Death penalty - a thorough suggestion

Again, I am more than welcoming to people who bring discussion to the table, I have even corrected mistakes in my original post which were brought up by people who had something against a part of my suggestion which brought up a valid concern. I am happy to read people's comments and ideas regarding this so please keep them coming.
Last edited by Pow3rFr34K on Oct 19, 2021, 4:26:09 AM
"
Август wrote:
With death pentalty you have a goal.
Everyone must have a goal in their life.

I prefer not to have goals in entertainment like games, it quickly turns into another job this way. As for level 100, its okay for it to be grindy as it is okay for the death penalty to be as it is (speaking of solo aspect of it of course, as doing chalupa/5-way rotations is a complete joke). If i'll ever hate myself enough to consider grinding 96->100 on some character, i'll probably do it in standard, with all these beachheads, stones and whatnot accumulated over the years.
"Path of Exile's engine is currently modern, lean and fast." - Chris Wilson, September 19th, 2019
OP is wrong to assume that you'd play exactly the same way if there was no death penalty. Just as it is wrong to say that removing the exp penalty would make it harder to reach 100...how does that make any sense?

Getting to 100 is not hard if that is your goal. If your build requires the passives from lvl 90-100 to be functional in harder content, then you shouldn't be doing that harder content until you get the passives/gear you need. It's as simple as that.

The exp penalty is a check on your build viability, as well as a check on your playstyle. Portals do not function as a death penalty, in fact they serve as a death MITIGATION by allowing you to re-enter a map and collect any loot you dropped in a too-difficult map, getting something out of it to make up for your inability to complete the map or tackle the boss.

Posts like these are so incredibly myopic, and the arguments are always one sided. If you hate the exp penalty, nothing anyone else says will change that. The same can be said for those who continuously try and try to explain why removing the exp penalty won't work.

Also, to compare the exp penalty to hardcore death is just plain dumb. When this starts to happen in an argument, I personally feel like the argument has lost all merit. They are two incredibly different penalties for a reason. Hardcore is the ultimate punishment, softcore exp loss is the LEAST POSSIBLE punishment, while still providing a deterrent to blunt force playstyle.
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Oct 19, 2021, 7:06:29 AM
"
jsuslak313 wrote:
OP is wrong to assume that you'd play exactly the same way if there was no death penalty. Just as it is wrong to say that removing the exp penalty would make it harder to reach 100...how does that make any sense?

Getting to 100 is not hard if that is your goal. If your build requires the passives from lvl 90-100 to be functional in harder content, then you shouldn't be doing that harder content until you get the passives/gear you need. It's as simple as that.

The exp penalty is a check on your build viability, as well as a check on your playstyle. Portals do not function as a death penalty, in fact they serve as a death MITIGATION by allowing you to re-enter a map and collect any loot you dropped in a too-difficult map, getting something out of it to make up for your inability to complete the map or tackle the boss.

Posts like these are so incredibly myopic, and the arguments are always one sided. If you hate the exp penalty, nothing anyone else says will change that. The same can be said for those who continuously try and try to explain why removing the exp penalty won't work.

Also, to compare the exp penalty to hardcore death is just plain dumb. When this starts to happen in an argument, I personally feel like the argument has lost all merit. They are two incredibly different penalties for a reason. Hardcore is the ultimate punishment, softcore exp loss is the LEAST POSSIBLE punishment, while still providing a deterrent to blunt force playstyle.

Exactly. It's boring as hell to explain it to people. If you want level 100 earn it like everyone else. It's difficult for a damn reason. Making it easier for people removes the challenge and the whole idea of what PoE actually is.

Again I say to the OP please stop making boring essays like you are. I've heard it all before, it's just myopic whining. "I can't do level 100 because X" "Doing level 100 is too difficult because X" I've done it and so have thousands and thousands of other players, you can too.
"
Август wrote:
With death pentalty you have a goal.
Everyone must have a goal in their life.

People must have a goal in life... PoE is just a silly game, who say otherwise has no life.
"
Grauthrim wrote:
"
jsuslak313 wrote:

Exactly. It's boring as hell to explain it to people. If you want level 100 earn it like everyone else. It's difficult for a damn reason. Making it easier for people removes the challenge and the whole idea of what PoE actually is.

Again I say to the OP please stop making boring essays like you are. I've heard it all before, it's just myopic whining. "I can't do level 100 because X" "Doing level 100 is too difficult because X" I've done it and so have thousands and thousands of other players, you can too.

It would honestly help if you read the whole thing. I am not saying "I can't do level 100 because of x" or that it's too difficult. I said it was boring. That's it. Point at a single sentence which says "getting to 100 is difficult" and I will eat my words.

As to how it's going to become harder - I proposed exp locking past a certain point so that if you want to get a higher level, you need to do harder content. I am literally asking for the removal of grinding T10 maps to get ANY experience past level 90. Again, if you had read what was proposed instead of trusting your gut reaction and going for confirmation bias in the comments, you'd realize that I am asking for leveling to be made, quite frankly, harder. Removing the death penalty will not make it so that leveling will become easier with the proposed changes. Removing the death penalty will remove unneeded frustration when dying.

Since you've quoted the other person, I might as well address them in this comment: what is wrong with a person playing a more glass cannony build if that's what is fun for them?. They most likely won't be able to do any of the actually challenging content (Shaper, Sirus, Maven, the list goes on) and most likely won't survive a T16 map. I've heard people say "but what about someone going full glass cannon and using HH?" to which my response is - you have HH, that's why your build is broken.

"
Just as it is wrong to say that removing the exp penalty would make it harder to reach 100...how does that make any sense?

Sorry but I have to address this twice in the same post - I do not propose to only remove the death penalty. I have literally written up a 3 step plan in order to ensure that, by removing the death penalty, leveling higher than 90, not up to 100 but higher than 90, will become harder, nay, IMPOSSIBLE for people who do not wish to engage with content harder than a t10 map.

In conclusion: if you're going to criticize a post, criticize what is written in it and not what you assume is written in it. Doing the latter makes you look like someone who either cannot comprehend what is written or, in your cases, it makes you look like people who would rather smear all over the post without taking into account what is actually written in it.
Last edited by Pow3rFr34K on Oct 19, 2021, 8:48:44 AM
GuyZ i have found fiX for death penalty its called JUggernaut mega armor divine flesh tank with OVER 9000 LIFE!
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Oct 19, 2021, 11:08:59 AM
"
Pow3rFr34K wrote:
"
Grauthrim wrote:
"
jsuslak313 wrote:

It would honestly help if you read the whole thing. I am not saying "I can't do level 100 because of x" or that it's too difficult. I said it was boring. That's it. Point at a single sentence which says "getting to 100 is difficult" and I will eat my words.

As to how it's going to become harder - I proposed exp locking past a certain point so that if you want to get a higher level, you need to do harder content. I am literally asking for the removal of grinding T10 maps to get ANY experience past level 90. Again, if you had read what was proposed instead of trusting your gut reaction and going for confirmation bias in the comments, you'd realize that I am asking for leveling to be made, quite frankly, harder. Removing the death penalty will not make it so that leveling will become easier with the proposed changes. Removing the death penalty will remove unneeded frustration when dying.

Since you've quoted the other person, I might as well address them in this comment: what is wrong with a person playing a more glass cannony build if that's what is fun for them?. They most likely won't be able to do any of the actually challenging content (Shaper, Sirus, Maven, the list goes on) and most likely won't survive a T16 map. I've heard people say "but what about someone going full glass cannon and using HH?" to which my response is - you have HH, that's why your build is broken.

"
Just as it is wrong to say that removing the exp penalty would make it harder to reach 100...how does that make any sense?

Sorry but I have to address this twice in the same post - I do not propose to only remove the death penalty. I have literally written up a 3 step plan in order to ensure that, by removing the death penalty, leveling higher than 90, not up to 100 but higher than 90, will become harder, nay, IMPOSSIBLE for people who do not wish to engage with content harder than a t10 map.

In conclusion: if you're going to criticize a post, criticize what is written in it and not what you assume is written in it. Doing the latter makes you look like someone who either cannot comprehend what is written or, in your cases, it makes you look like people who would rather smear all over the post without taking into account what is actually written in it.

Heard it all before man. Literally a thousand times have I seen posts like yours with variations on what they think is the best way to address a total non issue. It's there for a reason, it stops players advancing purposely. If you want no death penalty learn how to avoid it, it's that easy imo. I just see your suggestions as pointless. There isn't an issue to be solved.

"
Grauthrim wrote:

Heard it all before man. Literally a thousand times have I seen posts like yours with variations on what they think is the best way to address a total non issue. It's there for a reason, it stops players advancing purposely. If you want no death penalty learn how to avoid it, it's that easy imo. I just see your suggestions as pointless. There isn't an issue to be solved.

What you dont comprehend is the simple truth that the death penalty in the poe form causes far more damage to the game than it does good. You might not care yourself, but a lot of people do and far more have left the game already with that being one of the big annoyances.

So you can tell yourself all you want it doesn't really matter, but it only shows you lack of understanding. It's not complicated at all.

Facts.

If you open your mind and listen to the data the world is imputting you, for the last 7 years its very rare there is not at least 1 post or more on the front page of feedback about death penalty. That should tell you a lot, if you are listening to the data of life.

It is likely that death penalty is the single most complained about aspect of poe - at least i can't think of anything more complained about. It is not for no reason. Because how it is, makes many players feel bad. Real bad.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Oct 19, 2021, 11:39:31 AM
"
Crackmonster wrote:
"
Grauthrim wrote:

What you dont comprehend is the simple truth that the death penalty in the poe form causes far more damage to the game than it does good. You might not care yourself, but a lot of people do and far more have left the game already with that being one of the big annoyances.

So you can tell yourself all you want it doesn't really matter, but it only shows you lack of understanding. It's not complicated at all.

Facts.

If you open your mind and listen to the data the world is imputting you, for the last 7 years its very rare there is not at least 1 post or more on the front page of feedback about death penalty. That should tell you a lot, if you are listening to the data of life.

It is likely that death penalty is the single most complained about aspect of poe - at least i can't think of anything more complained about. It is not for no reason. Because how it is, makes many players feel bad. Real bad.

Your opinion isn't facts. It's an opinion. The death penalty exists for a reason. It removes 99% of the shit tier builds from circulation. Literally creating a build sink. If you can't think up a build that can get to level 100 or push yourself to do it, get better at the game. Learn more about PoE.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info