How well does your computer handle PoE?

POE optimization is getting worse and worse with each upcoming update.
I can run all new games on high settings and keep my 60 FPS stable there without any problems.

POE just 3 leagues before was also stable for me. I used the same rig I use now, having smooth FPS 99% of the time easly.
Currently I lowered my POE settings and I struggle to get just 30FPS, not talking even about 60 FPS.
Also lowering most settings in POE does almost nothign to FPS, you gain like 3FPS per setting from max to high. Meaning the problem is somewhere else.

From my guess the game is bottlenecked super, super heavly on CPU (I guess 4x4,8GHZ CPU is way to weak for this game). Since when you turn dynamic resulotion the graphic turn to potato yet the game still get only like 10 FPS with is impossible to be a graphic card or RAM problem. The game just isnt able to calculate so many things at one time in optimal way.
"
herflik wrote:
POE optimization is getting worse and worse with each upcoming update.
I can run all new games on high settings and keep my 60 FPS stable there without any problems.

POE just 3 leagues before was also stable for me. I used the same rig I use now, having smooth FPS 99% of the time easly.
Currently I lowered my POE settings and I struggle to get just 30FPS, not talking even about 60 FPS.
Also lowering most settings in POE does almost nothign to FPS, you gain like 3FPS per setting from max to high. Meaning the problem is somewhere else.

From my guess the game is bottlenecked super, super heavly on CPU (I guess 4x4,8GHZ CPU is way to weak for this game). Since when you turn dynamic resulotion the graphic turn to potato yet the game still get only like 10 FPS with is impossible to be a graphic card or RAM problem. The game just isnt able to calculate so many things at one time in optimal way.

Just so.

Which means it's also a design problem.

Even if they can't replace their shitty engine, they can at least tweak their calculation requirements.
Wash your hands, Exile!
Just a tip:

If you need to squeeze more performance out of POE, you could try the "no sound" method. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHAem-5JW94

I actually tried it for days, & POE performance in my gaming laptop (i7-8750H, 16gb ram, GTX 1060) actually improved. But you have to deal with no fx sound though, but atleast you have the most important sound like loot filter, npc dialogue & chat notification I just listen to music while playing anyway so it's fine.

Maybe there's a logic why they change the frozen shatter sound previously afterall. There might be something in the sound of POE that actually causing an issues.
"A game IS supposed to waste your time but it's not supposed to make you FEEL like you're wasting your time:
It's supposed to make you WANT to waste your time."
don't think it is really much to do with the game(any game), RTX cards just seem to run quite hot which ramps up the fan speed.

Depending on the type you have the shroud cooler (encased GPU/FAN )which don't really get enough air flow, or just badly designed heat sinks (one such video review showing the weight of the heatsink pulling it off of what it was supposed to be cooling)

As sarno pointed out, pre built case designs are not great for cooling.

Got one before xmas for £1100 and ended up tearing it out to put in a new case, as the air flow such as it was, was non existent, no front fans, not front venting, a vented side panel but no fan and a tiny 90mm rear fan, the CPU cooler had a 80mm fan and just a plain aluminium fin cooler (no heat pipes)
Spoiler
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WHKQ7KS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So transplanted it into a new case, replaced the CPU cooler with a noctua one (for now) and i would tear the GFX card apart and fit a kraken g12 BUT the mounts have changed so it won't fit.

The link you have looks like the case is fairly well ventilated and it is using the wraith cooler BUT the GFX card it's showing is a GTX series card NOT RTX like they list, and the heatsink on that thing is really bad

Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Jan 12, 2020, 9:22:57 AM
i bet he runs without capped FPS and is getting like 300+ with 100% usage lol
d:-D*
"
"
boyandroid wrote:
Just a tip:

If you need to squeeze more performance out of POE, you could try the "no sound" method. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHAem-5JW94

I actually tried it for days, & POE performance in my gaming laptop (i7-8750H, 16gb ram, GTX 1060) actually improved. But you have to deal with no fx sound though, but atleast you have the most important sound like loot filter, npc dialogue & chat notification I just listen to music while playing anyway so it's fine.

Maybe there's a logic why they change the frozen shatter sound previously afterall. There might be something in the sound of POE that actually causing an issues.

This does work - but no sound...
It is not a good enough option.
I will take fighting invisible metas and full screen paintbucket loading times over no sound.

Yes it's not for everyone, but atleast we have the "last resort" option if we're that desperate.

Personally, I don't mind the no FX sound as long as there's the loot filter, NPC dialogue (important for boss fight especially hearing the "feel the trill of the Void!) & Chat notification sound.

But this "temporary fix" maybe an indicator that the problem is not just the visual clutter of POE that causing it to slow down like other players always blame on, there are more other aspect in the current game that need to be address.
"A game IS supposed to waste your time but it's not supposed to make you FEEL like you're wasting your time:
It's supposed to make you WANT to waste your time."
i play on console. it's shit but was cheap.
hardcore casual.

Playing PoE for years and having fun despite GGG.
"
AbilityPoints wrote:
it's shit but was cheap.

Path of Exile in the year 2020.
Wash your hands, Exile!
"
"
SkinnerSw33t wrote:
Did you check if the framerate is uncapped?

Huh yeah just checked right now his frame is uncapped is that a big deal? I really want him to play lol but hes like all paranoid his comp going to explode

It's a really common issue with PoE.

There are several reddit threads dedicated to the topic.
I have to swap floppies way too often. Oh wait... that's what we used to complain about.
Last edited by Shagsbeard on Jan 12, 2020, 10:39:43 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info