, mockups, and alpha footage and go

"
wut the hell, this game looks like shit, dead game
"
AbilityPoints wrote:
people have reached maps? well i've lost interest, i thought it was going to be hard and mapping wouldn't be reached easily.

Yes high yellow maps,early reds from what i saw. The line "the campaign is the endgame" from the Ruthless announcement aged like milk.

People will reach red maps after one week ,maybe two, on builds that dont need gear, mule gems and farm gear for their main and make it feel like standard 2.0.

It is what i expected it to be. A slower start but once you get above a certain gear threshold it is the same old same old.
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
Last edited by gandhar0 on Nov 23, 2022, 7:01:20 PM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

It's just so confusing to me, in a very generic sense about how opinions are formed, and emotional responses cultivated. Its frankly very troubling how easily the pot gets stirred, and seemingly without question and voluntarily.

So here's an anecdote from today in support of bewilderment at this phenomenon: on the Last Epoch subreddit, some buyers of the game are saying that the game is Dead on Arrival because they 'missed their multiplayer launch window'. You see, according to them, LE NEEDED to release now, while D4 isn't on the market and PoE has had some...uh...balance turbulence. Since LE missed that window, they and their friends are unhyped and 'out' (nevermind that they're still checking the sub daily and are clearly 'in' as soon as the product launches). They're also concerned streamers are 'out' on the game b/c all streamers will be playing D4, WoW, and PoE2.

A second anecdote: we saw how important GGG thought it was to ensure 'hype' around things when they paid large sums to streamers and let them cut in login queue line. Clearly whether we like it or not, the trend of 'my streamer is having fun, therefore I'm having fun' (and by proxy, replace 'having fun' with 'spending money' to get to the important bits) is real, widespread, and important.

As to why? I'd say let the academics figure it out, but they're old. I don't think they have a prayer of understanding the reality of the landscape as it exists.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say it's because we're evolutionarily lazy motherfuckers. Both psychologically and biologically. What's the least amount of work our systems can do? Let's do that. We know the internet-at-our-fingertips has had consequences for childhood and adolescent development and cognition, some positives, some negatives.

Most folks have outsourced their fact finding to whatever their internet browser news puts on their home page, and/or whatever the almighty google SEO algorithms produce (or have been rigged to produce). With the twitch cult followings, we're seeing in real time what it looks like to outsource our opinion formation. It has never been this easy to download an opinion before. But now that we can, people fall into it - its in our genes to do so. Less work that way.

It's a brave new world out there to be sure.
Last edited by innervation on Nov 23, 2022, 5:27:28 PM
"
AbilityPoints wrote:
people have reached maps? well i've lost interest, i thought it was going to be hard and mapping wouldn't be reached easily.
I don't get the obsession players have with wanting it to be impossibly. hard to get to later parts of the game. If you want that, this is not the genre for you, you need to look into gacha games and play purely F2P which are very good at preventing you from reaching the later parts of even the basic main story.
"
innervation wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

It's just so confusing to me, in a very generic sense about how opinions are formed, and emotional responses cultivated. Its frankly very troubling how easily the pot gets stirred, and seemingly without question and voluntarily.

So here's an anecdote from today in support of bewilderment at this phenomenon: on the Last Epoch subreddit, some buyers of the game are saying that the game is Dead on Arrival because they 'missed their multiplayer launch window'. You see, according to them, LE NEEDED to release now, while D4 isn't on the market and PoE has had some...uh...balance turbulence. Since LE missed that window, they and their friends are unhyped and 'out' (nevermind that they're still checking the sub daily and are clearly 'in' as soon as the product launches). They're also concerned streamers are 'out' on the game b/c all streamers will be playing D4, WoW, and PoE2.

A second anecdote: we saw how important GGG thought it was to ensure 'hype' around things when they paid large sums to streamers and let them cut in login queue line. Clearly whether we like it or not, the trend of 'my streamer is having fun, therefore I'm having fun' (and by proxy, replace 'having fun' with 'spending money' to get to the important bits) is real, widespread, and important.

As to why? I'd say let the academics figure it out, but they're old. I don't think they have a prayer of understanding the reality of the landscape as it exists.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say it's because we're evolutionarily lazy motherfuckers. Both psychologically and biologically. What's the least amount of work our systems can do? Let's do that. We know the internet-at-our-fingertips has had consequences for childhood and adolescent development and cognition, some positives, some negatives.

Most folks have outsourced their fact finding to whatever their internet browser news puts on their home page, and/or whatever the almighty google SEO algorithms produce (or have been rigged to produce). With the twitch cult followings, we're seeing in real time what it looks like to outsource our opinion formation. It has never been this easy to download an opinion before. But now that we can, people fall into it - its in our genes to do so. Less work that way.

It's a brave new world out there to be sure.

I reckon it's all games, but the ARPG genre and playerbase in particular default to google the "most OP fast build". I reckon 90% of the playerbase copy/paste RF, DD, ToxRain, Seismic, ExplBaliista i.e they don't really play or engage with the gameplay mechanics.

It makes sense to pander to streamers as a studio. Again the playerbase just copy what Twitch streamer 1, 2, 3 says (They're the proFeSsIonals!) - case in point Kalandra league didn't deserve anywhere near the backlash it received.
Obviously the feedback is going to be positive.
Alot of selection bias. Only people who really wanted to and were interested in playing Ruthless got invited to test it out.
"
AbilityPoints wrote:

If you were one of the players that reached maps in ~6 hours in normal PoE it'll take you around 10 hours to reach maps in ruthless.

It's not really difficult, just have to understand what to do and what to abuse.
For example, even without playing I can tell that minions will be super strong in ruthless because they can share support gems with eachother.

For example, if you find a dps increase support gem like added lightning dmg or whatever you can just 4 link it with Zombies, Skellies and Absolution or something like that and run three times efficiency since you can have all minions up at the same time.

People have already done Iron man challenges in regular PoE(No gear on a 1-link) and it's not really hard. Just takes time since monsters act more like damage sponges rather than difficulty barriers.
"
AmpegV4 wrote:

I reckon it's all games, but the ARPG genre and playerbase in particular default to google the "most OP fast build". I reckon 90% of the playerbase copy/paste RF, DD, ToxRain, Seismic, ExplBaliista i.e they don't really play or engage with the gameplay mechanics.

It makes sense to pander to streamers as a studio. Again the playerbase just copy what Twitch streamer 1, 2, 3 says (They're the proFeSsIonals!) - case in point Kalandra league didn't deserve anywhere near the backlash it received.

I would note there is a substantial difference between trusting the professional tytykiller when he says 'such and such is the best leveling skill' and parroting a streamer opinion on a matter of subjective taste like 'this game is fun'.
I am surprised, i read before that people dont know the solution to what they want and yet, feedback of people wanting this mod is largely positive. Maybe, just maybe, people know what they want and can recognize that in advance without even having experience it exactly just by reading the stuff. hum. crazy stuff.
And maybe people will stop this lame argument, one can only dream !
"
Deadandlivin wrote:
Obviously the feedback is going to be positive.
Alot of selection bias. Only people who really wanted to and were interested in playing Ruthless got invited to test it out.

That's precisely the feedback that I care about. From the players the entire mode is geared towards. I could give two squats about what the average joe thinks about an extremely niche, harder game mode.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info