[3.17] Double Impending Doom

"
Reviir wrote:
quick question, got the gloves and a 5 link setup for the curses it's trigerring the hexes and debufs but theres no damge output. am not sure why

You need to use 2 curses in vixens for it to work
You need to have the curses linked to Spell Cascade and Increased area of effect
You need to have enough mana to cast all of the curses together (about 100-150 mana)
The monsters that are hit are the ones in the middle circle

I am guessing that you are lacking the needed mana for the casts since that is the main problem of this build.
"
MozartKaktus wrote:
Hello, first of all, thanks for this build.

I change the skill tree with some friends.
It's a non-crit version of your build.

Changes :
Spoiler
Skill tree :
-Remove : ES, Iron Will, Wicked ward, Blast Radius and crit.
-Add : Jewel socket and maximun mana

Gem and Aura :
-Remove : Crit gems, Determination, Banner and Arcane Surge on Impending Doom.
-Add : Zealotery, Controlled Destruction on each spell and Arcane Surge on Hexblast

https://pastebin.com/gVWactJx

Thank you for the variation. Looks nice on first glance but here are some pointers.

1. I see you are still using my old staff - change it for one with spell damage, cast speed, and +3 passives
2. Too many points invested in mana regeneration - you can get more damage/surviv instead - we don't really need to cast all of the time thanks to how doom works (but the build might run more smoothly this way so don't mind me if that was your intention).
3. If you insist on mana regen at least take Mental rapidity - will help a lot with the damage.

The upper limit of your build is about 1.5M dps - it is not a low number but compared to a crit build it falls behind. Still it will run a lot smoother on maps so if mapping is your target it will do the job perfectly.

"
irrega wrote:
"
Reviir wrote:
quick question, got the gloves and a 5 link setup for the curses it's trigerring the hexes and debufs but theres no damge output. am not sure why

You need to use 2 curses in vixens for it to work
You need to have the curses linked to Spell Cascade and Increased area of effect
You need to have enough mana to cast all of the curses together (about 100-150 mana)
The monsters that are hit are the ones in the middle circle

I am guessing that you are lacking the needed mana for the casts since that is the main problem of this build.

Oh I see, got it to work, I had flame dash in one of the slots, since it was in the slot for the gears. Thanks!
I feel like without jumping around + Hexblast, I'm standing still too long or stuck in animation from casting so often and die. Is this why you recommend cast speed on the Cane of Kulemak?
"
celerycactus wrote:
I feel like without jumping around + Hexblast, I'm standing still too long or stuck in animation from casting so often and die. Is this why you recommend cast speed on the Cane of Kulemak?

Hexblast:
you should not need hexblast at all. It is just a small damage boost (early on) while making the build clunky.

Cane of Kulemak with +3 to support gems, 55 cast speed, 180 spell power, and arcane surge mechanic

Our build does not benefit from +1 to all skill gems mechanic since our main damage is not considered a skill. But it is considered a support gem.
The +3 to support gems gives us +3 to our skill but it also gives +3 to empower support - making it +6. This combination more than doubles our damage output. It is worth even using a non-leveled Empower gem into the staff.

About the Cast speed on the staff: It is just better than anything else you can get instead of it. It makes the build run really smooth. Since the curses are already very fast to cast it makes them almost instant and spamming them is actually fun. The only downside of the cast speed is that you need a good mana potion to sustain the skill spam.

The cast speed on the staff also comes with an arcane surge mechanic - it's like half of a support gem. We can get rid of the arcane surge support and run with another support gem for damage.
Last edited by irrega on Feb 21, 2022, 5:18:38 PM
I understand now, thank you for the explanation!

My current cane has +3 level/+11 quality to socketed support gems, 192% spell damage, 73% chance to double damage while focused, 71% increased mana regen.

What do you recommend for gem links since I don't have cast speed nor arcane surge on the cane?
Last edited by celerycactus on Feb 22, 2022, 4:42:20 PM
I'm looking for a new build and this looks interesting.

I have got one question though: Why are you using empower? Empower increases the level of active skill gems, and as far as I know impending doom isn't an active skill gem. It shouldn't get any levels from empower.

Edit: I checked it in standard: linked despair with Impending doom and a 4-empower. Hovering Despair showed +3 from empower; Hovering over Impending doom doesn't show +3.

Last edited by Tortunga on Feb 23, 2022, 3:24:12 AM
"
Tortunga wrote:
I'm looking for a new build and this looks interesting.

I have got one question though: Why are you using empower? Empower increases the level of active skill gems, and as far as I know impending doom isn't an active skill gem. It shouldn't get any levels from empower.

Edit: I checked it in standard: linked despair with Impending doom and a 4-empower. Hovering Despair showed +3 from empower; Hovering over Impending doom doesn't show +3.

Now that you mentioned it - I went and checked my damage with and without Empower support - you are totally correct Empower does nothing for us. I have no idea why I decided it will work.

Thanks for noticing!
Just a follow up:

Empower 100% doesn't work. I respected a character in standard, and put Despair, Impending doom, and a 4-empower in a magna eclipse (that shield has +2 to all socketed gems). It gives a 6-empower, and according to PoB impending doom should do roughly double damage with it.

Tested it on a white map boss; let it stack to max doom before detonating. Damage was the same between having empower in the shield and without.

I played around with the rest of your set-up a bit to see how it feels, and surprisingly felt pretty good. Spell cascade linked to the curses feels great for clearing. I personally dropped spell echo in the main set-up since the repeat didnt seem needed for clearing and being locked in place for the repeat cast sucks.

For single target any combo of cascade and echo just felt worse than not running either of them. Its a bit annoying since clearing feels much better with spell cascade linked to the curses. For now i settled on just using spell cascade and switching it for an high level arcane for tougher bosses. Hopefully the end dps is enough for normal map bosses without the need to switch to arcane surge.

As for your gear/tree: Cane really loses a lot of value with empower not working, so i dropped it. Since other gem levels modifiers doesn't work either, I opted for the classic double Void battery Power charge stacking synergy.

I opted as well dropping Shavs and going more life/ES hybrid. Still low life, but instead of Shavs using Petrified blood. I don't see much benefit going full LL with Shavs, since there aren't a lot of auras that actually help your damage a lot. Without Shavs you can run Vitality, Clarity, Defiance banner, and precision on your life (reserved roughly 40% of your life with that), and then Grace or Determination/zealotry/Petrified blood on your mana. Leaves you with roughly 140-150 mana left, hopefully thats enough to cast everything.

My planned build with gear i currently have in SSF ended up like this, with 20/20 gems, 10 withered stacks and 15 Doom stacks:

https://pobb.in/O38-gMYGyqZZ

Average hit of 837k, with my current cast speed gives roughly 3M dps.

Big upgrades would be:
- 21/20 impending doom
- Militant fate with the 3% more spell damage per power charge in the templar gem slot.
- Auls Envy uprising. Adds a lot of flat chaos damage to it
"
Tortunga wrote:
Just a follow up:

Empower 100% doesn't work. I respected a character in standard, and put Despair, Impending doom, and a 4-empower in a magna eclipse (that shield has +2 to all socketed gems). It gives a 6-empower, and according to PoB impending doom should do roughly double damage with it.

Thanks - my testing showed the same - Path of building shows that it will get tons of damage but ingame the damage stays the same with emoiwer

"
Tortunga wrote:

I played around with the rest of your set-up a bit to see how it feels, and surprisingly felt pretty good. Spell cascade linked to the curses feels great for clearing. I personally dropped spell echo in the main set-up since the repeat didnt seem needed for clearing and being locked in place for the repeat cast sucks.

spell cascade is used for the second doom blast - without it the damage on bosses is quite lower

"
Tortunga wrote:

As for your gear/tree: Cane really loses a lot of value with empower not working, so i dropped it. Since other gem levels modifiers doesn't work either, I opted for the classic double Void battery Power charge stacking synergy.

The cane still gives us +3 to the level of Impending doom so I am not sure if its a nice trade.

At the end of the season I will test how it works with Voipd Battery and power charge stacking

"
Tortunga wrote:

I opted as well dropping Shavs and going more life/ES hybrid. Still low life, but instead of Shavs using Petrified blood. I don't see much benefit going full LL with Shavs, since there aren't a lot of auras that actually help your damage a lot. Without Shavs you can run Vitality, Clarity, Defiance banner, and precision on your life (reserved roughly 40% of your life with that), and then Grace or Determination/zealotry/Petrified blood on your mana. Leaves you with roughly 140-150 mana left, hopefully thats enough to cast everything.

My planned build with gear i currently have in SSF ended up like this, with 20/20 gems, 10 withered stacks and 15 Doom stacks:

https://pobb.in/O38-gMYGyqZZ

Average hit of 837k, with my current cast speed gives roughly 3M dps.

Big upgrades would be:
- 21/20 impending doom
- Militant fate with the 3% more spell damage per power charge in the templar gem slot.
- Auls Envy uprising. Adds a lot of flat chaos damage to it

I will check your build thoroughly later on and see what I can steal from it. With your permission ofc.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info