Clear speed is best thing about PoE

This post is not ironic or meme, this is my honest opinion and response to clear speed and power creep haters out of my own game experience.

Two days ago I finally reach 100M+ EXP per hour on Level 99 (not Chayula's domain, no prophecy abuse) and it made me realise how much I like clear speed and modern PoE:

I greatly enjoy playing fast and using powerful characters with good defences and decent DPS. Harvest also was a good addition to the game in this league, allowed to make even better gear, took crafting from super rich with thousands of exalts and gave it to middle players.

No way I will play boring and small old PoE when single rare monster took 10 seconds to kill, this would feel terrible and I am sure multiple players (who enjyo the game right now, when we have more than 4200 Level 100 Characters in Ritual, so they don't post on forums) feel the same.

I am waiting for even more power creep in next leagues to make even more powerful and enjoyable characters :^)

And now I want to share some sad truth for haters: there is realistically no way that power creep and clear speed would even be reversed or reduced. Reason is simple, we have to much content which is balanced around current values. Revert it to old Path of Exile's (pre-Ascendancy) speed, and it would break beyond reparable.

Legion is balanced around clear speed, remove it and you will be able to clear 10% of the monolith. Blight is balanced around clear speed (with new Atlas 100% speed passive even more), remove it and you will not be able to defend the tower. T4 Seeds in Harvest taking minutes to kill to most builds even now, reduce power and they'll take hour. Incursions, Delirium are timed mechanics too.

It will require too much rebalance, and for sake of what? To turn off thousands of players who enjoying modern PoE for some phantom chance that some haters would play more (but realistically a lot of them would find another reason to not play, just like Aurastacker haters instantly started to cry about Explosion Chests and Headhunter, bad for them, we just got Elevated Explosion Chests, so they are not going anywhere and Headhunter confirmed to never be nerfed by Chris). It's much better to continue power creep with their declared value of 10% per league and keep loyal modern playerbase. Numbers of players just growing in each league and market is alive even after 5 weeks of Echoes release.

Modern PoE has single problem, namely performance, but this is completely another story.
Last bumped on Feb 26, 2021, 9:09:01 PM
The best thing about POE 'for me' is the deep and very complicate mechanic, literally play the game just for this one thing, i don't really mind playing it faster or slower, but if i got to choose, i will choose slower for sure.
Last edited by Ozxell on Feb 21, 2021, 6:12:34 AM
Glad you have found what you enjoy doing. I prefer to struggle a bit and to have to figure out how to advance rather than simply playing content well below the ability of my character. In SSF, we have to make do with what we find. We have to learn to deal with different situations with different strategies. Sometimes we hit a wall too high for us to climb. To each their own.
A good ARPG should have content that you can fly through like a demigod, but also contents that required some strategy (No dodging boos mechanics are not strategy).

The latter does not exist in PoE. Keep spamming your 1 or 2 attacks until the mobs died.

I always maintain & still do, (until they change) about PoE.

Complex & deep customization & gearing, shallow gameplay. But the train has already left, & people who like PoE or stay to play expect zoom zoom gameplay.

If they change to have mobs presenting challenge & players cannot zoom zoom the game & watch youtube or streaming on ALt screens, they will cry foul.

Same with MP. If they start making MP good, & it's more beneficial to group up, the soloist, which is 80% of the PoE players, will whine.

So PoE will be what it is now, for its good or bad, even in PoE 4.0.

But that is okay, there will be other ARPG that will fuel the desire for people who may want more depth in gameplay or a better MP experience.

PoE (or any game do not need) to do everything.
"
KiadawP wrote:

The latter does not exist in PoE. Keep spamming your 1 or 2 attacks until the mobs died.

The problems isn't that it doesn't exist... it does. They problem is that the strategy you describe can be made to work. Just because a strategy works doesn't invalidate others. If my character adopted your strategy, it would die regularly. I have to know when to spam and when to bug out. When to lick wounds and when to disregard them. When to pop offense potions, and when defense. It can be a lot more dynamic than you describe it.

Of course, I could also design a character strong enough to spam a single attack and beat all content with that. It would definitely require trade, and building up the wealth to trade with. So that's a different level of play that you're ignoring.
"
KiadawP wrote:
A good ARPG should have content that you can fly through like a demigod, but also contents that required some strategy (No dodging boos mechanics are not strategy).

I always maintain & still do, (until they change) about PoE.

Complex & deep customization & gearing, shallow gameplay. But the train has already left, & people who like PoE or stay to play expect zoom zoom gameplay.

If they change to have mobs presenting challenge & players cannot zoom zoom the game & watch youtube or streaming on ALt screens, they will cry foul.

Same with MP. If they start making MP good, & it's more beneficial to group up, the soloist, which is 80% of the PoE players, will whine.

So PoE will be what it is now, for its good or bad, even in PoE 4.0.

But that is okay, there will be other ARPG that will fuel the desire for people who may want more depth in gameplay or a better MP experience.

PoE (or any game do not need) to do everything.

MP is already way too overpowered.
The groups that actually play as a team get MUCH more money and the game done quicly than the solo players it just require a lot of preparation AND there is not many way to play :
1 carry and supports eitheir aura/curse/disc bots which is fine by some and not by others.

On the other hand what info we have from poe 2 and i've prob gather all that there is even some hint from chris saying in baeclast and all :

one of the lead game designer is a "support" player and want to expand the gameplay of group play to be more diverse and complex.
they want to make group tank/CC and all there will even be a marauder ascendency for that in PoE.

They want to slow the game down too somehow to make all those change revelant.

And for multiskill builds it's one of the big focus of PoE 2 skill gem change for being able to have different spells without the big downside of actual socket numbers and link.

On top of that they are adding since delirium skill gem that will serve a purpose in those multi skill playstyle like "support" spell with cd or combo spell.
Right now BB/BF dominate on the spell side of hcssf and it's one of those new skills added in delirium
And as the support CD spell we had a good share in the last league like :
Void sphere sigil of power frost shield hydrosphere and so on.

Im all for "more strategic" gameplay as you said and as far as i can see it's heading our way.
Heck it's even "meta" in hcssf where you usually can't automate all your spell and have to self cast and you'd rather gain power over less buttons pressing. darkee last delver was a big exemple of a build with so many button he had to use the 2nd spell bar for even his movement skills.

Speaking of that PoE need a huge UI revamp but i've seen they recruited UI designer especially for that so hopes up.
To vanquish without perils is to triumph without glory.
Thousands reach level 100. This should be shown to the people who constantly complain about exp penalty on death.
I like clear speed as much as the next guy. But it is dangerously damaging to deversity when the game starts demanding you to go fast through timers, rage-like mechanics and stuff like that. Clear speed should always be a choice, and should never be pushed/forced upon you.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Clear speed is the goal in every ARPG unless we talk about PVP stuff
"
Phrazz wrote:
I like clear speed as much as the next guy. But it is dangerously damaging to deversity when the game starts demanding you to go fast through timers, rage-like mechanics and stuff like that. Clear speed should always be a choice, and should never be pushed/forced upon you.

Yep we are at a point right now that the only mecanics mobs have that matter is on death effect.
that's why there are new on death effect each league because it's the only things players can actually feels and it's not a good sign.
Sometime a step back is the right choice
To vanquish without perils is to triumph without glory.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info