Death penalty - a thorough suggestion

"
The death penalty is literally punishing players not due to their lack of skill but due to their IRL setup.

Regarding that, i'd rather prefer the game to have a valid frakkin' pause button in solo mode, like any other 21st-century game out there, hehe. I have enough moments when i need to drop that keyboard and react quickly in the next couple seconds, so i'm at least not touching hardcore because of that. And no, some crappy crutches like Holy Logout Macro are not the solution.
Death penalty? It's fine, as a filthy SSF scrub i'm used to say complete some reflect map for a price of a half exp bar due to it being the only one of that name i have.
"Path of Exile's engine is currently modern, lean and fast." - Chris Wilson, September 19th, 2019
"
Grauthrim wrote:
If PoE is boring to you, why are you here complaining about it? Wanting it to be changed. If a game is boring, why bother with it. Go play something else. Or just get a life already. I don't find this game boring at all.

the problem with people like you is always the same
you automatically think we hate the game and say it is boring because we deslike one mechanic and in your opinion we should leave it then
this makes no sense at all did you left every game where you didnt like 1 single mechanic? i doubt it you kept playing despite some minor problems
and same do i and many others
only because i dislike 1 thing doesnt mean i dislike the whole game
lol

and if you are able to read you'd notice that this is the "feedback & suggestions" subforum
people here give feedback about what they like and dont like
and i dont know why we shouldnt do such thing ...
"There are Penalties in the Game, no one's complaining about them"
Chris Wilson Exilecon 2019
Dude... he was literally saying PoE is boring. What are you talking about...
"
Grauthrim wrote:
Dude... he was literally saying PoE is boring. What are you talking about...

im talking about it in general you talk about 1 specific person who said its boring
"
Wladicorist1 wrote:
"
Grauthrim wrote:
If PoE is boring to you, why are you here complaining about it? Wanting it to be changed. If a game is boring, why bother with it. Go play something else. Or just get a life already. I don't find this game boring at all.

the problem with people like you is always the same
you automatically think we hate the game and say it is boring because we deslike one mechanic and in your opinion we should leave it then
this makes no sense at all did you left every game where you didnt like 1 single mechanic? i doubt it you kept playing despite some minor problems
and same do i and many others
only because i dislike 1 thing doesnt mean i dislike the whole game
lol

and if you are able to read you'd notice that this is the "feedback & suggestions" subforum
people here give feedback about what they like and dont like
and i dont know why we shouldnt do such thing ...

Thanks for read and comprehend.
I love PoE concept, gameplay and character building... the skill tree is amazing. But, there are stupid mechanism that makes the whole experience boring and unnecessary time consuming.
"
Fhrek wrote:
Thanks for read and comprehend.
I love PoE concept, gameplay and character building... the skill tree is amazing. But, there are stupid mechanism that makes the whole experience boring and unnecessary time consuming.

there are good arpg's out there and poe is the only arpg that thinks its "hardcore" to be annoying ....

edit: another thread that died because people tend to be silent about such topics hahah :D
Last edited by Wladicorist1 on Oct 25, 2021, 6:09:23 PM
Just wanted to chime in. Found this thread after Googling "PoE level to 93". This post might sound like a rant, but I hope it doesn't. I simply want to motivate finding an alternative to the -10% exp death mechanic by telling my story.

I died twice in a row today, after having resolved to try and finally get my character to level 93. No opening of strongboxes that might spawn mobs that can one-shot. No Vaal side areas that might murder my poor Shadow. No new mechanics that I've skipped over the years, trying to level up my character. Just get to 93. And then worry about level 94.

I love Flicker Strike. As soon as I found that I could build a character that could move that fast, I fell in love with it. I've been trying to "solve the build" since then. I guess that's probably the programmer in me trying to "make it work". I've been trying to make it work for almost 4 years now. I've been stuck at level 92 for over 2 years.

Last week, after logging back on to play after almost a year off, I finally found a hodgepodge of mechanics that might actually make it viable as a level 100 build. Using the legacy items I had accumulated, I found a perfect combo of defense and offense built around Flicker Strike that will survive anything you throw at it. Maybe.

The character is immune to chaos damage. Immune to bleed. Immune to Corrupted Blood. It has high evasion, has some block chance, and I've also taken care to integrate this new mechanic "spell suppression". I've taken care to keep my chance to be stunned as low as I could make it. I've also used the new "auto-use flask" mechanic to trigger a potion that removes the frozen status. I've even adopted "offense is the best defense" by finally getting my DPS past 1 million. But most heartbreakingly, I've switched to Cyclone for clearing mobs to take away the random aspect of Flicker Strike that might kill me. My beloved Flicker Strike is now a backup skill for the boss fights.

I got all the way to 50% exp after killing myself tens of times to come up with this new build. Then I died twice to a freezing mob.

This pretty much happens every year. I have a feeling I will never be motivated to try the new content until I can "solve" this build by getting it to level 100. I dream of killing Sirus and all the other new big bosses, having never seen them (last time I tried I lost all of my exp to Atziri, back when she was the big deal). I feel like I can get there, but man, these random deaths are so very demotivating. I'm almost back to taking another year's hiatus and trying again next year. There must be a different death mechanic that can make the experience better. Maybe even the one the OP painstakingly outlined?
Last edited by hacknslash9 on Mar 8, 2022, 12:06:19 AM
"
hacknslash9 wrote:
. I've been stuck at level 92 for over 2 years.

hello there, reading your post sounds like the "me" of the past. i used to be stuck at level 83-84 for the longest time ever and could not even do maps. to everyone else, my post here is going off topic.

the only way i could grind XP was by doing dock runs. i had like what? 3k life?

i didnt care that i was not as good as others, my build was MY build.

the game evolved as time passed, i understood the game better and found ways to multiply my damage (Path of Building is your friend). various changes made my build better, cluster jewels, well crafted jewels are a god send.

whatever i couldnt fix with gear i supplemented it with jewels.

i forgot exactly when, but i did get into mapping before ascendancy was introduced. i actually broke the 83-84 barrier.

i improved.

by the end of last league (scourge), i have never surpassed level 95. 95 was my max.

during scourge league (or perhaps before that) there was a reddit post about some juggernaut or marauder reaching level 100. it was refreshing to read his take on how he got there where he didnt just "alc and run". he had to avoid a huge amount of content and always rolled his maps. iirc any maps with porcupines would be skipped (gtfo, its really not worth it).

he actually inspired me to push for 100. so that's what i m currently doing. i have not reached the goal yet but i see that i m making progress. i am at level 97 now WITH maybe 30% xp.

i too am like you, i've been trying hard to solve my build and make it work.

my custom build is using all unique equipment (not counting jewels), 2handed, using flicker as a mob clearer and viper strike as a boss killer, so i m quite off meta. i think once i craft a very niche jewel that i want and when i hit 98 i'll try maven/elder shaper. i feel like i'm close to killing them.

when talking about offense being the best defence, ironically i learned this from GGG. when they rekt fortify, i reckoned, if i wasnt able to gain any meaningful fortify effect i might as well go for damage. to my surprise its working well. previously i only could clear 1-2 of the maven invites, now i only have the feared and the elderslayers invite left to clear. being able to survive doesnt mean anything if the battle is prolonged.

that said, the gear i have are a combination of legacy gear as well as stuff i accumulated while playing countless leagues.

a few tips that i have learned that may help you is:

try getting determination and going for armor. a little block is effectively useless. determination was reworked and is really good. personally i lean towards going full armor than evasion so i m using iron reflexes. this synergizes with molten shell, providing "temporary HP" allowing you to somewhat safely perform hit and run bursts of damage.

i RECOMMEND purity of elements. it too has been reworked, it costs more mana reservation now but with the caveat that you're immune to elemental ailments. this is HUGE. you dont need to worry about being frozen/chilled. shock could have contributed to many deaths as it amplifies the damage you take. not being able to be shocked is VERY good. being immune to ignite is good too. this doesnt make you immune to burning ground/burn effects tho (just a headsup).

cluster jewels can be VERY strong and supplement your build.

if you're having issues with resists, using 3 grand spectrum jewels can EASILY fix your resists at the cost of 3 jewel slots. with 3 equiped, each one gives you 21% all resists (63% total). on top of that you can probably buy one from players with an immune to corrupted blood corruption.

personally i have swapped them out for perfect jewels (10% all resist, 7% max life +2 other offensive mods). even if you dont trust the RNG of crafting regular gear, crafting perfect jewels using harvest is not too difficult. one tip i have is buying imperfect jewels that have all res, max life (ES if you're playing ES), 2 offensive stats. usually they're somewhat "cheap" during leagues. use harvest "lucky" craft to keep rerolling them till they're perfect.

you're doing well to use spell suppression. i never really realized this but apparently i died a huge lot of times due to having nothing to mitigate spell damage all these years (beside fortify and max res). having 100% or near 100% spell suppression surprisingly kept me alive for many encounters that normally i would just die to "BS".

a good synergy is to take the spell suppression mastery that grants you crit chance equal to your spell suppression.

i snooped a bit on your profile and saw you have a trickster. poison is a very good way to achieve millions of dps. you need around 4 million take things down at a comfortable speed. if you're playing poison you can use icefang orbit which works defensively by chilling enemies AND giving you a little bit of protection from porcupines.

in poe, speed is king. speed can multiply damage and work defensively too (you attack fast you can hit and run faster).

if you're playing melee especially if you're using a strike skill, attack range and "strikes attack 1 additional enemy" is crucial.

10% xp loss can be daunting. i've been where you've been. i still die even now at 97 and the loss is even greater to me now than it was back then due to the amount of work required to recoup 10%.

what i can say is, 10% xp loss tho big as it is, is a staple of poe. with my current knowledge i would say that removing the 10% xp loss would rob all the level 100s of their accomplishments. it is now easier to reach 100 compared to before. once upon a time when exalts were 25c each, t16 maps were valued at 1 ex each.

fix your build and play safe. do not over extend. if theres no reason to, run blue/magic maps that are safely rolled. if you want to be adventurous, identify a map that you like (favourite map). one with a boss that you're confident that wont have a sudden damage spike and that you can consistantly kill. for example the necromancer boss, or volcano map. use harvest craft on them "life/defenses" to roll safe but more juiced up versions of those maps.

the game has evolved a huge lot. GGG making sirus a fragment based boss means you lose nothing by grinding maps non stop.

running well rolled heists can be a strategy too. if i can reach 97 after being stuck at 95 for years, you probably can break 93.

10% xp loss isnt going anywhere. if you wanna further this discussion you can pm me.

[Removed by Support]
Thanks for that valuable tip on Purity of Elements. I've always poo-pooed the auras that provide resistance and never gave them a second look, since I always believed resistance should be a part of the character's armor. The fact that they now provide other perks has changed my mind a bit.

I have been considering cluster jewels. I have a couple of modifications to The Build in mind that could make use of them, and I'm slowly absorbing the new changes as I play.

On getting armor instead of evasion, unfortunately I'm pretty set on making evasion work as part of my "solution". I've had this aspect of the build since its inception in mind, and there has been too much investment into it mentally and otherwise for me to change that.

I think my last paragraph differentiates our playstyles a bit. I play this game to make *this* ideal build work. I don't necessarily play it to make *my* build work, although that is a nice bonus. Just noting this since at least some of PoE's player base thinks this way too, and that might be a worthy consideration when iterating on game design.

For the tips on playing safe, I will definitely continue to do that. A little more patience and I should get that level up soon. And maybe take that year hiatus after.

"

10% xp loss isnt going anywhere

That would be disappointing, to say the least. I can think of at least one solution off the top of my head that wouldn't discount other people's hard work. I would think the OP's goal is not to diminish the hard work done by other players, but to improve each person's enjoyment of the game, whatever the solution may be. I've been playing this game since the open beta, so I understand exactly what hard work means in this context, and how valuable that is.

Anyway, I posted my first post on the off chance that the dev team is watching at least one of these threads, and might be considering related improvements in the upcoming major revision of the game.

Thanks again for the tips. And thanks to the devs for making a great game.
It's time to make this thread again!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info