Noticed a strong buzz all around promoting pay to win china servers

"
Imaginaerum wrote:
"
e1337donkey wrote:
I don't really think anyone wants the pay to win component. They just want an easier way to trade items, solutions to the clutter of items everywhere to pick up manually. These kind of things pop up every single league because they are issues with the game.

so you want a pet to do all the work for you and an auction house to do all the work for you

I was commenting on how people keep talking about pay 2 win when nobody wants that from the chinese servers. They just want the features.

Personally I'm not sure.. I do think that loot has gotten out of control in this game. It is an issue for sure GGG have said this and are apparently working on this for PoE2. We all know how they feel about a full fledge AH.. again I'm not sure on this either. We kind of have an AH right now just without the automated final trade component to it.
"
Makillda wrote:
POE, even in China, isn't p2win. Do they sell a whole hell of a lot of convenience there? Yes, they do, but still nothing that enables a paying player to do something a free player cannot do.

You are literally describing pay2win in the mobile context. "You can totally do this without putting in your credit card number, it will just take 5x as long. Up to you, bro."

In non-PvP ARPGs such as PoE, currency gains per hour are the only reasonable win scenario I can think of. The ability to do something as a non-paying player that a paying player can do, albeit at a much slower rate, does not mean that paying your way out of that shit scenario is not pay2win.

Come on, people. This isn't difficult to grasp.
Wash your hands, Exile!
"
Makillda wrote:

F2P games generate revenue by selling stuff. Cosmetics, convenience items like exp boosters or bag space, pseudo-subscriptions like the battle pass in Fortnite and Dauntless, or actual p2win stuff like gear, skill points or other forms of player power. Just because a f2p game charges money for something doesn't make it p2win. The definition has been twisted beyond all reason by this generation of gamers to encompass anything that eases a pain point in a game and costs money.

Yeah they have to make money, but that doesn`t mean they always should charge for every little single thing in the game do they. People already supported the game way before premium stashes were tied to trade for example.

Currently GGG business is selling HYPE in the form of supporter packs, that`s why everything in points is so expensive, because you are not supposed to be buying points, you are supposed to be buying expensive supporter packs every league.

No matter how you look at it, stashes are p2w, albeit a very low impact p2w, so whatever. Overall i would say that winning in a competitive ARPGs is an equation with progression divided by time invested. Anything that improves progression or reduces time invested is "winning". But in the end this is a game, so ultimately the true winning condition is having fun. And there is no denying that QoL features makes the game more fun.
ggg just charge $59.99 for the game already and cut out all this f2p/p2w nonsense.
"I've played a lot of videogames. It's my primary recreational activity. Best games ever: Elden Ring and Diablo 4."
~Elon Musk, 2023
"
Makillda wrote:
Nothing on your post is p2win, none of it. Not a single one of them is an example of something that enables a paying player to do something that a non-paying player cannot. Free players can pick up currency. Free players have adequate inventory to play the game. Free players can plan their builds.

FFS, under most of the definitions of p2win I've seen in this thread, subscription fees are p2win. That is insane.

Everything is pay to win because the game has a ladder and a market. It's competition spirit cherished by game funders.
Even more than that: it's already Pay to play, simply.
Have fun playing the game several weeks with only 4 standard tabs, zero premium... While saying currency, fragment etc tabs are just "a convenience".

"
ggg just charge $59.99 for the game already and cut out all this f2p/p2w nonsense.

Will never happen, actual model is delivering more money and has a potential evolution into the chinese model which is (probably) jackpot.

Diablo 4 will have MTX btw.
Last edited by Universalis on May 17, 2020, 2:21:17 PM
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
The ability to do something as a non-paying player that a paying player can do, albeit at a much slower rate, does not mean that paying your way out of that shit scenario is not pay2win.

It absolutely isn't. In your scenario, you pay for convenience and win nothing. Quit stretching the definition of p2w.

"

I agree and, yet, here we are.
There are two types of POE players:
1) Those who want to walk uphill both ways barefoot on broken glass wearing a blindfold
2) F*cking noobs

I identify as transnational Chinese. May I have access to their QOL features, please?
"
Makillda wrote:
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
The ability to do something as a non-paying player that a paying player can do, albeit at a much slower rate, does not mean that paying your way out of that shit scenario is not pay2win.

It absolutely isn't. In your scenario, you pay for convenience and win nothing. Quit stretching the definition of p2w.

"

I agree and, yet, here we are.

The term pay2win has always referred to the ability to gain an advantage over another player by paying for it. You can call it a convenience if you want but there is a clear advantage to having the right stash tabs setup. A base level 4 stash tab player won't be able to keep up with a player using more tabs to handle all the items in the game.

Winning in PoE isn't really defined because you don't win. You do however gain a vast economic advantage over other players by spending money.. I guess you can call it pay2economicadvantage but pay2win is shorter.
"
e1337donkey wrote:

Winning in PoE isn't really defined because you don't win.

I'm so confused by everyone saying this. Winning is killing Sirus on awakening 8. I don't get how nobody considers beating the game winning in it.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
"
NexiieQT wrote:
I know needing to keep pay over and over again for the inventory size upgrade sucks, but WHY would you want to buy it in the first place is the questionable part for me, because I see very little value in bigger inventory size in current PoE. If you choose to buy it, you should be held responsible for buying it in the first place, knowing that it only last for a league and not permanently, and if you do some research, you'd know people have been playing with the default size completely fine. The advantage of few more inventory spots are minimal specifically for PoE. Maybe down the line in the future if GGG decides to add D2 charms that you could put in inventory for bonuses, then we are talking.

You COULD argue it's a trap for oblivious new players to buy it thinking bigger inventory size is super awesome and it's greedy for Tencent to do that, that I can understand. I'm not a fan of that.

You argue yourself that bigger inventory size is not needed, that it even could be detrimental. If that is so, there is no reason to implement it all. Why sell something - especially for just one league, that is actively bad for players?

Lets look at pets that pick up stuff. You shouldn't pick up the smaller currencies at all, you should not even show them in your lootfilter, as the time cost for pciking them up is not worth the reward. So what is a pet good for in that case? Oh, wait, maybe because suddenly even small currency is good to pick-up, as it costs you no time now to do it. BUT you still need the inventory-space for those currencies. Conveniently you can buy some more of it now...

PoE is a loot-based game. Everything that changes how look, pick-up, etc is implemented has potential to screw with the core premises of such a game.
"
Universalis wrote:

"

Will never happen, actual model is delivering more money and has a potential evolution into the chinese model which is (probably) jackpot.

Diablo 4 will have MTX btw.

You can't fund years of development by charging 59.99 once. You would have to still charge something... for example $10 for every new league. But GGG doesn't want to charge - neither for the base game nor for the leagues. Not doing so is providing an influx of old and new players every league that are trying out the new toys. Some will pay for MTX, some will get another stash-tab and many will play for free. But everyone feels like he can do so on his terms, without being forced to spend money if you don't want to.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info