Noticed a strong buzz all around promoting pay to win china servers

Why is it all around? Is it the next step?
Who is pushing for it?
Do your think this culture could be finally accepted on western servers?

Salvage box QOL

Maybe we should notice that YET in western servers we have some "pay to win" as stash tabs, but for a minor price accessible by almost everyone (if you can buy the bandwidth/internet access then you can probably buy the minimal tabs features, like 20 or 30 $)
And it's the only P2W feature available yet. Tabs.

Then, Chinese servers:

Picking up 1 other "pay to win" element like:
- pet grabbing currency
- increased inventory size
- integrated planner

Saying "oh look, this is only a small feature, not really pay to win" is a complete mistake when we start to have like 10, 20, or more features stacking all together and for a far superior price than tabs. All impacting the gameplay.

It's a trap, i don't want to get into it.
Last edited by Universalis on May 17, 2020, 8:13:54 AM
Last bumped on Jun 2, 2020, 11:44:40 AM
"
Universalis wrote:
Who is pushing for it?

Salvage box QOL

1. there was a race on the china server and some of the international streamers played on it which is why it is "all around"

2. no, it's not the next step

3.the terminally lazy and game abusers (hacks/bots script users) are the ones that want it.

4. No, the pay to win models are not going to be accepted in the west.

Some of the things might make it here, like the passive planer BUT that is not guaranteed...GGG also made a statement about gifting MTX a while back which was present on non GGG servers, they were testing it there and seeing if it was abused much before/if they implemented it here (guess it was)
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
"
Universalis wrote:
Who is pushing for it?

Salvage box QOL

1. there was a race on the china server and some of the international streamers played on it which is why it is "all around"

2. no, it's not the next step

3.the terminally lazy and game abusers (hacks/bots script users) are the ones that want it.

4. No, the pay to win models are not going to be accepted in the west.

Some of the things might make it here, like the passive planer BUT that is not guaranteed...GGG also made a statement about gifting MTX a while back which was present on non GGG servers, they were testing it there and seeing if it was abused much before/if they implemented it here (guess it was)

How can you be so sure? The game is already 'pay to play' with tabs, which was a convenience is no more now. This planer seems to be a part of the plan, another step forward. How much more profitable the western game would be for Tencent? I'm very curious to know.
Clearly promotion for china server, not exactly p2w but more like pay for everything.

The PoE DNA was diluted considerably in the chinese client with dime-a-dozen chinese MMO bad practices and I truly hope the spillage in the western client will be minimal, especially with PoE2 coming along.

I know my couple of bucks won't make a dent in the income, but should the realms merge I'll disappear without a look back. Not exactly whining but I've been slowly falling out of "love" with poe lately and this would be a major let-down.
Second-class poe gamer
Last edited by pr13st on May 16, 2020, 4:57:37 AM
There is a buzz, but it's highly unlikely there would be one if the only feature mismatch were pay2win aspects in the way your thread title implies.

Death logs, for instance, are a feature that made people sit up and take notice right away, both because of the current state of the game and because Chris has gone on record saying that the reason we don't have them is that there are too many calculations to track.* Yet, lo and behold, there they are in a streamer's vid!

I suggest becoming more familiar with the entire feature set before assuming that cultural norms are shifting toward a greater acceptance of pay2win.

Spoiler
*In fact he was probably telling the truth, after a fashion. Cause of death is often more nuanced than people realize. For instance, if you take 80% of your health in damage from an exploding orb, 15% from a DoT, and 5% from a white mob's strike, in that order, in the space of 300ms (so it looks like a one-shot), what should the server report? I assume the Chinese server reports the very last one, which would make it look like a one-shot from a white mob. People are already screaming about GGG's perennial neglect of anything remotely resembling balance, so I can easily imagine Chris and others deciding not to include this feature because they don't want to fuel the fire.
Wash your hands, Exile!
their deathlog is extremely simple chris isn't wrong, though i do think its a feature they should add if they want to continue with their current balance approach.

the simple one has its uses though, pretty good for bosses/1v1 content, pretty bad for general mapping
What's so pay to win about chinese PoE? Revive token can only be used once, and only for a character before 95. Pets only auto pick up low tier currency, excluding chaos. What else?
how about make it free? so it's not P2W anymore.

the real question is the game will become better or worse with those features.
Last edited by Ozxell on May 16, 2020, 9:27:16 AM
"
NexiieQT wrote:
What's so pay to win about chinese PoE? Revive token can only be used once, and only for a character before 95. Pets only auto pick up low tier currency, excluding chaos. What else?

I think there's a backpack too, increasing your character's inventory. And unlike stash tabs, this isn't a "one-time" purchase, but something you pay for each league. So, again, unlike stash tabs, you have to keep paying, over and over again, to get the same advantages as other players, making it far more P2W.

It's kinda funny, though. People are paining GGG as the big, bad P2W-wolf in every thread about monetization, yet; people are screaming for the Chinese P2W-elements.

People need to step back, and learn the difference between "this game needs" and "I want".

Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
NexiieQT wrote:

I think there's a backpack too, increasing your character's inventory. And unlike stash tabs, this isn't a "one-time" purchase, but something you pay for each league. So, again, unlike stash tabs, you have to keep paying, over and over again, to get the same advantages as other players, making it far more P2W.

It's kinda funny, though. People are paining GGG as the big, bad P2W-wolf in every thread about monetization, yet; people are screaming for the Chinese P2W-elements.

People need to step back, and learn the difference between "this game needs" and "I want".

What's so "winning" about bigger inventory? Pick up more 6 sockets? Maybe it helps with early league but nowadays leagues are so rewarding you are completely fine with the default inventory size. More inventory size is just extra convenience. Remember that picking up more loot slows you down as well and result in less currency/hour, as your clearing speed increases.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info