Spell Totem

"
Tertium_Quid wrote:

This support increases the number of totems every 6 levels. It inherits all of your stats: it has your cast speed and whatever your damage (among other things) would be if you were casting the linked spell from that location, but it has a mana supply independent of your own.

Sounds pretty darn good, only issue it sounds like there is is not knowing what its mana pool is like.
"
It is likely that most of the people who find it will be skilled enough to abuse it or will trade it away to someone who can... I for instance, found it in Chaos and started a new character just so I could try it out.

You are assuming that person has all other possible gems that could interact with it, and tests them all. And that they report what they find. And that doesn't even factor in the huge number of build/gear combos. On my other account, I found a very OP bug with one of the common gems you get from quests, and yet I was the only one that reported it. So ya, there are going to be a lot of game breaking bugs with rare gems come release. Anyway, wrong forum for this, so lets move on.

Thanks for the feedback on the gem, looks interesting.
"
Tertium_Quid wrote:

I was the only Alpha member who found and used this gem from level 31 until Chaos. It is not a quest reward; in fact, I suspect it will be one of the rarest supports.

Which skills did you use this with?

What happens if you attach it to a skill that isn't a standard cast damage skill like auras or molten shell or something?
" ... to let them know the game isn’t going to be very fair from here on out."
- Qarl
I'm imagining that it should work with aura but not sure as no-one has confirmed.

Wouldn't work with Molten shell since thats a defensive ability for yourself.

But I'm curious how it works with Aura's or anything that reserves mana, if it will use something stupid now like 70% of your mana to cast it once =\.

And what happens when you give it well any skill to use like firestorm or something, does it cast it multiple times, on an enemy or on it self, or... Nova's for instance, etc.

Last edited by Neokolzia on May 10, 2012, 2:50:08 AM
The enemy totems in the game shows they can use auras and can cast novas and targeted spells, like spark.

Molten Shell should logically work, but they might have chosen not to let it.

They have stated that totems cast spells as if you yourself had cast it, so, how about Enduring Cry, if you have the Conduit passive, should not the totems Enduring Cry give you charges, hm?
Walking the path since August 20th 2011.
"
Neokolzia wrote:
I'm imagining that it should work with aura but not sure as no-one has confirmed.

Wouldn't work with Molten shell since thats a defensive ability for yourself.

But I'm curious how it works with Aura's or anything that reserves mana, if it will use something stupid now like 70% of your mana to cast it once =\.

And what happens when you give it well any skill to use like firestorm or something, does it cast it multiple times, on an enemy or on it self, or... Nova's for instance, etc.

I am not going to tell you which skill I linked it with, as Mark said it is the best totem (at least at the moment) and that he wanted it tested... I was impressed by it though, it was the most fun I had with a skill since Dominating Blow was introduced into Alpha with a bug that made it have practically unlimited duration.

This support will work with any 'spell', i.e. not things like Viper Strike, Ground Slam, Power Siphon or Poison Arrow (Righteous Fire and Phase Run have been disabled, even though they are spells). The spell linked to the Totem support will continue to be cast any number of times times up until either: there are no enemies around, it is recast, or it runs out of health/duration.

"
They have stated that totems cast spells as if you yourself had cast it, so, how about Enduring Cry, if you have the Conduit passive, should not the totems Enduring Cry give you charges, hm?

No, they will give them to the Totem. The only thing that a spell linked to this support can give you are charges to fill up your flasks. Here is a quote from a post in Alpha from Mark...

"
In a purely Mechanical sense, totems (and traps/mines) are minions. Thematically they are a different kind of thing, so anything described specifically as applying to minions does not apply to them. Do not expect Necromantic Aegis to make your traps more resilient.

Okay, so they are minions, but they cast as if they had all your passives, is what I read somewhere, but I guess that only includes stuff that affect the spell itself.
Anyone tried a lightning warp totem?
"
Drudley wrote:
Okay, so they are minions, but they cast as if they had all your passives, is what I read somewhere, but I guess that only includes stuff that affect the spell itself.

I think he overlooked the Conduit part, he completely ignored that the totem got the charges and just thought you wouldn't get them. You could see if the totem gets non-spell-related passives and extrapolate that it includes conduit. Of course you could always just level up and check.
When I think about it, totems probably do not get your hp passives, so neither will they get conduit.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info