Spell Totem

"
Musashi951 wrote:
Recently made a Double Totem character, and found it to be just awful. I specced out of it almost immediately after picking it up. I really loved the Trap sin of Diablo 2. This was clearly not that.

The damage is pitiful. The damage hits are just too big in that you can't realistically apply Shock(I was a spork user - still am just not with totems), killing things took a very long time, and the totem died too easily. I took 1 point out of ancestral bonds and nothing else and was killing at least twice as fast.

The primary reason you would use a Totem to fight is for safety. You can drop a totem in a place a player couldn't realistically survive, or that it would be too unsafe for you to be. The problem with this is a huge majority of the time it either won't fire(at all), get stunlocked by ranged mobs, get frozen, or just instantly die. Even sprinkling Skeletons around did nothing to alleviate this.

It does less damage than a player, even with 2 totems. It generally can't stunlock white mobs, making it worse than a player casting it. It generally can't even handle fighting things that a player would mop up with ease. I died more with Ancestral bonds than without, due to being able to stunlock the enemies I hit. All around spell totem, or ancestral bonds, feel like they need a buff.

So here's my request: When using Ancestral bonds, simply have 20% added damage, (or) casting speed,(or) make totems unstunnable/unfreezable, (or) three totems, or make totems untargetable. Totem by itself is amazing as is. It's especially great for Elemental Equilibrium builds, but as a primary source of damage it fails terribly. Giving less damage, Less survivability, Less status effects, and worst of all: slower clearing speed.

i totally agree with this
Spell totem's shit now that I'm doing 69+ maps.

Until they fix them getting 1shot by any magic damage, then I'm not going to bother.
Do spell totem critical strikes proc surgeon's flasks?
IGN Address PM if I win
Last edited by asianchowder on Mar 6, 2013, 11:28:57 PM
Spell Totem + Molten Shell Problems

This "works", but I'm wondering if the effects are intended:

1. The totem constantly recasts the skill while mobs are in range making it very difficult for the threshold to be activated (though it does happen sometimes)

This combo would be so awesome if it were possible for it to wait to recast the skill until it wore off or triggered.

2. Possible bug? the totem seems to have difficulty acquiring aggro. Most of the time the mobs seem to completely ignore it. If there are ranged mobs around you can use the totem as a shield and get the arrows to hit the totem causing it to activate. If melee mobs get hit by this they may attack the totem. Otherwise you can put down a molten shell totem in a pack of melee mobs while kiting and they will just follow you around ignoring the totem.

Tested with:
* L17 spell totem + L1 molten shell
* Cruel Ledge, Merciless Ledge, Merciless Dark Forest, Merciless Old Fields

I also found another thread talking about the first point.
IGN: Friar
Knight of Guild Medieval http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/545783
Game Mechanics http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11707
Recipe Book http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/15223
Quest Reward List http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36776
"
FriarJon wrote:
2. Possible bug? the totem seems to have difficulty acquiring aggro.

The totem does nothing to *draw* aggro either. Nothing surprising there.
im playing a duel totem build and im currently farming act 3 docks on merc, why is it that my totems die so damm fast when its my only form of dmg?
"
Harnzy wrote:
im playing a duel totem build and im currently farming act 3 docks on merc, why is it that my totems die so damm fast when its my only form of dmg?

Because you can drop them half a screen away from you and proxy all your damage without any risk to yourself?

Quality should probably be totem life though.
"
PyrosEien wrote:
"
Harnzy wrote:

Because you can drop them half a screen away from you and proxy all your damage without any risk to yourself?

Quality should probably be totem life though.

yeah but its the range mobs that just rape the totem from a screen away
"
Harnzy wrote:

I keep hearing about people kicking ass with these; not sure why some here are having such a hard time. Why not cast a Decoy Totem nearby (but not TOO near) the Spork one? Why not use minions to take a lot of damage? If nothing else these things should make the enemies attack something other than your sporker, right?

Surely dual totem requires some strategy to keep things from destroying all your totems on contact, right?

Still, a totem life support gem would be great.

Invited to Beta 2012-03-18 / Supporter since 2012-04-08
On my spell Totem, it's written : "Totem deals 40% less damage".

But if i put a lvl11 arc on it. this is what i see :
- damage of arc lvl11 : 18-341 lightning dmge.
- dmge of arc + totem : 5-102.
It means that my totem deals 70% less damage.

Is it normal, is it a bug ?
I'm not against that. It's just that it's not written and that it's hard to determine if it's working as intended.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info