Spell Totem

I just found one, and have immediately discovered the most abusive combo: Phase Run Totem.

... Basically, it casts Phase Run on itself as enemies approach. It's hilarious.

Running auras off of one is doable but a bit impractical - an aura that normally reserves 30% of mana is castable as a totem for ~40% of mana - and lasts 15s. Not sure if its possible, but it feels like Totem ought to interact differently with skills with a % mana cost.

Also discovered (to my dismay) that you can't cast a trap-making totem. I'm not sure I see the logic in this being disallowed - hoping it gets enabled at some point.

The refire rate is *fast* - seems as if it's casting it as frequently as possible at the spell's cast speed. I'm currently mostly trying this on Dex skill gems, since the only class I have at decent level is Ranger, but it seems like it ought to work very well with Int skills - will probably result in me working on a Witch next.
Last edited by dopplex on May 11, 2012, 3:18:07 AM
"
dopplex wrote:
Also discovered (to my dismay) that you can't cast a trap-making totem. I'm not sure I see the logic in this being disallowed - hoping it gets enabled at some point.

Has anyone tried a totem casting totem?
One thing I've noticed with this support - there seems to be a damage reduction applied to the skill that isn't mentioned in the gem tooltip. The tooltip for using a totemed skill will generally show a significantly lower damage than it will when the totem support gem is removed.

I haven't used the gem long enough to have any opinion on this in terms of balance, but it's definitely something that should be reflected in the gem's stats.

Edit: Fireball's tooltip damage is 26-39 (39.5 dps listed) without the Totem support gem. Adding Totem, it changes to 16-23 (23.7 dps). It seems that there's a 40% damage penalty being applied that's invisible (ie, not shown in the Totem gem's tooltip the way that the damage penalty for the multi-projectile gems is).

Last edited by dopplex on May 11, 2012, 2:44:37 PM
"
Kryptonic wrote:
"
dopplex wrote:

Has anyone tried a totem casting totem?

This shouldn't work because the 'Creates a totem which uses this skill' will not stack to have a totem create a totem. That's just a modifier on the skill that it creates a totem instead of casting. It wouldn't stack.
Last edited by Umbraal on May 11, 2012, 3:08:43 PM
"
dopplex wrote:
One thing I've noticed with this support - there seems to be a damage reduction applied to the skill that isn't mentioned in the gem tooltip. The tooltip for using a totemed skill will generally show a significantly lower damage than it will when the totem support gem is removed.

I haven't used the gem long enough to have any opinion on this in terms of balance, but it's definitely something that should be reflected in the gem's stats.

Edit: Fireball's tooltip damage is 26-39 (39.5 dps listed) without the Totem support gem. Adding Totem, it changes to 16-23 (23.7 dps). It seems that there's a 40% damage penalty being applied that's invisible (ie, not shown in the Totem gem's tooltip the way that the damage penalty for the multi-projectile gems is).

I found one last night and tried it with everything I had. Being an ice with nova worked very well but totem doesn't take the effect of your passives only what you have equipped
It does take the effect of your passives. Perhaps it isn't affected by spell damage or something like that.
I was lucky to get one at level 31. I am a ranger and i use it with projectile weakness. However, it always cast on the same monster again and again. It would be awesome if it change target to another monster which is not curse.

Also at level 31 the totem is just too tank for the monsters. And the fact u can just cast it straight away after its dead, its like having a meat shield in front of me. I do not know if at higher level, the totem can tank as much.
No food in fridge... Beer it is.
You can combine Totem with Remote Mine or Trap. You'll be able to summon 5 mines/traps, which each summon one totem, which then uses the linked skill. The result is, quite frankly, horrifically overpowered. 5 totems spamming your favourite damage spell just lay waste to everything.
Has anyone tried a Detonate Dead Totem on massed groups of enemies? Would that work as ultimate corpse denial when fighting a Necromancer?
Ignorance is bliss,
And the opposite is true.
Genius is madness.
=========================================
I was going to try that in a few levels when I could get my hand on a Totem gem, I will tell you how it goes.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info