Freeze Mine

so there is no way to adjust this gem's "no damage" cold damage to be a percentage of foe's hp? so like at lv 1 the skill deals 3% (or 8) of foe's hp worth of freezing +.5% per level, thus maxing out at 10% (or 15) of foe's hp as "damage". it'll be less than that for pvp due to the damage modifier but it'll still be around a second worth of freeze.
They'll have to test it in pvp before they change it for that.

But i mean... its use is mainly to freeze so freeze duration will probably be more important than damage.
there is no actual damage in the first place. it's a "as if delt" so just a statistical calculation of number in the freeze chance formula vs foe's hp. only the devs currently know monster's actual hp amounts so if the scaling is currently enabling players to consistently apply 0.7 seconds of freezing at least (or 0.4 seconds worth if it can be boosted by cold damage passives and spell boosts) then its fine and people are just suffering from the double detonate punishment or cast speed.
I tested this in PVP and have to say:

It's not that good. Most players have high Ice Resist anyways so if I hit them they barley freeze or just for a short time.
Players are better off using beartrap since it locks and deals damage, while freezemine doesn't do any damage. Besides that you can throw traps while you can't mines, and you have to trigger them which isn't very that accurate.

This skill needs some serious consideration. I'm not sure how to make it better, both in PVE and PVP but maybe I have an Idea later or some other person has.
Last edited by KenshiD on Nov 21, 2012, 4:07:36 PM
Well, there would be the option of turning it into a damage spell, dealing no damage but allowing, for example, a cold damage gem to increase freeze time, though that's rather complicated.

What I'd like to see is an inherent cold penetration; maybe have 10 base, then add 1 for every % quality and turn the AOE % into a further levelup bonus?
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:
Well, there would be the option of turning it into a damage spell, dealing no damage but allowing, for example, a cold damage gem to increase freeze time, though that's rather complicated.
This is planned. It still won't deal damage, but will perform damage calculation as though it did, and use the resulting damage to calculate freeze duration.
Nice!
Though that raises the question, shouldn't I just put Cold snap with a remote mine support?
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:
Nice!
Though that raises the question, shouldn't I just put Cold snap with a remote mine support?
That takes two linked slots and doesn't always freeze.
Well, freeze mine with added cold damage takes two slots as well.
Still, I suppose if freeze is that important, it has it's niche, and it never set out to do anything else.
Zaanus:

___
I recently used this skill in a party on on of my characters. I have to say it's quite useful, however I found that because my party member couldn't see them it was hard to lure monsters onto the traps to freeze them. It takes a bit of practice to use this skill accurately, but once I figured out how to do that, I have to say it's actually quite good.

The other spells I was using it with are flicker strike, whirling blades, cold snap, and etherial knives.

So basically flicker into a pack, place a few mines, whirl out, and use etherial knives, and the occasional cold snap. Worked better then I expected when I tried it out :)
Julius's path of exile wine bundle for mac here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/48708/page/1

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info