How well does your computer handle PoE?

Hey, on older engines, multicores aren't really used. Newer ones do a much better job using multicore cpu. This means, you want a fast and reliable single core performance on your cpu. I have the i7-4790k and I have a particularly good bin. Mine is overclocked to 5 Ghz and isn't loud (water cooled) and stays around 70C at full load. It is very important to do a really good job with the thermal paste on the block connection. Too much or too little can throw off the conductivity and you can literally fry your cpu if you did it wrong. It's likely that a preassembled tower may not have done an optimal thermal paste job, so check your temps vs others with same cpu.

I can say for certain that tower had a cpu bottleneck for this game. The 2060 RTX stomps my 1050 Ti and I have a minimum of 60 fps almost always and I think I only have GI turned off (gpu bottleneck). If I got a 2080 RTX I would expect a fairly consistent 144 fps in this game with GI turned on (1080p) or 60 fps at 4k.

I recommend swapping the cpu for a 9900ks with a high performance water cooler and going for 5Ghz if you want to have good performance on these older engines. A fast single core cpu is actually better at many of the newer games as well.

~edit~ I'm a mechanical engineer working in IT and my system was built for older engine games because I used to play Vindictus a lot. That game was even more poorly optimized and confused many people why their multicore cpu's were sweating. Although POE is optimized better, it has a trillion more things happening per second so this is still relevant. Any game built on an originally 1 core engine would have to literally be remade from scratch on a new engine to truly take advantage of multicore.
Last edited by DemigodParadox on Jan 13, 2020, 8:13:38 AM
My Specs:

CPU: i7-8700K @ 3.7GHz
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 MHz
HD: 500 GB Samsung Evo 960 m2
GPU: Geforce Ti 1070 8GB
Motherboard: TUF H370-Pro Gaming WIFI - This I am actually not to fond off due to my SSD loads everything quicker than the motherboard can load the ethernet, which means I have to wait a couple of seconds before I can open any apps

Everything runs smoothly
[3.9]Hasunic's Toxic Rain Trickster: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2712106
[3.7]Voidforge Flicker Strike Slayer: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2532214
[3.7]Oni-Goroshi Fire Vaal Reave Zerker: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2583978
Last edited by Hasunic on Jan 13, 2020, 8:57:36 AM
Cap the framerate to 60 or so (or simply turn on VSync). Fans kicking on generally means your GPU is pumping out every frame it can - despite if you actually see it or not.

POE uses ~40 - 50% of my GPU and less of my CPU. You're likely just spinning your wheels for no reason.
"
Hey, on older engines, multicores aren't really used. Newer ones do a much better job using multicore cpu. This means, you want a fast and reliable single core performance on your cpu. I have the i7-4790k and I have a particularly good bin. Mine is overclocked to 5 Ghz and isn't loud (water cooled) and stays around 70C at full load. It is very important to do a really good job with the thermal paste on the block connection. Too much or too little can throw off the conductivity and you can literally fry your cpu if you did it wrong. It's likely that a preassembled tower may not have done an optimal thermal paste job, so check your temps vs others with same cpu.

I can say for certain that tower had a cpu bottleneck for this game. The 2060 RTX stomps my 1050 Ti and I have a minimum of 60 fps almost always and I think I only have GI turned off (gpu bottleneck). If I got a 2080 RTX I would expect a fairly consistent 144 fps in this game with GI turned on (1080p) or 60 fps at 4k.

I recommend swapping the cpu for a 9900ks with a high performance water cooler and going for 5Ghz if you want to have good performance on these older engines. A fast single core cpu is actually better at many of the newer games as well.

~edit~ I'm a mechanical engineer working in IT and my system was built for older engine games because I used to play Vindictus a lot. That game was even more poorly optimized and confused many people why their multicore cpu's were sweating. Although POE is optimized better, it has a trillion more things happening per second so this is still relevant. Any game built on an originally 1 core engine would have to literally be remade from scratch on a new engine to truly take advantage of multicore.

Eh his is pre-made I don't think he wants to swap CPU's not to mention his right now is an AMD I don't think he can swap unless he removes the mother board too
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
Strained wrote:
Cap the framerate to 60 or so (or simply turn on VSync). Fans kicking on generally means your GPU is pumping out every frame it can - despite if you actually see it or not.

POE uses ~40 - 50% of my GPU and less of my CPU. You're likely just spinning your wheels for no reason.

Yeah well see his results like he gets rly rly rly scared of those fans make noises and I truly do want the person to play poe
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
He can always swap CPU without removing the motherboard, but remember to apply new cooling paste and don't fiddle to much when you switch the cpu.

Edit: you could check the bios. Some machines have set a base temperature to be extremely low, which causes the fans to go crazy trying to hit that low temperature.

Edit: I didn't want to emply that you could put a different brand cpu on a AMD motherboard. Mb.
[3.9]Hasunic's Toxic Rain Trickster: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2712106
[3.7]Voidforge Flicker Strike Slayer: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2532214
[3.7]Oni-Goroshi Fire Vaal Reave Zerker: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2583978
Last edited by Hasunic on Jan 13, 2020, 11:49:42 AM
Just gonna have to turn down the settings then. If you want to play poe maxed out at good fps you need a rig that has a fast intel cpu. No AMD card will ever match a top tier intel card on an older game like this. My rig will end up being around 3K USD when I finish upgrading it with a 7nm nvidia card (~1k USD) this summer. I'm realistically hoping for a min 144 fps at 1440p max settings when I'm done.
"

Still fairly confused of why he can run any top tier game without noises but he goes to poE and the fans are actually making noises lol

That one's pretty straightforward, most new games have vsync enabled by default, at least that's what i've noticed.

Had the same issue with PoE on new computer, then checked and it was running at 300FPS lol.

Same Developers go a smart step further and self limit the game on things like menu's or other simple tasks to stop it running at 5000 FPS and melting everything on the start menu.
My 5 year old self built runs it great now.

Sounds like a nice computer with shit fans IMO.

/shrug
Last edited by superbomb1967 on Jan 14, 2020, 12:06:22 PM
My pc runs this game great and every other game I throw at it.
Built it myself about 2-3 yrs ago.
I7-6700k
32GB 3300Mhz RAM
GTX1080ti
Samsung 850EVO 500GB

I usually play this game max settings on a 2k 144hz (average about 135fps-90fps in a heavy fight) monitor, and I used to play on a 4k monitor at 60fps locked, both with zero issues.

I use some MTX for flame dash and gear cosmetics, but nothing too crazy.(mostly stygian mtx)

Last edited by Gulch on Jan 14, 2020, 2:29:40 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info