Freeze Mine

"
Malice wrote:
Does this skill count as a trap?
Mines and traps are similar, and several trap bonuses will also apply to mines. But I can't say for sure without knowing what you mean by "counts as a trap".
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Malice wrote:
Mines and traps are similar, and several trap bonuses will also apply to mines. But I can't say for sure without knowing what you mean by "counts as a trap".
I think he means.. is this skill boosted by the trap passives next to the Shadow? Essentially, is it considered to be trap despite officially being a mine?

If it's not considered a trap for passive purposes, my question is will we see mine based passives?
Last edited by FaceLicker on Jul 12, 2012, 11:15:55 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Malice wrote:

Well, if it "counts as a trap" I would expect that anything that affects traps also affects mines. So trap laying speed, "can set up 1 additional trap", trigger radius affecting target acquisition range, and what have you.

I mean, it's either a trap or it's not. A manually triggered trap perhaps, but a trap nonetheless (or not).
"
Malice wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Malice wrote:

Well, if it "counts as a trap" I would expect that anything that affects traps also affects mines. So trap laying speed, "can set up 1 additional trap", trigger radius affecting target acquisition range, and what have you.

I mean, it's either a trap or it's not. A manually triggered trap perhaps, but a trap nonetheless (or not).
Mechanically, it's a trap in the game engine, which results in some trap stuff applying.
In game terms, mines and traps are different things.
Trap laying speed affects mines. Trap Trigger radius affects mines. The number of mines and the number of traps you have are separate counts - more traps does not give you more mines.

It's not so much that "mines are traps" it's that e.g. what's currently described as "trap laying speed" is actually "trap and mine laying speed". I will make a note to change the stat descriptions to reflect this so it's more obvious.
"
Freezes Enemies As Though Dealing 18 Cold Damage

If I use "Cold to Fire", the mine will do 7 fire damages or nothing?
discord.gg/brNDd44: The french discord
Freeze mine doesn't actually do any damage, so there's not really any damage to convert. It's not even a critical effect freeze, so translating it to fire damage isn't going to necessarily lead to a burn anyway.

I tried linking with a Cold to Fire support and Chance to Ignite anyway. Neither support seems to work, and there was no damage of any type being done.
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Check out the Path of Exile wiki: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com
Thanks mark.

I was playing around with this skill, and it was pretty fun to use. I didn't expect the detonation skill to have a cast time though. Is the detonation skill affected by cast speed mods?
"
Malice wrote:
Thanks mark.

I was playing around with this skill, and it was pretty fun to use. I didn't expect the detonation skill to have a cast time though. Is the detonation skill affected by cast speed mods?
Yes. Detonate Mines is a spell (albeit one you get in a slightly unusual way), and is affected by the things that affect spells (not spell damage - the detonate spell itself does no damage, it just triggers the mines, and they do damage, etc affected by relevant stats)
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jul 15, 2012, 9:09:13 PM
I've been using this skill and found that it does not affect Champs/Elites whatsoever. Is that by design? It makes the skill less desirable if so.

I do find it odd that the trap laying/trip distance passives would apply to the mines, but that the increased number of traps passive would not.

My humble suggestions for this skill:

- Allow the mines to be thrown like traps, but make it a standard distance in front (or around) the character - and change the skill to throw all 5+ mines at once to create a frozen minefield. You could consider balancing this by an increased mana cost, or perhaps requiring the skill to charge up all the mines before being able to be deployed, since it would be powerful.

- Perhaps apply a heavy/significant chilled state to monsters hit by the mines instead of the brief frozen state (you could determine the % of slow and duration by the gem's level).

- Allow it to affect champions and elites.

- Allow the +# traps passive to affect the skill.
If it isn't affecting magic and rare mobs, it's probably due to not "simulating" enough cold damage. Freezing duration depends on the amount of damage done vs maximum health of the target. While Freeze Mine doesn't actually do any damage, the freeze duration still depends on the amount of damage listed.

If the freeze duration was going to be less than 300ms, it doesn't occur at all, which is probably what you're seeing. I bet if you found a magic or rare siren spawn, it would work briefly due to the lower life.
Urist McDwarfy has been happy lately. He admired an exceptional ARPG recently. He took joy in slaughter lately. He has been attacked by the dead recently.
Check out the Path of Exile wiki: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info