How well does your computer handle PoE?

It kind of laggs.
Honestly my main issue is not so much the pc but rather the lag, no matter the gate i have to always play with at least 200 ping...
32GB Memory
2080 Video card
8700k cpu
SSD drives
Playing with gsync on at 2560x1440

I tried the ignite explosive arrow build... game stutters when everything blows up.

Counterstrike GO also has crappy frame rates and lag... but newer games work fine and smooth at maxed out settings usually.. shrug
I'm running an i7-9800X, 2080TI, 32GB RAM, SSD...all the manufacturers and such escape me as I'm not at my home computer at the moment.

I play at 2560x1440, uncapped and in non-combat areas usually stick around 144 fps, 100-120 in most combat areas, and 75-90 with ridiculous builds and super cluttered areas.

Delve for some ungodly reason seems to drop me into the 50s sometimes, and I've had single digit frames in particularly long shaper/UE fights.

That said, fraction-of-a-second stutters seem to happen often, and things like metamorphs spawning cause maybe a 0.25 second hiccup.

It's a thing, but entirely playable. Weird though that max settings Apex Legends runs at a higher average framerate *shrug* :D

**EDIT** Should be noted that lag spikes actually cause framerate hiccups (engine issue?), and I've recorded 20 fps in areas where I magically had 150 ping for no reason, then the moment I get to another area and my ping goes back to 30, my fps immediately jumps back to ~100. I think they're tied together somehow so just watching FPS is kinda misleading.
Last edited by Redthorne82 on Jan 15, 2020, 4:50:38 PM
"
"
Strained wrote:
Cap the framerate to 60 or so (or simply turn on VSync). Fans kicking on generally means your GPU is pumping out every frame it can - despite if you actually see it or not.

POE uses ~40 - 50% of my GPU and less of my CPU. You're likely just spinning your wheels for no reason.

Yeah well see his results like he gets rly rly rly scared of those fans make noises and I truly do want the person to play poe

On a new PC that runs everything else fine, uncapped FPS will almost certainly be the issue there. If it's set to render as many frames per second as it possibly can, regardless of whether the monitor can even display them, no surprise his fans will be going at about 100%.
Basic Computer Stuff:

CPU: Intel Core i7-9800X 3.6 GHz (8 core/16 thread)
RAM: 32GB (8GBx4) DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance
GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti
Boot Drive - 512 GB Samsung 960 PRO M.2 PCIe SSD
Primary Storage SSD - 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

I run the game at 2560x1440 on a 144hz monitor. Generally, it's pretty smooth over 100 fps...but nothing like popping vaal ice nova as soon as you trigger a monolith. I've definitely seen FPS drop into the single digits.

Yeah, there's a point where the engine just can't keep up anymore.

With so much time before Path of Exile 2, and some of the insane things they've pulled in the past (like 6 more acts for 3.0), I wouldn't be surprised if they're going to show off a completely new engine.

If not, I give the game only a couple years until it's virtually impossible to introduce any more visual upgrades without tanking everyone's FPS into the dirt.
Aite we capped it at 60 some noises but it's not as bad as before still I find it ackward cuz he runs BF 5 in like ultra god settings no caps nothing then he logs into poe and yells at me and hes like yo you trying to blow up my computer?
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Runs just fine on my i5 4570, 8 gb ram and geforce gtx 670.

The problem is that nvidia's adaptive sync only works in fullscreen and this game is a pain to play in fullscreen with all the alt-tabbing.

So i run it in windowed fullscreen and then adaptive sync does not work so i have to use v-sync which cauyses lag when fps drops below monitor refresh rate.

Anyone got some news when adaptive sync will work in borderless fullscreen? I remember reading that they were working on it some time ago.

That's an important thing to keep in mind if anyone is upgrading to play this game. Amd's freesync works in borderless fullscreen. A big advantage for path of exile.

Last edited by kompaniet on Jan 18, 2020, 5:43:28 PM
Was using low settings and still struggling in particle filled zones.

Asus H97-PLUS
Intel Core i5-4690
Asus Nvidia GTX 650 Ti
PNY CS1311 480GB SSD
WD Blue 500GB
8GB HyperX Fury DDR3 1600 C10 2x4GB

Swapped out the old 650 Ti for a Sapphire AMD RX 590. Now she sings on high settings.

Night and day difference.
Any signature worth using is against the rules. Therefore, no signature will be found here.
Last edited by The_Impeacher on Jan 18, 2020, 6:24:41 PM
If I'm not mistaken, and I'm no expert in PoE engine, but most performance problems happens on server-side, at instance processing.

My guess is that they cap the process so one instance with many many pack monster don't steal the process of another instance with low pack monster.

I say that because some times when the lag spike is really high and u die, it sudden stops, which doesn't make any sense if the problem was your machine, but does make sense if the problem is the server-side, because there is much less processing to do when the player is dead.

Another thing that made me think that way is because this happens only when you play on Lockstep mode, if you change to Predictive (which is worse IMO), the game doesn't lag, but strange things starts to happens.

That said, there is hope for the PoE 2 engine, because I think most rework is done on server-side.

Those are my cents.
Last edited by CapetaDoMal on Jan 19, 2020, 9:49:09 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info